The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
6T6

1966 C20 Fleetside 2wd Work Truck Fixer

I got this truck last month and figured I would start a thread on it.
My plans are to make the interior nice (close to OEM) and go through the drive train and fix whats needed. This truck will be used for hauling and coffee runs and taking the dogs to the trails. If all goes well, it may get metal and paint too. My brother had a couple of these trucks and I sure am happy to get this one.

I am going to post some 'before' pics of the truck to get started.
I did clean it out and remove the saddle blanket seat cover and also removed the heater control and dash cluster to get at some stuff.
The original 4way switch is pulled out in the pics too.

The truck is mostly complete but does not have original motor.
Ran the casting numbers on the block and found it has a 1968 Chevelle 307cid. Still has it's GM 2bbl and runs really well, choke
pull-off may need some tweaking but engine runs very strong and has a Muncie SM420 4spd. Havent checked for rear diff ratio yet.

The truck has brand new wheels and tires and just had some engine and bearing/brake work a few miles ago....drives arrow straight and the drum brakes work as new. The exhaust is very tight and can barely hear the motor at a stop which I like for what the truck is now.

This truck was located in Gustavus Alaska and was in a garage at a fishing 'cabin' for the last 21yrs. The previous owner used it during the summer when he visited Alaska.....I live in Juneau ans had the truck sent over via ferry. The remote village this truck was in for the last 20+yr has only about 25miles of road!! (we only have about 90miles of road here in Juneau)

The truck was originally 514 Red and was repainted Orange probably in the late 1980's. Has typical rust in cab but is solid in alot of places.
By the time I can fix up the interior and go throught the running gear I will decide if I want to take this driver project through metal and paint.

So...........here are the pics so far. Thanks for looking!!

TC
Attached Images

Last edited by 6T6; 07-24-2012 at 02:17 PM.
6T6 is offline   Reply With Quote