The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
smbrouss70

I lost my best friend yesterday

I really don't know how to put what I'm feeling into words. My best friend for the past 11 1/2 years passed away yesterday. Rest In Peace, Oscar.

He was the best protecter for my wife while I was working out of town. He wouldn't let men into our house unless I was there, even men that he already knew. He was good natured, gentle with children, and thought it was more important to put a smile on other's faces, than to worry about his own problems.

Oscar loved classic trucks more than I do probably. He used to love to ride in the bed and stick his head around the side of the cab, so that his lips could flap in the wind. When I bought my blazer in Arizona, he rode there with me, and just enjoyed the trip even though it was too hot to let him ride in the bed the whole time. When I got home, I wanted to strip my 70 swb to put the drivetrain and everything else into the blazer to get it on the road faster. He wouldn't let me, he needed that truck to ride in. Needless to say, I couldn't deprive him of what he wanted, so after that the truck became HIS. If I could've legally put it in his name, I would have. Since I couldn't, I've recently ordered a personalized plate that will read "OSCAR B" so that everyone that sees his truck will know that it's really his, I'm just the care-taker.

He made many trips with us. The Arizona trip, Niagara Falls, the Corvette Museum (those bastards wouldn't let him in), the 67-72 National Board meet last year, up to Wynne's house to get some parts, and just anytime we went anywhere, he was along for the ride.

He had some tumors removed from his stomach in Feb. that turned out to be benign. One of them grew back with-in 3-4 months, and was growing in such a way that it could not be removed. It eventually got the best of him, and this last week I had to pick him up for him to go outside. We both knew that his time was short, so I spent his last week sleeping on the floor in the kitchen and living room, so that I couldn't look back and wish I had spent more time with him. Yesterday I called my cousin, who is a Vet in Lafayette, to come and put him down because neither of us could take his suffering anymore. I know that I did the right thing, but I can't help but feel guilty about it. I really miss him.

I've included some pictures from when I first got his truck, can't you tell how excited he was to get to ride in that classic piece of steel? The other picture is just one of my favorites, that I wanted to share.

I'm sorry if I rambled here, but I just needed to get this out and let all of you know how wonderful, and how special he was.

I will always Love You, Oscar!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote