The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
jdorrough

Front Speaker "Boxes"

I've looked around on the site and came up short finding anyone doing what I think will work best for a front audio setup. The consensus seems to be either rig up something in the factory under dash location or do kick panel speakers. I don't particularly like either of those options so I'm thinking about using something like the picture attached. It's made for a jeep but I think it will fit. So my question is, why does it appear no one else is going this route? Is there something obvious I'm missing here? Sound quality degraded? Others think it looks awful? Any opinions are appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Front Speaker "Boxes"

My guess is probably the looks of it. You might be able to make something that tucks it up towards the middle of the firewall?

Here's what I did on my 63. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=314Similar to what spider did, but I don't have the space constraints that he seems to have

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 05-05-2021 at 12:30 PM.
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
spudder

I'm like you, I don't like the kick panel options or the side by side dual speakers in the original dash position.
I opted to create my own under dash speaker solution. I modified dash speaker brackets from a mid '80s square body. I located them in each corner of the dash facing down. They are only 3 inch speakers, but with larger speakers in the rear, they will be adequate. I don't need a high powered audio system.
The picture shows the passenger side speaker. The driver's side is mounted in the same position. I also fabricated the grilles
Attached Images

spudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
jdorrough

Thanks guys! I like the idea of hiding the speakers like you did Spudder. My only concern would be sound quality with how small of speaker I would be able to fit. With the after market A/C, space is limited. I doubt I'd be able to find space for 6.5" speakers. I don't mind seeing the speakers as long as it looks professional. I completely understand that looks are an opinion based thing and some may puke at the idea of mounting a speaker in sight under the dash. Again, thanks for the input fellas!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

I've also seen guys add speakers and a radio to center consoles

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
roll_the_dice

The PO of my truck did this for front speakers. Now the speakers aren't as big as what you posted, but I am planning on putting this back in. It was in the exact location as your photo. I think it is a cool look...it is just an old acetone container. I sat it in the truck so you could see what it will look like. I think this is the only thing I will have reinstalled that the PO did...I will not have a high end system either...just 2 speakers up front and 2 in the rear cab corners...no sub, nothing fancy.
Attached Images

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 05-05-2021 at 12:47 PM.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
bsarts

If I had known something like that existed, I would have bought one for mine, I like the look and I like my music in my face. I got a new in dash speaker and the under seat ones, will find out how I like them when I get the truck put together.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
jdorrough

Just to close the loop here in case anyone is interested in doing the same, I've attached a couple pics. I like the way they turned out and the sound is as good as I could expect. I plan to add an amp to push them at some point as well as a sub to help with the lows. For anyone that has a stock manual floor shift truck, it may not work. I included a picture as reference to where my stock shifter hole was vs. my new shifter location.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
roll_the_dice

Looks clean!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote