The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
DooGieGA

1988 Suburban R20 - Refresh - Looking for Ideas

My fellow enthusiasts
I've had this 1988 R20 Suburban for 10+ years, and I am now looking to refresh her - Big Blue!

I don't want to do a complete color change as that would require jams, etc. But thought that we could stay with the base blue, and modify other aspects.

e.g side, pinstripe, hood, roof, finishes, trim, etc.

It's at the paint shop NOW! and thought you might have some thoughts or suggestions. Need to make a decision over the next 2-3 days.

In addition, need suggestions for -

Bumpers: Do I straighten and re-chrome, buy new replacements, or go aftermarket?

Side Step: Keep, Replace, Aftermarket, or none

Roof Rack: Keep, Replace, Aftermarket or none

Side Mirrors: Tripod trailer mirrors, OEM, Aftermarket, etc.

Please provide pictures of suggestions if possible. Other thoughts and/or suggestions welcome

FYI - As you can see, i've installed H2 Rims and have the Caps at home.

Thanks in advance!
Sean
Attached Images

DooGieGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
LT7A

Re: 1988 Suburban R20 - Refresh - Looking for Ideas

Looks like a nice Suburban. Glad that you are fixing it up. It would help if you told us the story behind why you have it, and what you like about it, and what you intend to use it for. Truthfully, that will probably answer most of the questions that you've asked. The rest of it is personal taste which you can solve by looking at pictures and finding what you like. If I was to go down your list and tell you how I would do it, that would be specific to me. The next guy who posts on this thread will likely make different recommendations. But just so I don't leave you without any solid input, I will say that unless you need the functionality, I would take off the running boards. I think it will look cleaner and sleeker without them, but if you need them for access, then they should stay. Welcome to the forum, and I hope that you will keep us up on the progress with your rig!

Last edited by LT7A; 04-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
DooGieGA

@LT7A - Thanks! I bought it as a family hauler and because I love the classics. My wife was in an accident recently (hit by a stolen vehicle). She's alright, but the car was totaled. (Bad because it was completely paid off and destined for my oldest for her 16th)

Long story short - Gave the wife my car and thought I would refresh Blue to make it my daily.

Always love to hear people's opinions, as it might make me think about an option I hadn't thought of.

"But just so I don't leave you without any solid input, I will say that unless you need the functionality, I would take off the running boards. I think it will look cleaner and sleeker without them" - Thanks LT7A, Just the feedback that I'm looking for!

Cheers

PS - Also have a 1963 Chevy Corvair Spyder Vert (Not a square body, but still in the family)
Old 04-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
LT7A

You are more than welcome to my ideas and opinions, but I hesitate to give too much input on somebody's vehicle since it's all personal opinion. Nobody else has chimed in yet and I know your rig is at the shop. So I'll toss some more ideas in and you can see what you think. First off, sorry to hear about the accident and the impact to your vehicle plans, but I understand how that put this rig back into service. Since you don't mention towing or camping, I will comment accordingly.

First off, I would do your repaint in the stock colors. These rigs have been around long enough that very few stock ones exist and a clean, stock looking one stands out. There is no need for custom paint treatment. It has been repainted and the tape stripe doesn't follow the factory line on the front fenders. It's close, but it should taper down a bit before it heads straight down. it might take some searching to find a picture of an original one, but it will look better if it's done right.

With mirrors I would go with the factory mirrors, what GM calls below eyeline mirrors. They are generally known as Dumbo mirrors, which is odd because they're smaller than the bigger mirrors. If you are going to tow then you may want the bigger mirrors which I think you mentioned as tripod, of which there are two types. The bigger tripod mirrors fold out for a wide view of towing a trailer. If you are not going to tow, the Dumbo mirrors are a sleeker look which by now you have figured out is one of my primary design reference points. If you have a set of the tripod mirrors and decide to use the below eyeline mirrors, hold on to the originals in case you want to install them. They are also well sought-after.

I would leave the roof rack off, personally, if you don't anticipate using it. Again, sleeker and cleaner, but some guys hunt these down because they like the look or anticipate strapping on kayaks, etc. If you have one though, keep it. They are salable, and you can put it back on if you want.

The pictures don't show the condition of your front bumper, but if it is similar to the rear bumper and they are original, then it looks like they could be reused. I think it's a bit of a wildcard as far as the reproduction bumpers so I would keep what you've got until you can do that research. Not that tough to swap out after the paint is done. if you decide to bring it back to showroom condition, there are re-chroming options, but expensive.

Glad to hear you have kept your stock wheels and hubcaps. Wheels are a matter of preference. I do know the Hummer wheels are heavy, but maybe not heavier than the stock steel ones, but you might want to compare. Hard to go wrong with the stock look, and wheels is the last place you want to add weight on a vehicle. Hinders performance more than adding the same amount of weight onto the chassis somewhere. And again, the stock look is hard to go wrong with.

Glad you have interest in these old rigs and found your way to the forum. I hope you can post some more pictures of your Suburban, and it would be cool to see the Corvair too. Also, this is a good place to post pictures of the progress. Always cool to see work in progress.

Last edited by LT7A; 04-07-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
LT7A

I happened upon this picture after posting to your thread. Hopefully Corts60 doesn't mind me reposting a picture of his beautiful, original rig. It shows that the tape stripe tapers down and heads for the corner of the stainless front grill surround, then goes vertical. Your Suburban's repaint is close, but as you can see, that detail adds a little something as it emphasizes the spear of the body line and corresponds to the top trim of the grill..
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
ACS

I like the existing colors and stripe. I have always liked this color combo and the blue/light blue combo.

Did the body shop put filler over the old stripe?
ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #7
The Ohioian

I like the color as is but that silver/gray is cool. What LT said about the stripe if not gray. No rack. No running boards. Small stock mirrors.
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
DooGieGA

@ LT7A
• repaint in the stock colors
○ I agree - too much hassle to do a color change, however, I am considering going with a lighter/brighter silver

• tape stripe doesn't follow the factory line on the front fenders
○ Great catch, never noticed, I like the look

• below eyeline mirrors
○ Never knew the name - Thanks

• pictures don't show the condition of your front bumper
○ They are both original as far as I know
○ They do have some minor flaws (That look like a towbar was used) Might be able to straighten them out.

• Hummer wheels
○ Really like the look of these and have chevy caps for the center (Will share pict when done)

@ACS
• I like the existing colors and stripe. I have always liked this color combo and the blue/light blue combo.
○ My Blue/Silver I like as well, but I'm considering brightening the silver from the darker shade

• Did the body shop put filler over the old stripe?
○ Good catch - I've asked!

@The Ohioian
Thank for the feedback!
Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

I like the stock colors, but as other's have said - make it yours. The only suggestion I would make is to pull off those hideous bumper guards .... and ship them to me, . Can't wait to see what you do with it . On my 87 the stripe follows the hood line. I wonder if it was different on the burbs or if it was an aftermarket stripe?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-08-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

In addition, need suggestions for -

Bumpers: buy new replacements,

Side Step: none

Roof Rack: Keep,

Side Mirrors: Tripod trailer mirrors, .

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I like the stock colors, but as other's have said - make it yours. The only suggestion I would make is to pull off those hideous bumper guards .... and ship them to me, . Can't wait to see what you do with it . On my 87 the stripe follows the hood line. I wonder if it was different on the burbs or if it was an aftermarket stripe?
Stock Suburban is like your truck. You can see it in post number five.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
DooGieGA

Thanks Guys - Really appreciate it!

Any suggestions on the best places to purchase parts?
Interior - Carpet, panels, etc.
Exterior - Trim, weatherstripping, seals, etc.

Appreciate it!
Sean