The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 AM   #26
Smooth1SITF

Cool Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

Yeah, actually it was in horrible shape. I'm completely replacing the cab. I kinda don't have a choice as its too far gone. I found a 72 CST cab with A/C so I am going to use it.

The cross member was bent really bad. I believe they tried to connect a chair to it at some point and pull something that bent it. Replacing it I feel will be a better option. Scoti found the site below that sells the part rather cheap. I'm going to go that route. I'll post a pic of the damage probably tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I can't believe that original cab!!!
Looked like it was from a northern state!
That rear crossmember can be straightened w/ a torch, and hammer, no problem...
Engine: Currently - 350 / Proj Finish - 454 - Transmission: Currently - Muncie on the floor / Estimated to Finish - TBD - Bed: Currently Short Bed Fleetside w/Steel Floor / Finish - Short Bed Fleetside w/Red Oak Wood Floor & Matching Interchangeable Short Bed Stepside w/Red Oak Wood Floor
Smooth1SITF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #27
Smooth1SITF

Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

Calvin thanks! I really like BlckButy's trucks overall look. I am going to make a few modification to his design though. I am planning on going with a metallic type paint of that color and I want to keep the original paint scheme from the factory so traditional roof white, turq on top, white stripe and turq on bottom. Going to stay with the original CST wood grain trim.

The replacement cab I have is factory orange so I am going to strip it down to get it painted correctly. The original truck was turq so thats why I chose the color. I HAVE been contemplating a midnight blue but, so far, the turq is where I am sticking at.

I think I am going to replace the cross member. Website says its $49.00 so its not bad. I have he truck down to the frame right now in the garage so just waiting for the weather to clear up and some cash so I can get it ready for powder coating.

You do look close in Aledo. Maybe can meet up sometime to take a look and get some opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin78612 View Post
Just read your build thread and like the direction your headed. I've always liked the color and overall stance of 72 BlckButy's truck. As far as the crossmember goes if it were me I would replace w/ an aftermarket one, and you will love those rivets. A grinder, punch,and big hammer have served me well ! If you need a hand let me know. If you have a cherry picker I have a cab and bed lift.
Engine: Currently - 350 / Proj Finish - 454 - Transmission: Currently - Muncie on the floor / Estimated to Finish - TBD - Bed: Currently Short Bed Fleetside w/Steel Floor / Finish - Short Bed Fleetside w/Red Oak Wood Floor & Matching Interchangeable Short Bed Stepside w/Red Oak Wood Floor
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
calvin78612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1SITF View Post
Calvin thanks! I really like BlckButy's trucks overall look. I am going to make a few modification to his design though. I am planning on going with a metallic type paint of that color and I want to keep the original paint scheme from the factory so traditional roof white, turq on top, white stripe and turq on bottom. Going to stay with the original CST wood grain trim.

The replacement cab I have is factory orange so I am going to strip it down to get it painted correctly. The original truck was turq so thats why I chose the color. I HAVE been contemplating a midnight blue but, so far, the turq is where I am sticking at.

I think I am going to replace the cross member. Website says its $49.00 so its not bad. I have he truck down to the frame right now in the garage so just waiting for the weather to clear up and some cash so I can get it ready for powder coating.

You do look close in Aledo. Maybe can meet up sometime to take a look and get some opinions.
I'm @ 820 & 30 (camp bowie ). I'm off fri,sat,and sun. If you need help removing crossmember let me know.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #29
Smooth1SITF

Thumbs up Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

Sounds good. I am off I-20 and McCart so not too far away.....

I'm off Thur & Fri starting on the 7th so maybe we can meet up and ill show ya what I am working on. I'm a little novice at this so some experience and wisdom is welcome.

I also am on vacation that following week Sunday night - Sat morning so ill keep ya posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin78612 View Post
I'm @ 820 & 30 (camp bowie ). I'm off fri,sat,and sun. If you need help removing crossmember let me know.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #30
sixty9c10

Great stuff, in with my 69 at the mo. good luck with ya build.
sixty9c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #31
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Five lug wheels on a 69?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #32
Smooth1SITF

Cool My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wheel Base Fleetside Bed Pickup

Well, I initially thought so until I took everything apart and found spacers that went from 6 lug to 5 lug.

I'm going to rebuild the rear end and put in 5 lug. Front end will be easier since I am redoing the entire system up from so I will just order a 5 lug disc brakes set so, in the end they will be 5 lug.

Going to get rid of the drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
Five lug wheels on a 69?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #33
Smooth1SITF

My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wheel Base Fleetside Bed Pickup

Calvin,

thanks for your help on the rear cross member. Found them online, ordered it, got it in and installed it. Was an exact match but when I called them, they said its modified to allow the under bed fuel tank.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #34
Smooth1SITF

OK all... Here are my updates. Been working on it a bit this week since im on vacation. In this section, you will see where the rear cross-member was damaged, but did not effect the integrity of the frame. Thanks to calvin's help, I found a replacement to correct the issue:
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #35
Smooth1SITF

Ok here its the replacement cross-member and the install process. Replacement was found at Early Classic Restoration and Suspension out of Fresno, CA. Had a question about the part and they were quick to help me understand it and was very friendly. Part can super fast too. www.earlyclassic.com is where I found it with calvin's help.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #36
Smooth1SITF

Showing the cross-member install.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #37
Smooth1SITF

Here are some photos of the damaged cross-member after it was removed and replaced. Overall look of the new one in place.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #38
FRANKENSTEINC10

I like what I see so far. Keep it up.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #39
Smooth1SITF

OK, after I got the cross-member in, I started the next phase by starting the removal of the rear-end from the frame.

My 13 year old assistance Damian is helping me with this build. Im pretty sure when I get older and pass away, the completed truck will be passed to him.
Attached Images

Last edited by Smooth1SITF; 03-11-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #40
Smooth1SITF

Ok, so now we got the rear-end separated from the frame. We started breaking down the trailing arms and all so we could inspect the condition and prep them for powder coating.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #41
Smooth1SITF

Thanks Frankenstein.. Appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEINC10 View Post
I like what I see so far. Keep it up.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #42
Smooth1SITF

The next day, we started with the preparations for the Hotchkis Rear end suspension kit. The removal of the trailing arms brackets so that the anti-squat kit can be installed after powder coating.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #43
Smooth1SITF

Some more photos of the training arms brackets removal
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #44
Smooth1SITF

Final photos of the bracket removal. Also my makeshif work bench on the back of my truck...hahaha
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #45
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice progress on the chassis. Looks like a bunch of fun rivets to punch out
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #46
Smooth1SITF

Yeah, there was quite a few. Probably close to at least 20 total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice progress on the chassis. Looks like a bunch of fun rivets to punch out
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #47
calvin78612

Looks like you've busy, i'm off today if you need a hand,ill pm you my #. Sorry i haven't been in touch sooner but I've been down w/ a bad shoulder.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #48
Smooth1SITF

Been off a little bit busy at work then I was sick for a little while so I have slacked off quite a bit in the last few months. Now getting back to things. Sending the frame down for powder coating next week. Hotchkis Rear suspension system was received so I will be putting that in once it gets back. Pictures to follow of powder coating here soon.

I do need some suggestions if someone can help me. I have now decided to put a 454 into the truck. What I am wondering is, for the automatic transmission, what is the best combination of torque converter, transmission, and rear end ratio should I use to make the best balance? I have been suggested to replace the rear-end with a modern rear end so I can make best of the disc brakes ect.

Anyone have and good suggestions? In the planning stages now since I am getting close to being finished with the frame.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #49
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1SITF View Post
Been off a little bit busy at work then I was sick for a little while so I have slacked off quite a bit in the last few months. Now getting back to things. Sending the frame down for powder coating next week. Hotchkis Rear suspension system was received so I will be putting that in once it gets back. Pictures to follow of powder coating here soon.

I do need some suggestions if someone can help me. I have now decided to put a 454 into the truck. What I am wondering is, for the automatic transmission, what is the best combination of torque converter, transmission, and rear end ratio should I use to make the best balance? I have been suggested to replace the rear-end with a modern rear end so I can make best of the disc brakes ect.

Anyone have and good suggestions? In the planning stages now since I am getting close to being finished with the frame.
There's so many members on this site, it's a great thing. Each one of them has their idea's. There's many ways to do things, it's crazy.

I'm pretty conservative. Glad to hear your choice of a 454. big block crate engines can be had for a fair price, especially compared to LS stuff. Look at Scoggin Dickey's website, it you don't already have an engine in hand.

Not sure what a "modern" rear might be. All the 67-72 coil spring 1/2 tons had 12 bolt rears, there may be some rare exceptions, and the leaf spring pickups had Dana rear ends (GMC's mostly?) The pickup 12 bolt is nearly the same as the car 12 bolt. One pinion bearing is the only difference, making the car and truck gears not interchangeable. The gear carriers will interchange.

Two of the most common gear ratios in these pickups are 3.73, and 3.07. Either would work fine in your case. If you were worried about MPG, the 454 would not have been your choice to start with. A TH400 trans would work just fine, be the strongest also. Continental torque converters make a cool unit that doesn't slip, but still has the performance we all want, it's not cheap, but worth every penny.

The 454 w/ a TH400, and 3.73 gear would be an awesome performer, could get 12 MPG w/ a proper tune...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #50
Smooth1SITF

Thanks for your post. I have the original 350 motor with it and a 3 speed muncie that it came with but I wanted to make it automatic on this restoration. So I plan to sell it and get something better. So I have thought about it a lot and wanted something with some power and something that sounds good. Like tough coming down the road. Not too worried about gas mileage on this puppy, I have a regular daily driver for that. So that brought me to start looking at big block 454.

The rear end, some people have told me to wich it out with a camero rear end. One person said take a Ford Police Interceptor rear end and slap it on.... So I was getting a but confused.

I have been looking around at different things and this is what I came up with.

1) Engine - I went to Southwest Classics in Arlington, TX and saw a 454 engine they were selling. Was very nice and it kinda of got me interested in it.

2) Torque Converter - Looked at a lot of B & M so I was thinking about the B & M Holeshot 2400.

3) Transmission - So, thought about a matching B & M GM TH400 to go with it.

4) Rear End - I currently have the stock rear-end. 12 total lugs. I was thinking about taking it somewhere to get re-built.

What do you think?

I'm working on finishing the frame and the suspension right now (suspension is a full Hotchkis suspension system), so this is future planning and design right now. I plan to put the engine, transmission, and exhaust system in after that before I work on putting the cab, bed and front end back on.