The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

And another on bites the dust

After 50 years it looks like AARC HAS CANCELLED the fall swap meet again and might not do it anymore, read below,
To all vendors:
It is with much regret that I must inform you that the Antique Auto
Restorers Club of Bellingham has determined that it is not possible
for us to sponsor the Monroe Fall Auto Swap Meet in 2022 and in the
foreseeable future.
If you have rolled over your payment for the 2021 swap meet to the
2022 meet you will be receiving a refund withing the next 30 days.
Ray
AARC Fall Auto Swap Meet Reservations
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: And another on bites the dust

A sad thing to see that, any idea what the cause is for the dis-continuing of the meet? Club members aging out, lack of interest and or attendance (highly doubtful-?) loss of venue? Sadly seems the swap meets are the next in line from the old time race tracks going under. Sign of the times? Hate to see them go, I'm like a kid in a candy shop at a swap meet.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
A sad thing to see that, any idea what the cause is for the dis-continuing of the meet? Club members aging out, lack of interest and or attendance (highly doubtful-?) loss of venue? Sadly seems the swap meets are the next in line from the old time race tracks going under. Sign of the times? Hate to see them go, I'm like a kid in a candy shop at a swap meet.
It would be helpful to know the reason. Covid? That seems to have taken a back seat around here. We just had Whiskey Flat Days here in Kernville and the town was packed. It had one of the highest attendances ever. People are itching to get out of the house.

Maybe it was the venue. They might have pulled the plug for some insurance liability issue.

I tend to stay away from swap meets these days because I know I'll spend waaay too much money.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
Just call me Sean

I think most people are buying online.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
jweb

My father in law is part of the local Mode A club. They have organized a small swap meet here for about 50 years. The last 2 years it didn't happen due to Covid. This year it won't happen for a few reasons.

1: They had a hard time getting the venue to give them a yes or no answer, the swap meet is usually in June and they just got the OK last week. This doesn't give them much time to get all of the info out to possible vendors and collect payments for the booths.

2: Volunteers, so many people have changed their routines over the last few years. So they are having a hard time getting everyone back to help out. I have seen this problem with multiple local organizations that rely on volunteers.

I'm sure many other swap meets are effected by the same thing. If you also consider the age of the people putting these on , I think several of them will have a hard time coming back at all.

There will be both swap meets in Portland next month, but parking will be a mess.

http://portlandswapmeet.com/

https://portlandraceway.com/?/events/major_events
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Swap meets beat the snot out of buying online. Was this swap meet very big? I always assumed it was a decent sized swap meet. I don't know of any swap meets shutting down in this region, even with the ups and downs of Covid. We have two local AACA chapter swap meets in March. The first one was to be last Saturday. A snow storm knocked that one out, but it will be back next year. The weekend after this will be the other one. I think these local swap meets have been getting bigger

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-17-2022 at 06:40 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

This is for the Fall Swap Meet? Ive heard from a couple of vendor buddies and confirmed with Mike the Spring Meet is on. I have no idea who sponsors what ... I just go =)

Im sitting on so much stuff I want to sell local because of the hassles to sell and ship online.