The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Thealien

Some updates on my not so rust free Blazer

Some of you may remember this thread, if not here is a link. It is also linked in my signature.

Disapointed in the Blazer I bought!!

Shortly after purchasing, a restoration shop had heard about my situation and told me he could help me out. I toured his shop and saw some of his work and felt he was up to the task. He was also doing a convertible Buick Skylark for a friend so I thought he was good to go! As happens too many times it was too good to be true. He quoted me a not too exceed $2250 (and said it would probably be less) to strip to bare metal the quarters, windshield frame, cowl, and A pillar to determine the amount of work that was needed. Within a week he had stripped the quarters and tried to get me to pay in full, I gave him $1500 towards the $2250 NOT TO EXCEED quote. My Blazer sat for 4 months getting moved in and out daily but not being worked on. He had the top balancing on some 6 X 4 blocks so he could access the top of the quarters (even though no work was done on the top of the quarters. I had even provided him some 2 X 6 boards with pre drilled holes to bolt to the bottom of the top to prevent it from falling off and being damaged. After a total of almost 6 months I decided to pull my Blazer out of his shop. He would not release it until I gave him another $650. It really bothered me to pay him any more for his sloooow and incomplete work but being a civil matter I didn't want to wait months fighting in court (and with Covid there is no courts) so I paid.

So here are some pictures of my Blazer today after getting it home. The Previous owner was quite the hack. He welded strips on the top of both bedsides to cover the removeable top holes. Being a St Louis Blazer it has both sets of holes or should I say had!

Some holes in the drivers side lower quarter in front of the wheel. Doesn't look like it was ever dented so I have no idea what these holes are for?

A dent on the drivers side quarter behind the wheel.

The hack of a fuel fill. There are pictures (in my disappointed thread) of it open with the wire nut spacers and from behind with the hideous weld job?

The body work would have been done for 1/2 the price and already finished if I had gone with the person a board member had introduced me to but I had already agreed to the other shop (just another of my many mistakes).

I went to Gloucester MA yesterday to meet with a true craftsman and restorer I met through a local forum I am a member of. He restores Porches and many unique vehicles and has done a few of our era trucks and has a 1970 pick up in his shop now. His work is 99% metal and almost no filler. I was trying to save a buck but this guy does the job 100% right so I am going to have him do the work. He can not get me in until next spring and body work and paint will be $20,000 (what I figured it was going to cost) to $30,000. But it will be done right.

Here are some pictures of a couple of his projects.

He showed me the before paint pictures of this Blue car with a 454 in it. there is less than a pint of filler on the whole car. Looked flawless! He was working on the hood while I was there. Literally no filler.

I guess I have plenty of time to find my last few parts. It will be 2022 before it is finished. It probably would have taken that long at the shop I pulled it out of for similar costs and a lot less quality.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Ptjsk

Re: Some updates on my not so rust free Blazer

If you get all rust replacement, metal work complete by a competent craftsman, and a complete paint job for 20k.....that's a great deal!

I do most all of my own body work, and have been doing my own paint (as long as it's solid colors), and I have found paint and supplies alone can easily exceed 5k! And that's not taking into account metal replacement parts.

Good luck with your venture,

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post
If you get all rust replacement, metal work complete by a competent craftsman, and a complete paint job for 20k.....that's a great deal!

I do most all of my own body work, and have been doing my own paint (as long as it's solid colors), and I have found paint and supplies alone can easily exceed 5k! And that's not taking into account metal replacement parts.

Good luck with your venture,

Pat
I have all the patch panels, an NOS drivers door, rockers, tailgate, inner and outer grill, condensor, window sweeps and felts, and passenger fender. Rebuilt vent windows, tilt, One of Classic Heartbeat's heater cores and I rebuilt the hinges. Except for paint it will be mostly labor and I would rather pay $30,000 and have it done right than $20,000 and be disappointed. He did say the $20 is on the low end and most likely closer to the $30,000 and "could" be more.

I'll also be doing all the interior, gauge cluster etc.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
SeventyOne

The top of your bedside looks rougghhhh
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
The top of your bedside looks rougghhhh
That is the cap the previous owner put on to cover up all the holes that you would mount to top to.There was also 1⁄2 an inch thick Bondo all around it. I am going to try to grind all those wells down and remove the cap Before bringing it to my restorer.

I really want to try to save the original sheet metal as much as I can But there always is after market bedsides?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Or grab the NOS ones off eBay.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:52 AM   #7
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Or grab the NOS ones off eBay.
I have been in talks with that seller since you originally posted the bedside for sale.He doesn't have any full size pictures or pictures of the tail light end, In pictures of the latch and it shows heavy rust.I asked for additional pictures told him about the after market bedsides that he swore didn't exist. I told him I was still interested if he would post additional pictures in better lighting he has since lowered the price but not provided the additional pictures I asked for .He wants $350 to crate and ship.I
Old 08-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That sounds like a possibly sketchy seller. There’s a single NOS bedside that popped up on eBay in addition to the pair.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 08-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
Thealien

Quote:
That sounds like a possibly sketchy seller. There’s a single NOS bedside that popped up on eBay in addition to the pair.
Could you post a link? The bedside is a single (the one you originally pointed out to me) and it is a drivers side which I need. Seller only has 2 reviews, wont post additional pictures and I am very concerned.

The pair I found was some very overpriced fenders?
Old 08-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Mark sorry I was mistaken, the $3k asking price on what I thought were a set of bedsides are in fact merely front fenders. Didn't realize that until I went to grab the link for you. Only the single bedside on eBay.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Thealien

Quote:
Mark sorry I was mistaken, the $3k asking price on what I thought were a set of bedsides are in fact merely front fenders. Didn't realize that until I went to grab the link for you. Only the single bedside on eBay.
Not a problem at all sir.I appreciate you looking out for me.