The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #2151
jaros44sr

Re: PO has me PO'd

Skorp, i think what peaked my interest first in your build, was the old enduros, great work on them. Ive gotten back into riding this last few years, after about 40 years away. My dual sport was a blast this summer, and i gained enough confidance in my ability to push it hard. Its like driving a sports car on these back country roads around here...

Sooo, i was hooked, always enjoy seeing major mods. being attempted. When it all comes together, should be a excellant ride with all the improvments.

Plus the fact you were using pin drives, i needed know how you were going to pull that off....ive contemplated those for my 4X4 for many years, but the idea is stalled again. But, i did contact your vender and have gotten closer with their help...good people over there

Anyway, enjoy your writing stlye(brain fart), and look forward to your continued updates.

Im not very good at linking a bunch of words and thoughts together(mind wanders often), so, i try to fill my thread with pics, and let everyone else form their own thoughts of what im trying to accomplish

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-24-2013 at 12:02 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #2152
skorpioskorpio

Interstingly my last crazy road racer car build was built in Philly back in the '80s, ironically another aluminum engine swap, that one a '63 Buick Skylark engine into a '76 Buick Skyhawk which met it's demise on the Belgium block of Germantown Ave. Whole front end came apart attempting a quick flip onto a side street, I haven't owned a unibody car since.

Those dual sports are just plain fun to ride, I raced 6 seasons back in the late '70s, 2 Motocross, 2 Enduro, and 2 Flatrack all on 4 stroke Honda singles. I actually have most of the parts to do a bored out thumper cafe racer (440 cc) once the truck is done, which seems a long way off right about now.

When the Skyhawk broke, I sold it, what was left of it, with every intention of buying a Honda 500 intercepter, which never happened. Philly had some fantastic roads to play on, particularly in Chester county and in and around Fairmont park. Now here I am 30 years later on the other coast, and again with great roads and I'm building the vehicles from that time that I never had a chance to. The main project inbetween then and now was/is a lifted square body Suburban with 37s that no longer fits my needs or parking spots or parking garages for that matter.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #2153
jaros44sr

Thats wierd to hear Germantown Ave and Chester County coming from a left coast guy. I got your drift on cobble stones, they suck! Seriously....

I think, if i ever get this truck done, ill build a cafe racer out of a norton or a triumph. My early days of riding were spent on english bikes

Soooo, what took you to California?

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #2154
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Thats wierd to hear Germantown Ave and Chester County coming from a left coast guy. I got your drift on cobble stones, they suck! Seriously....

I think, if i ever get this truck done, ill build a cafe racer out of a norton or a triumph. My early days of riding were spent on english bikes

Soooo, what took you to California?
I started in the middle actually.

Not that my truck budget doesn't make most bike projects look like pocket change, Brit bikes have just gotten so expensive to do. Besides, I'm a speed demon at heart so to keep myself in check, I've decided to limit my future projects to 6 cylinder cars and 1 cylinder bikes. Not that that is a good plan since my 6 will be double the HP of the original 8 in the truck and a built Honda single will beat a CB750 of the same year to 60 easily, but it helps me sleep at night, or at least have pleasent dreams.

What took me to California? A truck, a dog and a stripper, fitting I suppose since I was in South Carolina at the time, I mean it sounds like a country song, no? I was a consultant, I've lived in 14 states, spent more than a week in almost 40 of them, my Suburban has had tags from 6. Dog died, Stripper ran away, but I still have the truck for now and I had that before the other 2.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #2155
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
I started in the middle actually.

Not that my truck budget doesn't make most bike projects look like pocket change, Brit bikes have just gotten so expensive to do. Besides, I'm a speed demon at heart so to keep myself in check, I've decided to limit my future projects to 6 cylinder cars and 1 cylinder bikes. Not that that is a good plan since my 6 will be double the HP of the original 8 in the truck and a built Honda single will beat a CB750 of the same year to 60 easily, but it helps me sleep at night, or at least have pleasent dreams.

What took me to California? A truck, a dog and a stripper, fitting I suppose since I was in South Carolina at the time, I mean it sounds like a country song, no? I was a consultant, I've lived in 14 states, spent more than a week in almost 40 of them, my Suburban has had tags from 6. Dog died, Stripper ran away, but I still have the truck for now and I had that before the other 2.
Well, i guess it could been worse, the sub. died, your dog ran away, and the stripper was still around....

Didnt know the engish stuff was or is expensive, figures, stuff i like costs money. Maybe ill have to rethink my next project

Well im still stuck on this fuel tank install.....yesterday i looked at dropping the tank 3/8" , and going with the factory location. If the filler neck still clears the frame, i should be set, ill see what challenges today brings

May have figured out how to install the oem filler neck on this repop tank

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #2156
jaros44sr

OK, the 3/8" worked ( dropped the tank down) for the fuel pump clearance, with the tank in the OEM location. Body can still be raised, if need be....

Now i have to tackle the filler neck, out with the repop, in with OEM. I am really getting tired of putting all my thoughts into this tank mod., as im sure you guys are tired of reading about it...thank goodness i dont get paid by the hour

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #2157
jaros44sr

Removed the stubby neck....i want to repeat, this tank never had any fuel or any other flammable liquid in it

20131026_132208 by jarosaj, on Flickr

20131026_132257 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-27-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #2158
jaros44sr

Tank is up and in....repop mounting straps leave alot to be desired. Plan is to use the OEM mounting parts and the galvanized straps of the repops

20131027_125821 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #2159
SONOSADSACK

Nice work on the tank Jim. I’ve been putting that job off as long as possible as I haven’t been real sure what way I want to go.
Jumping back to post #2126 (wow 2126 posts!)
“it’s nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when I first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, I joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes.” I am like hgs_notes “I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people.” I’ve only posted a little over 200 times since 2009 but I do watch and learn too. And, I would have to add the quality of work that you are doing inspires and excites guys like me. It keeps me going and that is much appreciated.
SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #2160
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK View Post
Nice work on the tank Jim. I’ve been putting that job off as long as possible as I haven’t been real sure what way I want to go.
Jumping back to post #2126 (wow 2126 posts!)
“it’s nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when I first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, I joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes.” I am like hgs_notes “I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people.” I’ve only posted a little over 200 times since 2009 but I do watch and learn too. And, I would have to add the quality of work that you are doing inspires and excites guys like me. It keeps me going and that is much appreciated.
Thanks Bud....nice of you to say. Sometimes when you post up in these threads, you wonder if anyone is really listening, most of the time it just feels like youre talking to to yourself....HELLO, is anyone home lol

The saga of the tank continues, the tank straps are pure junk from the repop company, and are sorly in need of some more attention. Soaking in vinegar

BTW, if you should decide to use the stubby neck on your new tank, i have a SS bent tube and hose if you need it

Now, get back out in your shop, continue to do that great work on your truck, and post up more than 200 times, so I CAN watch and learn.....

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #2161
jaros44sr

After a couple day soak, parts are ready for reassembly....both ends of the repop strap are bent to a 90 degree angle. The end that will accept the J hook has to be bent back and flattened to add a 1/2" of length

Is every rivet that GM uses got to be a PITA to get out?

20131030_125315 by jarosaj, on Flickr

Gotta get the proper hardware, maybe even the correct rivets

20131031_122323 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-31-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #2162
mtully79

Talking Re: PO has me PO'd

I had the same issue with the repop straps, what a PITA to do the install of my new tank. I'm not a welder so I had a shop cut the old filler neck and tack it onto my new one. The best was when I used a 5 gallon gas tank to fill it up to run it around the block all the gas came spitting out at me b/c my brainiac self never unplugged the vent line.

Been reading this thread as a reference, thanks so much for writing it all down!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #2163
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtully79 View Post
I had the same issue with the repop straps, what a PITA to do the install of my new tank. I'm not a welder so I had a shop cut the old filler neck and tack it onto my new one. The best was when I used a 5 gallon gas tank to fill it up to run it around the block all the gas came spitting out at me b/c my brainiac self never unplugged the vent line.

Been reading this thread as a reference, thanks so much for writing it all down!
Thanks for the 'heads up' on the fuel vent line, also
thanks for reading, glad i could be of assistance, this tank has been a rather long winded affair, but once the straps are done i could be out of the woods and back onto the fuel lines.....where this whole part started.

Wierd, but i called a company today to buy rivets, and no one was home....never had that happen before

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #2164
mtully79

Yea I find it odd when I have to work hard to give a company my money!

Mine started with the lines as well, then it turned into the tank, straps, pump, carb, springs, new distributor. alternator.....haha!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #2165
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtully79 View Post
Yea I find it odd when I have to work hard to give a company my money!

Mine started with the lines as well, then it turned into the tank, straps, pump, carb, springs, new distributor. alternator.....haha!
Well, their phone lines were down yesterday, so i used their on-line store. Rivets coming in the mail, if anyone needs 4....

Funny how these builds progress, starts out as a simple fix, then turns into 'might as well'

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #2166
jaros44sr

Got the rivets in the mail today, in the search for a bucking bar, maybe Matco. The head is alittle large, but it is a 7/32" shank

Just found the 7/32" rivet set tool, it was on a surplus aviation mechanics tool site. Cool site for all kinds of unusual tools....the store was called the yard

This set is for a AN470, which is a universal set, about the same as ours

Pretty amazing place, this thing called WWW. totally unlike the olden days with catalogs, i think you could find anything.....

20131105_115531 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 11-05-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #2167
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Might I ask the name of the supplier for those rivets?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #2168
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Might I ask the name of the supplier for those rivets?
Sure Cap.....i dont know how to do links, so ill spell it out

Jay Cee Sales & Rivet, Inc
32861 Chesley Drive
Farmington, Mi
248-478-2150

They have have a on line store for small orders, which i used

If you just need a few, ill send them to ya. They were $7.00 for a box of a hundred. They only have 1/2" lenght rite now, so, you might have to cut them down, or add a washer

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 11-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #2169
swamp rat

Quote:

32861 Chesley Drive
Farmington, Mi
248-478-2150

If you just need a few, ill send them to ya. They were $7.00 for a box of a hundred. They only have 1/2" lenght rite now, so, you might have to cut them down, or add a washer
Real easy, left click the mouse and drag it across the address bar at the top of the screen to highlight it in blue, release the button then press the right button again, click on copy with the left button, then go to a post reply and hit the right button again and click paste.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #2170
NASTY-LSX

great work and nice truck
NASTY-LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #2171
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Real easy, left click the mouse and drag it across the address bar at the top of the screen to highlight it in blue, release the button then press the right button again, click on copy with the left button, then go to a post reply and hit the right button again and click paste.
Yeah but,....i work off a tablet, thanks for the attempt to educate me

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #2172
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY-LSX View Post
great work and nice truck
Thanks for watching nasty

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #2173
swamp rat

Quote:
Yeah but,....i work off a tablet, thanks for the attempt to educate me
Humm, the only tablet i know how to use requires a sharpened pencil..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #2174
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Humm, the only tablet i know how to use requires a sharpened pencil..
Good one.....just makes it easier to post up from the workshop, or work.

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #2175
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have heard of them but I have never looked into just what all they carry. Thanks for the info and the offer, but I don't have an immediate need for rivets. Just for future needs

Quote:

32861 Chesley Drive
Farmington, Mi
248-478-2150

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote