The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
StevenG

Detroit locker

I am working on a 66 C20 with a Detroit locker. It makes a howl while accelerating that disappears when you lift the throttle. I think it may be the pinion bearing. What are the chances that I will find this part? Thank you in advance for your replies.
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Detroit locker

Lockers don't make noise on accel or decel, but gears and bearings can. Those parts should be just normal, and easy to get.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #3
StevenG

What should the search term be? I bought the Detroit locker used from a really nice guy from California I met on this site. I don’t know the year of the truck it came out off but it bolted right in no problem. I’m pretty sure the pinion gear bearing is the culprit for the noise. Are they all the same? Do I order the bearing by size or by application? Thank you for your response.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:11 PM   #4
SkinnyG

Are you saying you installed the Locker yourself?

Did you properly set the backlash with the correct shims?

If not - that's the source of your noise. Stop driving it until you can fix that.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:23 PM   #5
StevenG

Where could I purchase a rebuild kit for this diff? The shop that put in the Detroit locker says he set the backlash perfect and it must be the pinion bearing going bad. I have looked and can’t find the parts. Should I search for Eaton parts or Detroit locker?
Old 03-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #6
SkinnyG

The bearings should just be the normal bearings for the axle you have, it is independent of the differential.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:07 PM   #7
StevenG

I am referring to the pinion and ring gear bearings. I believe the axle bearing are fine. Where could I find the ring and pinion bearings. I’ve read here at this site that there are there are no parts available for an Eaton diff. Is that include bearings?
Old 03-16-2023, 11:57 PM   #8
SkinnyG

The pinion bearings are specific to the actual axle you put the Detroit Locker into.

They have nothing to do with the Detroit Locker you installed, they are what is required for your axle, which, if original, will be the bearings that your actual truck's axle required, regardless of the Detroit Locker you have or the open diff you replaced.

Excitingly, the Detroit Locket will need to come out for the pinion bearings to be installed, and the gears properly set up again. The pinion is the last thing to come out of an axle during a rebuild, and the first thing to go in.

The carrier bearings would have been pressed on to your Detroit Locker. Hopefully your installer used new bearings, and didn't try to save old bearings. They are _usually_ what your actual axle requires, but sometimes Eaton uses unique bearings for their diffs. In this case, you'll want to check with Eaton.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:39 PM   #9
Short 3/4

Check with Torque King, also known as Quad 4x4 I think. They are a great resource for that kind of stuff. They have helped me out a lot in the past. Unlike a lot of online parts sources, they actually know these old trucks.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:42 AM   #10
1966 K10

If you have the HO52 rear axle you are out of luck on finding affordable replacement carrier or pinion bearings at the local auto parts place. Randys is the only place I know that stocks the replacements of ball bearing type hO52s

https://www.randysworldwide.com/shop...e=autocomplete

Outer bearings are available at local auto parts house.

If you have the Dana 60 rear all bearings are available, axles and brake parts not so much
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:47 AM   #11
1966 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
The carrier bearings would have been pressed on to your Detroit Locker. Hopefully your installer used new bearings, and didn't try to save old bearings. They are _usually_ what your actual axle requires, but sometimes Eaton uses unique bearings for their diffs. In this case, you'll want to check with Eaton.
If he has the Eaton HO52 the Detroit locker just drops in the factory carrier just like the 14bolt axle. No need to touch the bearings
Old 03-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #12
SkinnyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
If he has the Eaton HO52 the Detroit locker just drops in the factory carrier just like the 14bolt axle. No need to touch the bearings
Are you talking a lunchbox locker?

The carrier is the part the ring gear attaches to. The housing is what the carrier (and everything) installs into. I've never seen a carrier that didn't have some tapered roller bearings pressed on to the stub ends. New carriers do not come with bearings, you have to install them.

When JUST installing a limited slip, you do not need to touch the pinion bearings, since the pinion depth to carrier bearing center does not change. You DO, however, need to reset the backlash. It would be foolish not to just pop the pinion out and have a look at the bearings - I mean, you're in there already. And a new seal can never hurt.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #13
StevenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
If you have the HO52 rear axle you are out of luck on finding affordable replacement carrier or pinion bearings at the local auto parts place. Randys is the only place I know that stocks the replacements of ball bearing type hO52s

https://www.randysworldwide.com/shop...e=autocomplete

Outer bearings are available at local auto parts house.

If you have the Dana 60 rear all bearings are available, axles and brake parts not so much
Thank you for all responses. 66K10 nails it. Randy had all the parts I needed. Thank you very much.
Steve
Old 04-06-2023, 11:11 PM   #14
1966 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Are you talking a lunchbox locker?

The carrier is the part the ring gear attaches to. The housing is what the carrier (and everything) installs into. I've never seen a carrier that didn't have some tapered roller bearings pressed on to the stub ends. New carriers do not come with bearings, you have to install them.

When JUST installing a limited slip, you do not need to touch the pinion bearings, since the pinion depth to carrier bearing center does not change. You DO, however, need to reset the backlash. It would be foolish not to just pop the pinion out and have a look at the bearings - I mean, you're in there already. And a new seal can never hurt.

Correct, the detroit locker for the HO52/72 AND the 14 bolt install in the factory housing replacing the spider/side gears. If you disturbed the side adjusters you will have to adjust preload/backlash but its pretty simple in these axles. The HO axles are just like a huge ford 9 in with a drop out center section. Just like the 14 bolt the carrier just splits in half once the hardware is removed allowing the locker to be dropped in. Once the housing is back together you remove the install plates/rod/wingnuts and thats it.

If you were installing a detroit locker in a dana style axle you are correct the entire housing is changed requiring some setup and bearings to be pressed on.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #15
1966 K10

A few more pics of a corporate diff housing with detroit installed
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2023, 11:52 PM   #16
SkinnyG

That's pretty freakin' weird.