The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
LBJ

77 Bonanza Windshield Washer Spray Pump?

Rock Auto has a replacement for the pump and it's a rather simple unit for half $$ of what the original Delco unit sells for. It's just a pump and doesn't have the cam and all that. Has anyone tried this? Thanks. LBJ

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=3414&jsn=3414
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: 77 Bonanza Windshield Washer Spray Pump?

That looks like a good option, but I have not tried it. I was unaware those are available, thanks for posting it.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
LBJ

Hi Gary, I think I will order one. It's a good solution and will look factory and work with all the wiring and washer fluid tank line. I saw at least one "fix" on YouTube but that took lots "Rube Goldberg" engineering and lots of time. The Rock Auto part should go on quickly and get the job done.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Katrina/10

Great, let us know how it works. I added an inline pump to another vehicle, and it works well. But, you do have to cut wires and hoses, and find a place to put it.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 11-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
hatzie

That's a lot easier to keep nice and neat than using the 85-91 tank and pump.
You can do either so it looks clean but lots of folks seem to do a cheezy job of routing the additional wire length for the later model in-tank washer pump.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
Front Range

Those washer pumps are plug and play, look like originals and work great, have one on my 77K10. Bolts right up where the old one went using the original hardware. I put one on and added a new wiper motor at the same time.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
LBJ

I ordered and received the new AC Delco pump from Rock Auto today. Installed it and ZIP, nothing. So, after making to make sure it wasn't a bad connection, I pulled it off and took the cover off. I wired 12 volts directly to the pump itself and it worked fine. I tried wiring to the outside terminals and nothing. So, the problem is in the little circuit board somewhere. I am sending it back for a replacement pump unit. A little disappointed for sure, but I don't drive the truck every day, so, not a problem. LBJ
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
LBJ

Re: 77 Bonanza Windshield Washer Spray Pump? SUCCESS!

OK, got the replacement from Rock Auto and FIRST tested it on the bench. This one works! Got it installed and texted. There's a delay between depressing the wiper "spray" switch and the spray coming on. In fact, I have to hit the switch twice to make it spray. Maybe that's to make sure it isn't an accidental bump. Only have it one one side as I have lost the other spray nozzle over the last 12 years! Have to make a new one, but not a problem. Also, had to reverse the wiring connector as the hot wire was on the wrong side. I coulda just flip the plastic cover over, but that left the wires open to water. Anyway, no big deal, it works.

One more detail. Even though the ground wire is connected to the main plug next to the hot wire, the pump still needs to have a proper ground to the metal framework. So, before assuming the pump isn't working, GROUND the metal frame to the chassis! On mine, there is a little ground strap below the unit that must be pulled forward and the attaching screw needs to secure it to the metal frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by LBJ; 12-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Katrina/10

I really like that, and want to buy one. Are you still having issues with the spray button?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 12-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
LBJ

Hi Gary, I think the only problem is that on the first use, the electric motor has to spin up and pull the fluid into the line to prime the pump, and it takes a second or two. But, it does work. I had to get used to the way the electric motor worked the pump. And, not having it hooked up for 12 years, kinda forgot how it used to work anyway. Once you get it primed and pumping the first time, then repeated depressions of the spray button keeps the fluid coming in programmed "spurts." In other words, there is a circuit board in there that tells the motor to cut off after a few seconds of spraying. Perhaps the hardest thing so far, once I got it working, is to "re-aim" the spray nozzles at the windshield after having them off the truck for 12 years! haha. But, be SURE to ALSO ground the metal frame as well as having the ground wire connected next to the hot wire. On mine, there is a short ground loop on the firewall right behind the wiper motor that connects to the metal frame and that should take care of that. And the best thing is the new pump looks factory! Lane
Old 12-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
Katrina/10

I see, so pushing and holding the button down should work to fill the lines? I forgot how the original one works as well, hasn't worked in a long time. I bought my 77 GMC new, and I think the windshield washer worked just over a year. I put one of those rebuild kits you used to buy at the parts store in, and it didn't last long either. I think it's just a really bad design with that goofy arm, ratchet and piston pump in there.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 12-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
LBJ

I'm not exactly sure how the total mechanization is laid out, but on the first use, I just hit the button a few times till it begins spraying. So, not sure if it's that the button needs TWO bumps to start it or not. I'd just as soon have it run continuously as long as the button is held depressed. And, I suppose you could just hack the wiring and run the wires DIRECTLY to the PUMP MOTOR itself and that would run the motor until you released the button.

The original method of the 1977 design was pretty goofy. Seemed a rather Rube Goldberg operation! Needless complicated.

While you have the old spray setup off the wiper assembly, put some new grease on the wiper motor "worm gear" and it will run better and longer.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the total mechanization is laid out, but on the first use, I just hit the button a few times till it begins spraying. So, not sure if it's that the button needs TWO bumps to start it or not. I'd just as soon have it run continuously as long as the button is held depressed. And, I suppose you could just hack the wiring and run the wires DIRECTLY to the PUMP MOTOR itself and that would run the motor until you released the button.

The original method of the 1977 design was pretty goofy. Seemed a rather Rube Goldberg operation! Needless complicated.

While you have the old spray setup off the wiper assembly, put some new grease on the wiper motor "worm gear" and it will run better and longer.
I finally bought one of the same pumps you did, and it seems to work great so far. Do you have a picture of how your washer hoses are run from the pump to the nozzles? I took mine off because the pump was broken, and don't remember how they went under the hood.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 06-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #14
MJN

I finally bought one of the Trico pumps- I don't know why I even waited. It works great and no more listening to the old pump go click-click-click-click while the wipers are on or trying to get it to prime after sitting or having it start pumping while its raining out. I did feel bad removing the old pump that was Made in the USA.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #15
LBJ

Hi MJN, Yes, we live in a different world today! Gotta buy what's available.

I've heard of over-the-top Corvette owners getting brake master cylinders totally rebuilt on the inside, using their factory original M.C. with the original part number and misc markings, etc. They can then keep their Collector Corvette "matching numbers." But, for a square body Chevy truck, not that important to go to those extremes. My replacement windshield-squirter looks factory, so, I am happy that it looks good AND WORKS! Haha

Katrina/10, I don't have any pics of the hose routing, but will try to get one for you. Sorry I missed your post a long tome back!
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #16
MJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Hi MJN, Yes, we live in a different world today! Gotta buy what's available.

I've heard of over-the-top Corvette owners getting brake master cylinders totally rebuilt on the inside, using their factory original M.C. with the original part number and misc markings, etc. They can then keep their Collector Corvette "matching numbers." But, for a square body Chevy truck, not that important to go to those extremes. My replacement windshield-squirter looks factory, so, I am happy that it looks good AND WORKS! Haha

Katrina/10, I don't have any pics of the hose routing, but will try to get one for you. Sorry I missed your post a long tome back!
Coincidence I just rebuilt the rear brakes and put a new M/C on my '74 over the weekend. You can still get rebuild kits for the M/C but a new AC Delco cylinder was only $35 and is identical to the old one. Again, everything was made in China or Mexico (AC Delco, Wagner, Carlson and National) with exception of the axle shaft gaskets- FelPro made in USA.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
LBJ

Late, but here are a few pics of the spray setup. One hose from the tank to the pump. One line out of the pump, but added a Y splitter and one line each to the spray nozzles. That's it!

And I almost forgot. I bought a new set of tires in May 2021 after these only had 16.5 years on them! One blew out on the way to Discount Tires. But, held air the last mile or so. That was pretty funny. I got the last dime's worth of wear out of that set. I think they were COOPER tires from SAM's CLUB.

Another funny thing, tire stores only carry a few 15 inch rim size tires in stock, these days. Mostly for trailers. Whole set was $325 out the door. These were CORSA tires. Never heard of them, but they hold air. At this point, that's a good thing. Now I'm not afraid of driving her. Last few drives on the old tires, I could tell they were getting wonky as the steering wheel was rocking and LOTS of vibration up front.

They will last thru my lifetime. Ha.

I wish I had the opportunity to cleanup the rims and repaint them before changing the tires out. Original hubcaps with hand painted Bowtie and Yellow Ochre pin stripe.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
LT7A

Good info, thanks for posting, it's now in my notes. Glad you got to the tire store safely, it sounds like you got your money's worth out of your old tires. How about some pics or info on the rest of your truck?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #19
LBJ

Here's some pics from 6.5 years ago. I had her painted in 2007 (original colors) and a few new parts such as tailgate, grille, passenger door, front bed panel, new hood, new dash pad, new carpet and seat upholstery, new speedometer, new radio. Bought her brand new in 1977 from a local Chevy dealer. $5500 and payment was $125 month. She's a Bonanza with the usual 350 and auto tranny. Original engine and tranny. Been a good truck over 44 years. I'm driving her more now with the new tires! Ha. She's got less than 100K miles. The speedometer was never correct from day one (made a banging noise in the speedometer itself) so I unplugged it in 1979 until I did the redo in 2007 and I put a new one in. I'm guessing anywhere from 50K to 80K miles. I've kept it while buying several new cars, never could part with her. So, she sits in the garage attached to the house and the 2004 Chevy Silverado sits in the car port.
Attached Images

Last edited by LBJ; 06-16-2021 at 05:19 PM.