The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
Old Doug

Rubber A arm Bushings lube

This is on a 1968 chevy car but it has bushings like a 73 and up 1/2 two wheel drive.The bushings are in good shape but there so stiff and it has good newer springs and shocks every thing is in good shape but i think the bushings are so stiff that it will not flex after it moves up or down . Its a friends car just drove some in the summer. If it was in the fall i would have more time and replace them. Would it help to spray them with silicone spray?
Old Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Rubber A arm Bushings lube

I remember in high school when I had a 64 falcon that would squeak every winter after driving through a few puddles. My dad had a silicone/wax spray that we would soak the bushings with and it was good for another year
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
Old Doug

The owner told me that the tires were squealing. i drove it about a month ago it did it a little turning sharp. I changed the oil yesterday and drove it to town. I made a 90 degree turn at a stop lite and it did it for 2 miles . The front end was rebuilt several years ago and driven under 2000 miles a year after that. It has stiff front springs and seats up good. I think for some reason the front end is so stiff that it isnt flexing and going back to were it should after a bump or sharp turn. I am going to get some silicone spray today and jack it up spray it and check it over. I replaced the shocks but maybe their hanging up.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Doug View Post
The owner told me that the tires were squealing. i drove it about a month ago it did it a little turning sharp. I changed the oil yesterday and drove it to town. I made a 90 degree turn at a stop lite and it did it for 2 miles . The front end was rebuilt several years ago and driven under 2000 miles a year after that. It has stiff front springs and seats up good. I think for some reason the front end is so stiff that it isnt flexing and going back to were it should after a bump or sharp turn. I am going to get some silicone spray today and jack it up spray it and check it over. I replaced the shocks but maybe their hanging up.
This makes me think the bushings were tightened while the arms were extended thus possibly putting them in a bind when the suspension is @ rest. I would first loosen & re-tighten the a-arm bushing pivots w/full weight on the suspension & see if that helps before applying anything to the bushings. Anything petroleum based breaks down rubber bushings so keep that in mind when seeking solutions for squeaky stuff.

Another possibility is the alignment. Tires squeaking after directional change could indicate the Toe setting is not optimal. Might be worth having it double checked.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
Old Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This makes me think the bushings were tightened while the arms were extended thus possibly putting them in a bind when the suspension is @ rest. I would first loosen & re-tighten the a-arm bushing pivots w/full weight on the suspension & see if that helps before applying anything to the bushings. Anything petroleum based breaks down rubber bushings so keep that in mind when seeking solutions for squeaky stuff.

Another possibility is the alignment. Tires squeaking after directional change could indicate the Toe setting is not optimal. Might be worth having it double checked.
You brought up some good points. I grease the ball joints and sprayed silicon spray on the bushings and bounced the front end up and down .I took it for a drive and it drove better and the tires didnt make any noise. The left upper a arm dosent have any shims so there is a problem.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Old Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I remember in high school when I had a 64 falcon that would squeak every winter after driving through a few puddles. My dad had a silicone/wax spray that we would soak the bushings with and it was good for another year
Me and a buddy put a 289 in his 61 falcon when we were in high school i would like to have one today.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Me and a buddy put a 289 in his 61 falcon when we were in high school i would like to have one today.
Had a 260 in mine with the 2 speed auto
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Ru-Glyde in a spray bottle. Best rubber lube out there I've been using it since the 70s
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
You brought up some good points. I grease the ball joints and sprayed silicon spray on the bushings and bounced the front end up and down .I took it for a drive and it drove better and the tires didnt make any noise. The left upper a arm dosent have any shims so there is a problem.
Not a problem if the desired specs were achieved during an alignment.

The Left vs. Right sides will usually have different shim stack quantities. It is weird not having any shims. But if it's working (you don't have to fight it driving down the road & it's not eating up tires) then you're probably fine.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote