The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Shaved Firewalls&relocated hardware. I need pics and Lots of understanding.... & pics

Ok I just Scored a new cab for the truck for $50 with a title. Ill be picking it up tomorrow! Now, since I have the luxury of doing the body work with the cab off and Im not pressed for time to get my current ride put back together im going to put it on a rotisserie and do it right. The body work im sure I will have to learn as I go but my biggest question is about shaving the firewall. I want to get rid of everything that isnt the engine. So heres my issues. The actual shaving of the firewall should be easy or at least fairly straight forward. BUT...

1)Where do I put the heater core and blower cause it gets freakin cold here! Supposed to be a low of -13 tomorrow (dont currently have A/C but wouldnt mind it later)? Pics Please!

2)Where do I put the Master Cyllinder (currently not power assisted but Id like it to be)? Pics Please

3) Where do I put the Wiper Motor (cant get rid of that cause this will be a daily driver not a show truck)? Pics Please

The most common Ive seen is the shaved heater core and blower and just 4 hoses. These all look strangely similar so is that just a kit like vintage air? The hardest part I think will be the Master Cyllinder cause where the heck does the booster go?! Your advise will be greatly appreciated but Im primarily a Visual Learner and pictures speak 1000 words. Thats why the insistent nagging for pics. It can be pics of the firewalls or of the relocated hardware but I need something to learn off of either way.
As always Thanks in Advance Everyone!
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Re: Shaved Firewalls&relocated hardware. I need pics and Lots of understanding.... &

No offense and I'm no body man, but it really sounds like you want a show truck to use as a non show truck. There's no problem with that, but when someone relocates their master cylinder it goes under the floor typically like an old hot rod. That'll be fun to change the brake fluid on a 2 year basis as reccomended. Shaving the firewall does look slick I have to give you that, but there are just so many other things you could do to your truck that would make a difference and be user friendly. Know what I mean?

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Re: Shaved Firewalls&relocated hardware. I need pics and Lots of understanding.... &

No offense taken. Yeah I do kindof want a show truck but she's not gonna be a trailer queen by any means. It will be driven in the snow and weather and used to haul things. I know it will cause more work in other areas but I don't mind doin things the hard way at all. Im just very particular on how I like things to look and a wired cluttered mess under the hood just will not do. I've always had a vision in my head of my truck someday when it might ever be finished, to be very minimal and simplistic. I will be getting rid of anything I don't need and shaving anything that could cause rust later. With or without the amazing advise you guys have, and the expansive knowledge base too, ill be diving into this project head first. I just thought I would try to take my blindfold off first.

Propane, when u say there's so many other things I can do did you mean anything specific? Cause if you have any ideas feel free to share. Im sure there's a ton of stuff I've never thought of. Thahks for your input!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Flat 67

blazerboy_4life,
Here is what is what you can use to relocate your mastercylinder...................................Hope this helps...........Flat67

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/produ...kesystem2.html
Flat 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

On shaved firewalls, the under dash masters/boosters are an option. To fit that, the A/C and the wipers is tight. Will have to do a remote wiper motor. And look for a smaller vintage air/old air/hot rod air unit. Also, you don't have to have the hoses come out the firewall. I like them hidden through the cowl in the side and in the inner fenders with a low mounted compressor. They practically disappear that way.

Another option on the brakes is a frame mounted booster with a remote fill master.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Richard H.
Spanked once

You can get some ideas from my build thread. Be warned it is involved with skills and planning. Also mine has been mocked up for a Vintage air gen 2.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
You can get some ideas from my build thread. Be warned it is involved with skills and planning. Also mine has been mocked up for a Vintage air gen 2.
I cant seem to find your build thread... or if I did i think I overlooked your instructions and detail on moving things inside of your firewall. By the way it looks NICE!! Where did you get the collar for the steering column?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Richard H.
Spanked once

I'm a one finger typist , so there is not much of a how to in my build unless asked. The floor mount you see is from Ididit. With the brakes under the dash it does make it tight for things ,for instance the brake reservoirs are under the cowl ,wiper motor is all the way to the right side
with the vintage air.
If I did another the brakes would be on the frame. I'm doing the the engine bay dress up and such when the weather is good and not having the brakes and a/c in the way is sweet.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
I'm a one finger typist , so there is not much of a how to in my build unless asked. The floor mount you see is from Ididit. With the brakes under the dash it does make it tight for things ,for instance the brake reservoirs are under the cowl ,wiper motor is all the way to the right side
with the vintage air.
If I did another the brakes would be on the frame. I'm doing the the engine bay dress up and such when the weather is good and not having the brakes and a/c in the way is sweet.
How do you hook up the master cyllinder to the pedal with the brakes under the dash? Do you have photos of everything finished from the inside?

Last edited by blazerboy_4life; 02-06-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Richard H.
Spanked once

This link shows my brake set up..
http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/hanging_p...ssemblies.html
there are other systems out there such as Scotts ,ABS , ect. If you clicked on the link in my signature line that is all the pics I have.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Orangetonicclicc

I shaved my heater core area. I plan on keeping the master cylinder but I will be upgrading it to all chrome. I think that will be an awesome look check out my pictures to notice my firewall shavings

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=Urban+retro
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Orangetonicclicc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
On shaved firewalls, the under dash masters/boosters are an option. To fit that, the A/C and the wipers is tight. Will have to do a remote wiper motor. And look for a smaller vintage air/old air/hot rod air unit. Also, you don't have to have the hoses come out the firewall. I like them hidden through the cowl in the side and in the inner fenders with a low mounted compressor. They practically disappear that way.

Another option on the brakes is a frame mounted booster with a remote fill master.
Can you educate me on the remote wiper motors? How much and where can I find that set up?
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote