The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Too Old, Too New, Just Right...

Would you folks say this generation truck is a nice balance between old and new?
I have a 65 that I mainly use for a simple drive here and there and to haul stuff.
I want to get something that I can use more for daily driving and to take camping and stuff. I feel my 65 is too vulnerable to get stolen if I park it and hike in somewhere. And the newer ones I don't think I could do much of the work on it myself.
What's your thoughts?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: Too Old, Too New, Just Right...

New ones aren't any harder to work on then this generation.

Its easy to hid a kill switch if your worried about the old one getting stolen.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The GMT400s are lookin' real simple to me these days. When they came out I considered them too new for me to work on. Now I see them as barely more modern to work on, and I do. The best part is they are as modern as a vehicle needs to be today. You have aerodynamics (better than new IMO), overdrive, fuel injection, and even though a modern design I now see them as the transition into modern. GM did a great job of creating a totally new truck (that they did a heap of homework to create), they have resemblance to the prior trucks. Especially the base/single headlight trucks. I have been daily driving this '95 K2500 Suburban for 7 years now/100,000 miles with barely any work needed. Not bad for $2,500.

I bought a '92 K3500 new and drove it 22 years/325k miles with same excellent service. I also had a '95 K3500 a while during that ownership. That was in an accident. '95 is the newest truck I have owned.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

These 88-98 trucks are a great truck to own now days. There are plenty still on the roads and plenty of new and used parts readily available. It's an easier to work on truck than the later models with SO many electricals on them.
After just acquiring my 91 I have been comparing the ride and drive of it to the 06 and 09 trucks we have and the 91 doesn't drive anything like the newer two. Total different feel from the steering feel to interior features like auto on/off headlamps, auto door locks, not to mention the difference in hp.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
dave6672

Agree with Tim and Boog. Driving something old with just enough modern touches.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
LT7A

I think they're great for the reasons discussed. Key updates like overdrives and fuel injection and old enough to have cool style. I would not want to leave mine at a trailhead and hike in though. I would expect the tailgate to be gone when I came back. I gauge truck values by what the yard maintenance guys around here are driving. They have moved on to the next generation which means those are the cheapest trucks on the market now. That means that the OBSs are going to start coming up - have been. You might find key parts missing when you come back out of the woods. The tail end of last century and the aughts might be what you're looking for.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Yes, the prices on these have went up considerably in just the last year.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #8
pwdcougar

I got my 97 Silverado new in early March 1997. Even though it's almost 25 years old with 150,000 miles it's my preferred daily and road trip driver. It's got the original exhaust and front end components. On last weekends 3 1/2 hour trip it ran flawlessly. It ran at a steady 75mph the whole time. If it didn't have undersized tires I would have gone faster. They are excellent trucks and tons of parts are available for them.
Attached Images

1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

These trucks go hundreds of thousands of miles with ease.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #10
Just call me Sean

Depends on which years you are talking about. 88-95 are much simpler than 96-99.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #11
jocko

88-94 were pre-OBD, so if you like em simple, that’s the target year group. 95 is a one year only OBD I truck. Nothing wrong with that, but requires an OBD I code reading capability, which is not present on most code readers. 96+ is all OBD II. Don’t fear the OBD because it seems more complex - it simply has a greater ability to diagnose problems - which is a good thing.
I’ve had a 92 and currently have a 97. Also have two 2001s. Sheet metal aside, I find the 97 has more in common with my 2001 (other than the engine itself). I like them all, my favorite year is the 94 since I prefer pre-OBD (but not so much that I’d pass on a nice 96+ obviously ), the older interior style, and the 94+ grille. Still, I am very happy with my 97. I believe the OBD II diagnostic system is pretty handy, and in many states, once a truck is >25 years old, it’s no longer subj to emissions testing and the OBD continues to pay dividends with troubleshooting long beyond 25 years. My 97 just had its last emissions test this year, which was kinda nice.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #12
Just call me Sean

88-95 are all OBD1, and you only need a paperclip or small piece of wire to read the codes. 95 is a unique year though.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:31 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
88-95 are all OBD1, and you only need a paperclip or small piece of wire to read the codes. 95 is a unique year though.
Sean, thank you for that note - you are correct and I had some bad gouge in my above post, learn something new here every day. Do you happen to know what is unique about 95 compared to the 88-94? Was that the first/only year you could actually use a dedicated code reader (for OBD I)? Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #14
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Sean, thank you for that note - you are correct and I had some bad gouge in my above post, learn something new here every day. Do you happen to know what is unique about 95 compared to the 88-94? Was that the first/only year you could actually use a dedicated code reader (for OBD I)? Thanks again.
Same diagnostic port on all 88-95 which would use the same "scanner" if you wanted to waste money on one. Paperclip is cheaper. 95 used the newer dashboard but some pieces of it are unique to 95. 95 is a one year only transmission.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

'94 is my favorite year as well. I'm a GMC guy and you get the new grille and nicer mirrors on the outside, while inside you get the last year for, IMO, the nicer interior. Very well designed with very comfortable seats and attractive door panels. I have pre-95 hi-back buckets to put in my '95 Suburban. I had those in my '92 K3500 and they are ex-treme-ly com-fort-able. I found a super nice '94 K2500 Suburban right after I bought my '95 and it bummed me out. I have Votec heads on my '95 with export van intake which still uses TBI and HEI The best of both worlds, again, IMO. I like simple and reliable

Tim

Old 12-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #16
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
'94 is my favorite year as well. I'm a GMC guy and you get the new grille and nicer mirrors on the outside, while inside you get the last year for, IMO, the nicer interior. Very well designed with very comfortable seats and attractive door panels. I have pre-95 hi-back buckets to put in my '95 Suburban. I had those in my '92 K3500 and they are ex-treme-ly com-fort-able. I found a super nice '94 K2500 Suburban right after I bought my '95 and it bummed me out. I have Votec heads on my '95 with export van intake which still uses TBI and HEI The best of both worlds, again, IMO. I like simple and reliable
Tim I thought 94 had the same mirrors as 88-93? I too prefer the newer style that is adjustable from the inside. I must be getting old…. I find the older I get, the more someone’s headlights behind me seem to blind me via side view mirrors, so it’s kinda nice to be able to adjust them from the inside.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

As far as I know, the uniqueness of the '95s is in the dash parts. It was the first year for that dash design, so same as '96-'00. BUT... '95 was the last year for OBD1, so harness connections are different. I am stumped right now on my '95 heater control panel. No replacement is offered. GM stock is depleted and the solution GM 'used to' offer was a conversion harness to allow the use of the very abundant '96-'00 heater control panel. Vultures on Ebay want $200 for that adaptor harness. I understand the aftermarket not seeing enough profit from developing the one year control panel, but it evades me why someone wouldn't offer the conversion harness. At least one of the vintage wiring companies if not the mainstream aftermarket. I mean, if the GM one can fetch (not from me) two bills for it, I'm sure an aftermarket could ask half that. I would pay $100. The problem with buying a used '95 control panel is the reason I need one. As soon as you touch the 27 year old plastic mounting tabs they break off. There is nothing mechanically wrong with mine.

Jocko, I guess I was wrong. I looked for '94 pictures and some showed the new grille with old mirrors. Others had new but probably weren't '94s. I know '95s got the new style. I guess when I get a '94 I'll have to change them .

I didn't like the new GMC grille at first... because I had an almost new '92 . Then I realized I actually like it more. It is more of what I liked about the GMC over the Chevy when I ordered the '92. Basically, the grille is like a big rig. It's simple grille work only where the radiator is to protect it, like big trucks. But the '94-up is even more like that, being painted body color with only chrome on the inner surround. It has what I like about the 67/68s, bodywork with openings for air. Also, the chrome plastic on '93-back grille fails. It bubbles up from water running off the front edge of the hood and getting behind the plating. Just a real clean look on the newer style
Attached Images

Tim

Old 12-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #18
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
As far as I know, the uniqueness of the '95s is in the dash parts. It was the first year for that dash design, so same as '96-'00. BUT... '95 was the last year for OBD1, so harness connections are different. I am stumped right now on my '95 heater control panel. No replacement is offered. GM stock is depleted and the solution GM 'used to' offer was a conversion harness to allow the use of the very abundant '96-'00 heater control panel. Vultures on Ebay want $200 for that adaptor harness. I understand the aftermarket not seeing enough profit from developing the one year control panel, but it evades me why someone wouldn't offer the conversion harness. At least one of the vintage wiring companies if not the mainstream aftermarket. I mean, if the GM one can fetch (not from me) two bills for it, I'm sure an aftermarket could ask half that. I would pay $100. The problem with buying a used '95 control panel is the reason I need one. As soon as you touch the 27 year old plastic mounting tabs they break off. There is nothing mechanically wrong with mine.
I would get the newer plug and controls from a junkyard and release the wires from your plug and transfer them to the new plug.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

That's what I'm thinking. I've never done the releasing from a plug before. I guess it's time to give it a shot

Tim

Old 12-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #20
b454rat

I prefer the 95-up trucks anymore. Inless you get a burb, blazer, or crew with center console, or, get the optional cup holders, there aren't any!!!! I don't like how the window switches are, and tho I didn't have a problem with mine, the HVAC would go bad and be stuck on hi heat or some BS. With the 95-up, regardless of the trim level, have 2 cup holders in the dash. If you have a center console, then there is a piece goes in place of the CD holder. Just got one today lol. Maybe it's cause there are more of the 95-up in yards anymore over the 88-94, but I like the Vortecs, more power lol. THe OBD crap used to get to me, but now I know how to fix majority of the problems that might come up. One of the reasons I have a 1 ton and a heavy 3/4, doesn't matter if the CEL is on, it will still pass.
b454rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I ordered bucket seats in my '92 K3500. I like the early console better, too. I never needed a cupholder before they were ever offered, so I'm just fine without. Set between my legs works just fine. That's what I'm doing now because the p.o.s. plastic '95 slide-out cupholder broke. From what I see, most seem to like the '95-up interior. I sure don't and I'm fine with going my own way. Some hate the heat controls and stereo arrangement on the pre-'95 dash. I guess that was the second design. I loved it and miss it. I loved the graphics. The only thing I dislike is that a CD player wasn't offered. I rigged up an add-on player in the console. I really miss that truck. One of the best I ever had. I couldn't afford to keep and restore or I'd still have it. That was this cowboy's pony

Tim

Old 12-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #22
Just call me Sean

There are cup holders.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
b454rat

LOL, yeah there cup holders long as ur sitting still!!!! Anything too shallow won't hold a cup, bottle or whatever. The 88-94 add on under the dash were nice. I actually found 2 yesterday that were black/charcoal whatever color you call it.
b454rat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

heck, 67-72s have cupholders if you consider those cupholders . Those are cup locaters

Tim