The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Question Brake fluid resevoir ?

Got in the ol' truck yesterday, and as I backed out of the carport, the brake pedal didn't feel right, so I pulled around to the garage and checked the fluid. My reservoir is a 2 part one, front and back, and the back was out of fluid, while the front seemed to be over filled. This same thing happened about 2 months ago, and I re-filled and checked for leaks (put the truck on a lift to check everything), and could not find any indication of a leak. Yesterday, I just looked underneath at the inside of the wheels, and still no signs of a leak. Today, it is 20 degrees with a 30 mph north wind, so I thought I'd just ask you guys for any ideas, fixes, or bits of wisdom that I may ponder 'till the weather straightens up. One other thing, the rubber whatchamacallit that looks like a training bra for a F**d driver's girlfriend looks a little pathetic on the back side, kinda like ol' F**d boy has been suckin' on it (the average F**d boy doesn't know how to un-hook a bra ya know).

------------------[*]'71 Cheyenne, 402BB[*]Winfield, KS[*] http://barn9.freeservers.com[*] steer50@hotmail.com

Old 03-21-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
boilrman
70 Chevy 3/4t

Cool

I have had the same problem. Change the rubber seal that is under the cap.

------------------
1971 Chevy 1/2t, 350
1998 Yamaha V-Star 650
1970 Chevy 3/4t, I6(freshly rebuilt), 4 speed
Keokuk,IA

http://communities.msn.com/SchweringFamily/shoebox.msnw

MSN Messenger = boilrman
Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

Kokomo,IN
boilrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
busterwivell

Too funny! Good luck on the brakes. It's sunny and 88 in Tucson. Guess I'll go home and wash my truck tonight.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
Gordo

Talking

Could be a few things but, when the weather permits I would pull all four wheels and do a good inspection of the brakes. The only time I see the rubber "gasket" on the master change shape is when someone adds oil, ATF or something besides brake fluid in there, this would also mess up the master seals and allow blow-by, possibly pushing fluid from one bowl into the other, if this is the case it would eventually travel down to the calipers and wheel cylinders. Also the back half of the master may be leaking out the back of the master and into the power booster (if you have one).

------------------
1971 C10 swb stepside 350/700R4/3.73posi
Killingworth, Connecticut
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

88 ?! holy damn !!! only place hotter is australia right now, damn,...
meanwhile us over here 60 degrees F away from out there....

lmao at fordboy stuff, so how do you go about unhooking a bra ? i know how i do it, but i wanna know about how you do, you must have a really slick way of doing so,
teach me oh wise bra dude

[This message has been edited by Fast68Chevy (edited March 21, 2002).]
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Wink

It is possible that I have used 2 different brands of brake fluid, therefore causing a mix, but if anything else is in there, then it came from a service shop that has been added in the past. I guess what you are telling me is that if the rubber is bad, the fluid is getting forced into the front chamber. I'm kinda wondering about the booster since you mentioned it. I have never messed with a brake booster in my life. Could the lost fluid be collecting in the booster housing?

Hey fast, you of all people should be able to figure out how I unhook a bra, I do it as FAST as possible!

------------------[*]'71 Cheyenne, 402BB[*]Winfield, KS[*] http://barn9.freeservers.com[*] steer50@hotmail.com

Old 03-22-2002, 01:19 AM   #7
nroden

Just wanted to say I like the bra comparison thing there. I couldn't tell ya anything about unhooking a bra

------------------
Nick Rodenberg
Wellington, MO
http://nickrod.port5.com
You can click on "My 72 Chevy Truck"
I have a 72 Cheyenne 10 with a V8 350 and a TH-350 auto-tranny.
White/Ochre/White
Runs well... working on body.
Hoping to have completed in March when I turn 16

Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:19 PM   #8
Gordo

Talking

To start with,,you could unbolt the master and pull it forward leaving the lines attached and take a look see if it's wet back there, if it is, replace master, if not bolt it back in, no money lost.

------------------
1971 C10 swb stepside 350/700R4/3.73posi
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:47 PM   #9
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

I noticed the same thing on mine about a month ago. I checked the fluid and it was low so I drove the truck to NAPA to get some more fluid. When I got home, I popped the hood and found that there was fluid leaking from the front top edge of the master. I pulled the cap and noticed that the whole top edge of the master was rusted pretty bad. I'm guessing that the rust isn't allowing it to seal properly. So, I went back to NAPA and ordered another master.
I haven't put it on yet though, so the truck is just sitting in the garage......I don't want to drive it on the salty roads right now anyhow

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote