The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #51
cherokeejohn

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

This thread just brought a smile to my face, I was thinking I was the only one left out there in CB land. The CB radio still has it uses for things. As stated above at Bonneville, also Off Roading, Boating, Swamp buggies, Backwoods/Basecamp coms.,Even Air to bush supply drops. They are overlooked mostly in todays electronics world. But they are still available, and with free airtime, Also stated above about "SKIP" radio and sidebands, I have a hopped up old Galaxy with them, its been shelved for years but I used to talk all over the country and some over oceans with that radio, add a little Linear heat from top a big hill and the air waves would take you world wide at times I have a Cobra 29LTDW now. I'm an avid outdoors-man so weather comes in handy now and then. I had it peaked, and tuned back in the late 90's and it still works great to this day. I never power it by 12volt "socket", hard wired to + terminal of the battery and a sufficient ground also under the hood compartment. I used a HD inline fuse, that has a power kill switch also. For my antenna, I have to say, I love my Wilson's. I have a magnet mount 1000 on my 72, but have a "Lil Wil" mag mount for other Vehicles,ATV's, Boats, etc... There are alott of aftermarket gadgets, doo-dads, decals, noise toys, all over flEbay for the 29. The magnet mount antenna are great as you can place them anywhere metal, for paint protection, Just put a scrap of silk between the mount and the surface. all the Wilson antenna's are very easy to set SWR's by a pair of set screws at the base of the stainless whip. "FWIW" on all my vehicles, toys i also use a simple Red/Black quick 12 volt disconnect and have the same end pre wired/installed, and several mounting brackets for the Cobra 29 so I can just swap the radio and the antenna if needed from one ride to the next. If I Buy another one, It will be this one. IMO i think it still has a Nostalgic look to it, and the night colors go good with the factory gauges in our trucks.
Attached Images

Last edited by cherokeejohn; 01-19-2018 at 07:34 PM.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #52
paulspickupparts

Got this one from a neighbor . Not real sure of application. He said it was from a 70's Chevy pickup. Kind of cool with 8 track AM FM and Cb all in one.
Attached Images

paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #53
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Got this one from a neighbor . Not real sure of application. He said it was from a 70's Chevy pickup. Kind of cool with 8 track AM FM and Cb all in one.
Very cool! Even better if you get it up and running.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 AM   #54
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
This thread just brought a smile to my face, I was thinking I was the only one left out there in CB land. The CB radio still has it uses for things. As stated above at Bonneville, also Off Roading, Boating, Swamp buggies, Backwoods/Basecamp coms.,Even Air to bush supply drops. They are overlooked mostly in todays electronics world. But they are still available, and with free airtime, Also stated above about "SKIP" radio and sidebands, I have a hopped up old Galaxy with them, its been shelved for years but I used to talk all over the country and some over oceans with that radio, add a little Linear heat from top a big hill and the air waves would take you world wide at times I have a Cobra 29LTDW now. I'm an avid outdoors-man so weather comes in handy now and then. I had it peaked, and tuned back in the late 90's and it still works great to this day. I never power it by 12volt "socket", hard wired to + terminal of the battery and a sufficient ground also under the hood compartment. I used a HD inline fuse, that has a power kill switch also. For my antenna, I have to say, I love my Wilson's. I have a magnet mount 1000 on my 72, but have a "Lil Wil" mag mount for other Vehicles,ATV's, Boats, etc... There are alott of aftermarket gadgets, doo-dads, decals, noise toys, all over flEbay for the 29. The magnet mount antenna are great as you can place them anywhere metal, for paint protection, Just put a scrap of silk between the mount and the surface. all the Wilson antenna's are very easy to set SWR's by a pair of set screws at the base of the stainless whip. "FWIW" on all my vehicles, toys i also use a simple Red/Black quick 12 volt disconnect and have the same end pre wired/installed, and several mounting brackets for the Cobra 29 so I can just swap the radio and the antenna if needed from one ride to the next. If I Buy another one, It will be this one. IMO i think it still has a Nostalgic look to it, and the night colors go good with the factory gauges in our trucks.
10-04 There Cherokee John, That's a pretty-looking rig. Is the green/white paint job a special deal, or did you leavethe truck parked in the summer where the passenger side was exposed to direct sunlight, and it bleached?

I had [have still] a string of Johnson Messenger transcievers. I [''Whiteface''] and II [''Blackface''] are tube-type and as big and long as mailboxes. Then the Messenger III [ or 123?] is solid state and about the size of yours. Not sure if any of them work, but those tube rigs really broadcast it out, even barefoot. They were built with 5 watts final out, not the 3.5, later mandated by Uncle Charlie. With a good base location [Burbank side of Hollywood Hills] and a HyGain CLR omni antenna, I once got out with my Whiteface on the north/south skip layer [E or F?] and QSO'd with a YL on the south slope of Mount Saint Helen's. It was about midnight and it was 1967.

I have a Radio Shack SSB mobile on a tiltstand I can place in the passengerside footwell, that can switch between vehicles. It works, but with the magmount stubby, the SSB effect is wasted. Also need to trick up the glaring white early model LED screen with some translucent blue gel.

Well threes and eight there Buddy, the OrangeSunshine is over and out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #55
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
Interesting post cherokeejohn, thanks for sharing. It highlights the need for a 'hop up your CB' thread (or this thread could become that in addition to what it already is if OP is good with that - CG, I don't want to hijack - this is an awesome thread already, so maybe this idea would be good to start anew - over to you my friend). I recall the 70's & 80's out of the box CBs were nice, but to make one really effective (and extend the range), it took some work and a little money. Would be great to have a thread that outlines what was available then/now, and how, for CB upgrades. Antenna rundown also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
That's a square radio Paul - I really like them also. Difficult to fit in a 67-72 without dash mods that you may find difficult to make work with the 67-72 dash indent for the stock radio that is really sized to be proportional to and wrap the face of a 67-72 radio. I wish they were a direct fit, that would sure be nice wouldn't it? If you EVER think you might buy a squarebody, I'd get that thing working and horde it away. I never thought I'd buy a square - but then I changed my mind I'd be curious to see if anyone else has successfully integrated a square radio into a 67-72 and how they did it, etc. We really never see these in 67-72's, and if it were an easy swap, I bet thousands of folks would've done it in the 70s and 80s.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #56
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I say keep it rolling with CB info here instead of splitting it up. This can become the "official cb in your truck" thread =)

Ive already learned a lot.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #57
'68OrangeSunshine

Arrow Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I say keep it rolling with CB info here instead of splitting it up. This can become the "official cb in your truck" thread =)

Back in the day, [I first logged on in 2002] on 67-72ChevyTrucks,com, we used to have CB-related posts on the Truck Audio forum, but CB interest on there died off as audio/video/onboard computers and other witchcraft-like stuff got more popular and sophisticated. Also cell phones took over the mobile-to- mobile comm role.
For my part, I don't care where they put the CB-related threads, as long as we keep the QSO going. We can keep it here or the Mods could move us over there, but most folks don't think of CB as an audio device anymore. It seems more like it's a quaint, obsolescent vintage accessory to them, since they have no working knowledge of the 2-Way medium and its traditions.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #58
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

Me too. THANKS!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #59
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
I was cleaning out the closest since the I got kicked out of the 3rd bedroom our 7 month old is moving more in lol. But I found this cb I bought it at the flea market with a couple others (there somewhere this the niceest) for $5 each. Decided to test fit it in my 71, tested it, and it works! Manufactured Sep. 75, might need to look for a vintage looking antenna if I use it.
Cool looking CB

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #60
Rods

I purchased this CB on the board a couple years ago from 70cst and I now have the truck I want to put it in. Not sure what all is involved or what is needed to get it up and going so been following this thread trying to figuring out all the different items needed......any advise would be great. To start with I will need a mounting bracket any available for this unit. Can someone advise proper power supply ? Should it come from fuse box ? Key switch ? Types of available antennas ? The truck I want to put the CB in apparently had one at one point as the ash tray has the microphone clip attached to it. (see pic) Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #61
72 tigger

I have this GM CB in one of my trucks
Attached Images

72 tigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #62
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods View Post
I purchased this CB on the board a couple years ago from 70cst and I now have the truck I want to put it in. Not sure what all is involved or what is needed to get it up and going so been following this thread trying to figuring out all the different items needed......any advise would be great. To start with I will need a mounting bracket any available for this unit. Can someone advise proper power supply ? Should it come from fuse box ? Key switch ? Types of available antennas ? The truck I want to put the CB in apparently had one at one point as the ash tray has the microphone clip attached to it. (see pic) Thanks for any help.
Nothing complicated. The red lead [+] goes to a 12 VDC source and should have a fuse inline with it. The black lead goes to any good contact on the cab.
Or, if you want it to move between trucks, you could power it with a cigarette lighter plug.
If you connect to the fuse box, it's your decision whether you want the radio to be turned on even if the key is out, or go off with the key.

Antennae: The 1/4 wave 108''[?] whip is the best. Twin Truckers [''Rabbit Ears''] are cool and if you're sporting West Coast Junior mirrors, you can mount them there. If moving the rig between trucks, you'll want a magnetic mounted stubby. These are OK for copying the mail, but don't get out [transmit] very well.
The antenna socket in any CB rig is an SO-239 and the antenna line connector is a PL-259. Antenna cable is a sheathed coaxial type with internal resistance of 50 Ohms, type RG-58/U. It's important you get the proper resistance cable as without it you will burn up the final stage of your transmitter. Don't transmit without an antenna or a dummy 50 Ohn plug, or you will ''let the Blue Smoke'' out.
Truck stops are the best current source for these things, as Radio Shack has folded.

If the manufacturor's supplied mounting bracket has been lost, you can make your own out of light gauge strap steel. You'll want a piece, less than 2'' wide, that's the width of the rig across the back, plus the sides. Bend the sides down, radius them and drill 1/4'' holes in the centers of your 'ears' for the mounting thumbscrews. These screws can be had from Ace Hardware and are 1/4''-20 with round, black plastic knobs. If you want to go cheap and fast, you could use perforated 'plumbers tape'.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #63
harpo231

Just get a phone..... LOL !

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1517175872
Attached Images

harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #64
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Gonna have to pull out some of my stuff for sharing

Built in slider for extra channels
Attached Images

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS

Last edited by RPOZ11; 01-28-2018 at 10:48 PM.
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #65
BugzC10

Breaker breaker good buddy...what's your 20? Catcha on the flip flop!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #66
Rods

Great info thanks ‘68OrangeSunshine.......
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #67
Noah96

Have a new to me 1969 GMC C2500 looking for a vintage 70/80s cb to put in my truck any idea where to start looking for one?
Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:34 AM   #68
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah96 View Post
Have a new to me 1969 GMC C2500 looking for a vintage 70/80s cb to put in my truck any idea where to start looking for one?
Swap meets, C-list, yard sales, flea markets, flea bay, truckstops, guy down the alley. Where-ever. Being vintage specific is getting picky. I would just want one that worked. The early ones just had 23 channels. Not so fun if your Buddy's up on 40 and you got no ears that swing that way.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #69
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah96 View Post
eBay

Put in Vintage CB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up until about 74 all the CB's were 23 channels. Some might have had Upper Side Band and Lower Side Band.

After about 74 CB's went to 40 Channel.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 02-17-2018, 02:12 AM   #70
70cst

I'll repost but this will be my CB Radio "Kris XL-50, Varment Amp, and Avanti Mirror mount Dual Antenna.
Attached Images

Last edited by 70cst; 02-17-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:44 AM   #71
70cst

Lets talk CB ...

Ancient Mariner -AM radio/frequency
Baby Bear- Cop in training, or rookie
Back ‘em up -Slow down
Back off the hammer -Slow down
Bear Bait -Speeding car
Bear Cage- Police station or jail
Bear Cave -Police station or barracks
Bear Trap -Stationary police vehicle with radar
Bear in the air- Helicopter or other police aircraft
Beat the bushes -To drive ahead of the others and try to lure out the police
Beaver Bait- Money
Beaver Fever -A CBer who misses his girlfriend or wife
Benton Harbor Lunch Box -Heathkit CB-1
Black’n White- Cop
Breaking the ‘ol needle- Strong signal
Bring it back -Answer back
Brown paper bag -Unmarked Police car
Brush your teeth and comb your hair-Radar trap ahead
Bubble gum machine- Flashing lights on top of car
Bumper Lane- Passing lane
Cash Register -Toll booth
Chew ‘n choke -Restaurant
Checking My Eyelinds For Pin Holes -Tired or sleepy.
Check the seatcovers -Look at that passenger (usually a woman)
Chicken Coup- Weigh station
Chicken Coup is Clean -Weigh station is closed.
Christmas Card- Speeding ticket
Coffee Bean- Waiter or waitress
Coke stop- Restroom
Colorado Kool Aid -Beer
Comic Book -Truckers log book
Concrete Blonde -Hooker
Convoy- 2 or more vehicles traveling the same route.
Cooking Good -Reached desired speed.
Copy -Receiving a message: “Do you copy?”
Crack’em Up -Accident
Cut Some Z’s -Get some sleep
Dead Pedal- Slow moving car or truck
Dead Key- Activating the microphone, but not talking. Same as “keying the mike”.
Diesel Juice -Fuel oil
Doing the Five-Five- Traveling at 55mph
Don’t Feed The Bears- Don’t get any tickets
Down and on the side -Through talking but listening.
Dream Weaver- Sleepy driver who is all over the road.
Dress For Sale -Hooker
Dressed for the ball -You have your “Ears ON”, listening to the road conditions
Drop the Hammer -Go as fast as you can
Dusted my britches -Passed me

Old 02-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #72
70cst

Very Good CB LINK...

http://www.mortaljourney.com/2010/10...rends/cb-radio

Old 02-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #73
'68OrangeSunshine

How much juice does that Varmint kicker push?

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-17-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:06 AM   #74
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
How much juice does that Varmint kicker hold?

If you are talking power - about 100 watt

Amp Draw - I am guessing about 30 amp max

Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #75
'68OrangeSunshine

I aways got out barefoot. But power is its own reward.