The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
Asshat

Tired Straight-6, upgrade to V8?

This 292 struggles on grades, and I don’t mean steep grades, just rolling hills. And it gets a bit warm when cruising on the freeway. It just seems like it’s had it’s day. Not sure if I should look for a GMC V6 305 or something like a 283 or 350.

It’s a 63 C20, 292, 1bbl; T5 5-speed.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Tired Straight-6, upgrade to V8?

There will be a lot of cats that will say to keep the inline... but, you'll never have as much fun with an inline as you will with a V8. Can an inline make power like a 350 V8... sure... but you'll spend a lot of cash doing it. A 350 is easy to work on, and super easy to build power with. No brainer to me.

I'd ditch that T-5 as well...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
geezer#99

If it struggles on grades are you in o/d 5th gear.
If so shift down.
Get the motor back into it’s designed most efficient power rpm.
Swapping to a 350 likely won’t be the wonder cure you’re looking for.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
There will be a lot of cats that will say to keep the inline... but, you'll never have as much fun with an inline as you will with a V8. Can an inline make power like a 350 V8... sure... but you'll spend a lot of cash doing it. A 350 is easy to work on, and super easy to build power with. No brainer to me.

I'd ditch that T-5 as well...

Gary
What trans would you go with?
Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
If it struggles on grades are you in o/d 5th gear.
If so shift down.
Get the motor back into it’s designed most efficient power rpm.
Swapping to a 350 likely won’t be the wonder cure you’re looking for.
The rear is geared at 4:10 right now, however, I am planning on converting it to 3:42. It tops out at 65mph, @2300 rpm. Even if I shift down to 4th it still lags and slows down.
The motor just doesn’t have any power.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
What trans would you go with?
If you need it to work like a truck, an SM465.

If you wanna play in it like a muscle car, an M-20/21 or a Super T-10

If you want OD, a T-56 or a TKO

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
The rear is geared at 4:10 right now, however, I am planning on converting it to 3:42. It tops out at 65mph, @2300 rpm. Even if I shift down to 4th it still lags and slows down.
The motor just doesn’t have any power.
It's amazing what a rebuild and another camshaft will do along with an HEI. I would also look into a carburetor change to a 2bbl. Either the dual jet rochester or a motocraft 2100 2bl.

Another edit: Since you're running the T5 already I would not waste the money on a gear change. The 4.10s in 5th gear equate to a 3.23 ratio.

Last edited by kwmech; 06-08-2022 at 07:23 PM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
This 292 struggles on grades, and I don’t mean steep grades, just rolling hills. And it gets a bit warm when cruising on the freeway. It just seems like it’s had it’s day. Not sure if I should look for a GMC V6 305 or something like a 283 or 350.

It’s a 63 C20, 292, 1bbl; T5 5-speed.
I have a lot more fun with my L6 292 than I do with the 350, but the former is built and the latter is a stock crate motor.
My 292 is the original engine, rebuilt with .030-over Badger pistons, Crane 260H cam, Rhoads lifters, oversize intake valves [1.84''], GM HEI, Offy intake, Edlebrock 1404 [500 CFM] 4 Barrel carb, Clifford headers. SM465 4-Speed, N-type crossover exhaust, 12-Bolt 3.73 rear, 235/85/16 tires on 6x16 whitespoke wheels.

GMC V6s were audacious engines, but parts are scarce, and there was never a HI-Perf aftermarket.
Everybody and their cousin has a V8.
Your truck, your choice.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:50 PM   #9
cwcarpenter98

If you're going to swap, swap in a v8, not the GMC v6. It's heavy and doesn't rev high at all. Makes a ton of torque though.

I enjoy my little 283, but I have no clue what, if anything, has been done to it internally.
I have dreams to build a 292 powered truck one day though.

If you do choose to go v8, you'll need to swap out the passenger side frame stand from the 292 specific to the v8/230/250 inline 6 frame stand. I've got a set for the v8 that I'll trade you for the 292 set if that's the direction you choose.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #10
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
If you're going to swap, swap in a v8, not the GMC v6. It's heavy and doesn't rev high at all. Makes a ton of torque though.

I enjoy my little 283, but I have no clue what, if anything, has been done to it internally.
I have dreams to build a 292 powered truck one day though.

If you do choose to go v8, you'll need to swap out the passenger side frame stand from the 292 specific to the v8/230/250 inline 6 frame stand. I've got a set for the v8 that I'll trade you for the 292 set if that's the direction you choose.
I have the side motor mount/frame stands for the V8, it came with my fron crossmember when I installed disc brakes.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:32 PM   #11
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
If you need it to work like a truck, an SM465.

If you wanna play in it like a muscle car, an M-20/21 or a Super T-10

If you want OD, a T-56 or a TKO

Gary
I’m going to stick with my T5 for now; not looking to do burnouts or drive it hard. It’s just a cruiser. Besides, my Ranchero transmission is getting rebuilt, so no dinero.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:52 PM   #12
AcampoDave

I can't remember, did you do a compression test on the 292?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:05 PM   #13
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I can't remember, did you do a compression test on the 292?
Yes, long time ago - everything checked out ok.

I’m wondering if I should try and advance the timing a bit. Maybe that would help with keeping the temp down.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:21 AM   #14
Accelo

A V8 can get 20mp and have over 350hp with an overdrive transmission. The modern internal combustion engine has matured a long way since the L6's. I'm in favor of junking the old reliable and going modern. But that's just me.
Do what you enjoy and can afford.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:28 AM   #15
AcampoDave

I would, it does help with overheating and also helps with performance. I dont know how much advance a 6 will tolerate but after a lot of reading about small block timing, (initial, mechanical, vacuum etc) I nailed it on my 283 and wow it really helped.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:34 AM   #16
geezer#99

My old 67 and 65 both had hei’ s and I had them at 14 initial. I live at sea level.
If you live at higher elevation then your motor might tolerate a bit more than that.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
Tom
driving is in my blood

T5 is fine unless you put something with torque in there. 350 or above will shorten its life considerably. Perfect trans for the 292, or a 283 v8 though.

Personally, I'd put a V8 in it just for the exhaust noise. Anything can make decent "around town, not hod rod" amount of power.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #18
AcampoDave

I have a lot of love for 283's but if your not happy with a 292, a 283 won't be the ticket either. 283's can be spirited and fun in a half-ton shorty, but when saddled with the extra mass of a 3/4 ton long bed it won't be the same. Sometimes, when I have a heavy passenger, my stock truck's 283 can feel it.

An HEI is a great distributor and I put them in every Chevy I've ever had. The aftermarket supports them well with different counter weights and springs, adjustable vacuum advances, coils etc.
Getting mine dialed in right required a degreed balancer tape, (a dial back timing light works too) which let me know my total advance, my tach and a helper to let me know at what rpm it was "all in". My total advance was low so I changed my initial timing from 12 to 16 (a huge increase from the factory spec of 4 degrees) which still kept my total advance at a tolerable level. In my case I knew I had taken it too far when the motor pinged upon lugging it a bit off idle with the clutch. (Other engines have pinged upon short shifting under heavier throttle)

Geezer has previously posted an excellent article on the subject and it was very helpful along with the advice he and other "distributor doctor's" gave me right here on this site. The expression "timing is everything" holds true in life and engines. I wouldn't give up on that motor without really trying to optimize an HEI for it.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-09-2022 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #19
Asshat

Quote:
I have a lot of love for 283's but if your not happy with a 292, a 283 won't be the ticket either. 283's can be spirited and fun in a half-ton shorty, but when saddled with the extra mass of a 3/4 ton long bed it won't be the same. Sometimes, when I have a heavy passenger, my stock truck's 283 can feel it.

An HEI is a great distributor and I put them in every Chevy I've ever had. The aftermarket supports them well with different counter weights and springs, adjustable vacuum advances, coils etc.
Getting mine dialed in right required a degreed balancer tape, (a dial back timing light works too) which let me know my total advance, my tach and a helper to let me know at what rpm it was "all in". My total advance was low so I changed my initial timing from 12 to 16 (a huge increase from the factory spec of 4 degrees) which still kept my total advance at a tolerable level. In my case I knew I had taken it too far when the motor pinged upon lugging it a bit off idle with the clutch. (Other engines have pinged upon short shifting under heavier throttle)

Geezer has previously posted an excellent article on the subject and it was very helpful along with the advice he and other "distributor doctor's" gave me right here on this site. The expression "timing is everything" holds true in life and engines. I wouldn't give up on that motor without really trying to optimize an HEI for it.
I have a new stock distributor with Pertronix conversion installed right now. Would I need something like this?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850043

Guess I could try advancing the timing first, then maybe a 2bbl carb.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #20
AcampoDave

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...nition_advance the article that Geezer posted.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/..._a_timing_tape make a balancer tape.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...g_for_movement check the hub on your balancer for slippage.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #21
AcampoDave

Quote:
I have a new stock distributor with Pertronix conversion installed right now. Would I need something like this?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850043

Guess I could try advancing the timing first, then maybe a 2bbl carb.
That's a nice one but Ive had good luck with buying more economical HEI's from my local parts store. As for advancing your existing distributor, where is your timing now? It would be nice to know the "all in" amount and at what RPM so as to have a base to start from.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #22
Asshat

Quote:
That's a nice one but Ive had good luck with buying more economical HEI's from my local parts store. As for advancing your existing distributor, where is your timing now? It would be nice to know the "all in" amount and at what RPM so as to have a base to start from.
I'll have to check; if I remember correctly I am at about 10 degrees BTDC.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #23
AcampoDave

As you can see the original set up on my V8 was a bit vague. It didnt even have any real numbers on it.. The timing tape was way cheaper than a dial back light, it's got all the info I needed, and it looks cool too 😎.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2022, 08:22 PM   #24
AcampoDave

Ultimately, that motor likes 16 degrees on the crank, the mechanical advance adds another 14 all in by 2000rpm. That puts my total at 30 which is still a couple degrees lower than other folks run, but like I said adding more to the crank made it ping off idle. The only way to get more up top was to modify my distributor which wasn't important enough for me to do it.. As a side note...my vacuum advance pulls another 22 degrees when I'm at even throttle.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-09-2022 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Gotta learn basic math (sheesh)
Old 06-09-2022, 11:01 PM   #25
AcampoDave

Summit has balancer tapes for a variety of different diameter balancers. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...hoCY4YQAvD_BwE