The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #151
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Nice job, it's hot here to.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #152
Chevys4life

Nice job it looks very good. Is that self leveling seam sealer you used on the the cab roof?
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #153
SkidmoreGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevys4life View Post
Nice job it looks very good. Is that self leveling seam sealer you used on the the cab roof?
Thanks! I used 2 part SEM high build self leveling seam sealer to seal it up on the first pass (ran out after one full tube) . I'll use SEM self leveling to finish it off. Hopefully today I'll get some time.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #154
May70

Looks good Skid

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #155
SkidmoreGarage

Making big steps and little steps, crossing things off the list.

Little jobs:
Painted new bumper brackets, plate bracket, kick panel speaker pods, and kick panel vents
Rebuilt the kick panel vents with new silicone gaskets
Mounted the new rear bumper and tow hitch
Mounted rear license plate
Connected gas gauge to the new tank
Seam sealed the back of the cab at the floor

Big jobs:
Painted the cowl gloss black
Painted the windshield frame
Painted the lower passenger door and fender
Painted the old gas filler section of the cab
Sanded the seam sealer in the drip rail (it looked terrible, sadly. Looks better now but not perfect)

Next big jobs are getting the roof painted and having someone install the front and rear glass. Then I'll get the ride height set and aligned. I am on the search for someone to do the glass but haven't found anyone yet. I need to call around for recommendations.

After that interior and drive!
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 PM   #156
SkidmoreGarage

Some more photos...

I also lost the bracket for the manual kick panel vent adjuster when I was cleaning up after I painted everything. Bummer. Not sure where to get another.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #157
caseyjones

I used Kaizen Autoglass out of Vancouver on my 64 and I have had zero issues with the install.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #158
SkidmoreGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I used Kaizen Autoglass out of Vancouver on my 64 and I have had zero issues with the install.
Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #159
SkidmoreGarage

It was a lot of prep work, but the top is painted. I got a big sag across the back of the cab. I just don't have enough experience with single stage paint. I need to figure out how much to spray in the first coat. I'll figure it out, but it's too late for the roof. I'll try to color sand out the run. If it doesn't work, I'll just do it over later.

I also made a cowl guard using some grill material. Looks good I think, but the photo shows the wear on the old paint. Hopefully it will buff to match a bit better.

I also called around for the glass install (just labor). One place wanted $700, another $200 but won't do 67-70 trim. I'm almost ready to just try myself.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #160
SkidmoreGarage

I've been chipping away at things when I get a few spare minutes. The new baby is our priority, so truck time is spent as efficiently as possible. A side effect is that I take a lot fewer pictures and don't really share as much detail here, sorry! Feel free to ask any questions.

I finally gave in to just installing the window myself. It really wasn't bad. Just took my time and gave the trim and gasket time to stretch/settle before installing. The rear took 20 minutes, the front about 45. The prep work took a lot longer though. It was pretty sweaty work, and hard on the hands.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #161
SkidmoreGarage

I also finished installing sound deadening (dynamat) in the interior. I did about 80% coverage across the firewall, floor, and back of the cab. Huge difference. No photos, sorry. But the tip I have is to buy the harbor freight punch and die set. It makes perfectly round holes.

I also fit a new ACC extra thick carpet with vinyl backing. It fit like hot garbage. It's like the machines are worn out and the workers were drunk on a Friday. None of it lines up. The jute padding is half stuck, which is a good thing because it's in the wrong spot. I used a hole punch to make the bolt holes. Looks good now that it's in!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #162
SkidmoreGarage

I also installed a TMI dash pad. Fit was awful. I ended up breaking off the studs and epoxying them about half an inch over. This was after elongating the existing holes. Once installed, I'm really happy with the look.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #163
MDPotter

You're making good use of your time! These are all tasks that give you an immediate sense of accomplishment and get you closer to completion.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #164
SkidmoreGarage

Thanks MDPotter! These posts are actually a retrospective as I got the truck up and running a couple weeks ago.

Here are some industry standard photos from the maiden voyage. It drove pretty well with no surprises. It didn't squeak or clunk, but needed an alignment. The gas station attendant was able to fill it up, and the gas gauge worked perfectly. I did need to add another quart of trans fluid along the drive. This was also the first drive since I was able to troubleshoot the accelerator pump on the carb. It was smooth, but I need to fine tune it a little bit. I'm not sure if it is lean or rich on tip in, but it's perfect by comparison to what it was. Very comfortable ride with the bench seat. I plan to change the wheel to something a little smaller.

One major problem I discovered is that my driveway is too steep for the exhaust! It scrapes the mufflers pretty badly. The good news is I plan to replace the garage/driveway, but the witness marks are permanent... I also ran the trailer hitch into the street, oh well!
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #165
SkidmoreGarage

I also bought another car built in the Fremont plant... 54 years later.

I did a lot of shopping around and this represented the best value, for my family and where I live, going right now. Used car prices are way up, and the financing and lack of warranty make the minimal depreciation not really worth it for me. Also, dealers and manufacturers are gouging with the pricing structures and car shortage. In 2021 it boggles my mind that car manufacturers can't get it that people don't want to pay 50% more for the performance variant of their car. I could rant for days over the frustration that is the traditional car companies slow decline into irrelevance. The solution isn't complicated.

My wife wanted something that she could easily park (smaller) and was comfortable. I wanted something that had an M or AMG badge on the back. I was very unimpressed with the reliability of the Euro car makers. People love their Volvos and Mercedes, but they will also explain how their car has had the supercharger, turbo, or transmission replaced twice but "the dealer did it for free". I also looked at Chevrolet/Ford/Jeep and ruled them out for different reasons. I wouldn't buy a Jeep/Dodge/Fiat for reliability, quality and ergonomics reasons. I looked at Ford but they really don't have anything to compete in the sport/luxury SUV category. I had driven a high trim F150 for work and liked it, but the current offering is limited to explorer or bronco. Chevrolet has the Tahoe, it starts at $60k, but it is big. Once you step down in size, you also step down in quality, performance, and features. Chevy (and really all of the big three) has lost the concept of what built their legacy in the 50s through the 70s, which is to give the customer what they want and surprise them with the performance value.

What are some highlights:
Made in America by an American company
Faster than a C6 Z06 (3.5 sec to 60)
Room for 5 adults, or two adults and two car seats.
Enough range for where I live ~300 miles
Infotainment actually works
Can drive it like you stole it and not worry about MPGs
No reliability issues with the modern low displacement complicated engines and transmissions
Can "fill up" in my driveway
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2021, 12:22 AM   #166
SkidmoreGarage

Washed the truck, installed a new comfort grip wheel, and got it aligned. Edit: I also repaired the turn signal cam and replaced the cancel spring.

I'll get some after photos soon, I haven't had a chance to take it outside much. Hopefully, soon I'll have a stereo back in it.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #167
SkidmoreGarage

Out for a drive to the local trails and figured I'd put up a completed shot. I think most of stage 1 and all of stage 2 are complete.

It drives pretty well but there are some things that need to be improved with the suspension. I don't think it's too low but I still scrape. I even hit the bottom of the control arm on some really bad pavement. I don't know how you super low guys do it! I plan to pick up some 9000 airbags and install them in the stock spring location to allow me to support the back end and provide a "steep driveway" mode.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #168
TA_C10

Looking good man

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote