The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #1
Riboflav1n

Looking for advice and/or resources

I was looking for a towing rig last Autumn and came across this old forest service 1991 R2500 Suburban and had to have it. It's turned out not only to be great for towing, but it gets all kinds of attention. It drives great and has been more fun to own than just about anything I've had, and I've had some really great cars.

I think it's amazing as it is, but I have some stuff in mind to improve it and wondering about others' experiences and advice.

Here's the list of thing I'm interested in doing:

1. Dash replacement - who has the best product for the money?
2. Replacing gauge bezel - new or used?
3. Rear disc brake conversion - worth it?
4. 20" or 22" smoothies - best brand, price?
5. Static or bagged lowering without affecting towing capacity?
6. Rust protection without coating the underside with gunk.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Looking for advice and/or resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflav1n View Post
Here's the list of thing I'm interested in doing:

1. Dash replacement - who has the best product for the money?
2. Replacing gauge bezel - new or used?
3. Rear disc brake conversion - worth it?
4. 20" or 22" smoothies - best brand, price?
5. Static or bagged lowering without affecting towing capacity?
6. Rust protection without coating the underside with gunk.

Thanks!
Man that's a great looking truck! I thought R2500 had to be a typo, especially for a Forestry rig, I didn't know they used 2wd.

1. USA-1
2. New. The reproductions look great, like OEM.
3. I'm not a fan of rear disc conversions, only because I personally like the factory brakes. When I think of installing an adjustable proportioning valve, and all the panic stops needed to try to hopefully get it right for all situations, my head spins. That might not bother you, but personally I'd upgrade the front brakes before the rear, if you think it needs more.
4 and 5 aren't really my wheelhouse
6. I like to degrease and pressure wash everything underneath and give it all a fresh coat of rattle-can satin black. It's no fun cleaning but the results look great and it works.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #3
Riboflav1n

Hey, thanks for the input, I'll look into USA-1 for the dash.

Yeah, the 2wd is kind of a surprise. This one may have been special purpose, maybe for towing something since the 2wd has a bigger towing capacity.

Good info regarding rear disc conversion. The thing actually stops great even pulling 4 tons. This is probably an idea that sounds cool but is impractical and unnecessary in reality.

I've heard others say rattle can, even someone saying to put several couple coats of rattle can clear coat all over the bottom. The other option is to never drive it after the roads have been treated and pressure wash the underside frequently.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
James Lamb

Hey - nice find.

In case you have not discovered LMC Truck, they carry a ton of parts for our vehicles. I've had nothing but good experience with them. I know they have several dash replacement options, but cannot comment on any of them since I've never bought that part.

They also carry a bunch of gauge options. Some cool, but very $$$$$

Brakes - I have a 1989 1500 4 x 4. Very first thing I did after I bought it was to rebuild the brakes. As in, turned rotors and drums, replaced pads, replaced rear cylinders, etc. I recently had to do a near panic stop from 55 mph. The entire truck was heeled forward, me against the seat/chest strap, but it stopped just fine. No pulling to one side. Stock brakes should be ok if they're in good shape.

The short rubber lines from the frame to the front calipers have a tendency to collapse internally. When you step on the brakes the pulse of fluid pushes the gap open, but when you take your foot off the brakes the lines constrict and keep the brakes partially clamped. This is a serious pain - ask me how I know. Replace those with high quality stainless ones. Trust me, worth it not to have to try and drive 30 miles trying not to use the brakes, because if you do you'll have to get out and crack the bleed valve on that wheel open to get the brake unlocked. Happened to me twice, including two replacement hoses before I spent the extra for the stainless lines.

Also, many of these trucks at this age the rear springs are shot and the truck tends to ride nose up. I put some new rear springs from General Springs on mine, lifted it back level, and really noticeable improvement when towing as the extra weight was lifting the front even further and it was squirelly to drive. I finally added rear air bags so I could lift the rear if towing something heavy and that was worth the effort.
James Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
LT7A

Cool rig and you already have some good information here. There is a dash cover replacement that is made by a company that has a state name. A southwestern-ish state (or city?). Somebody else will remember maybe. People seem to like those. I'm more of a Dremel out the cracks and run a bead of sealant guy. But I get the idea of renewing things like that. I'm not sure any of them have the steel substructure though and so I like to stick with OEM products if at all possible.

The the disc brake replacement products always seem to be so fiddly. The big drum brakes that come on rigs like that do their job just fine. DirtyLarry here on the forum has a rant about it in one of his build threads. Personally, I think the disc brake conversions look cool, but beyond that, it's money being spent for a minor improvement, if that.

Hard to beat Rust-Oleum paint on the frame and chassis. Cheap, paints directly over rust, and lasts quite well.

If you ask a moderator to move this thread into the squarebody build threads, you will have much more traffic and possibly more opinions than you want, haha. Welcome to the forum.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Riboflav1n

Thanks for info James and LT7A.

I think you're right about asking a moderator to move it squarebody builds.