The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Mitzki5
"TRUCKLESS"

Help find oil leak

I just built the motor and put it in. After break in and everything I took it for a drive. When I got back there was oil all over the passenger side of motor below the heads. I cleaned everything and started motor back up to see where leak was. Couldn't find a leak, so I took it for a short drive and sure enough, oil all over side of motor again. So I decided to replace the oil pan gaskets because I thought it was leaking at the joint between timing cover and oil pan. After I did all that I started it up and no leak while parked. Took for drive and sure enough oil all over side of motor again. Where in the hell is it coming from. It only leaks while I am driving it and it leaks bad. It's hard to tell anything because it is so bad. I think the fan is blowing the oil all over the place. Please help. Thanks.

No longer have an old truck! But always looking for another one!
Mitzki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #2
frost89434

Did you put a bolt in where the fuel pump shaft is. There should be a 3/8" x 1/2"L bolt there. If it's not there you will get a leak. It's located on the front passenger side of the engine.
Sparks, Nevada
frost89434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Yup, I'll bet tehats what it is too. The hole you probably stuck a long bolt in to hold the fuel pump pushrod up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #4
Mitzki5
"TRUCKLESS"

Not sure where you are talking about. I bolted the fuel pump on of course but is there another bolt hole somewhere?

Old 07-11-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
Mitzki5
"TRUCKLESS"

Where does this long bolt go that you are talking about. I don't understand. Here is a crappy pic. Can you describe where bolt goes. Does it go in block or pump. Why does oil only leak when I drive and not when parked?
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2002, 12:23 AM   #6
Mitzki5
"TRUCKLESS"

I found two holes to the left of the timing cover. They look to be for a 3/8" bolt. What is the purpose of the bolt and do I just need to put a bolt in the hole. Neither of the two holes have a bolt in them. Which do I put a bolt in. Thanks a million fellas. I was ready to sell everything earlier. It is much appreciated.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

When replacing your fuel pump. you need some way to hold that pushrod up. You remove the short bolt out, install a longer one in. This holds the push rod in the up position...or what ever position it is in when you put the bolt in.
The oil pump area is the last place to get oil, it commonly runs dry.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:38 AM   #8
frost89434

I think it is the lower left. Don't put too long of a bolt in it though. If you do it will hit the fuel pump rod. It is a 3/8" x 1/2"Long bolt. I would just put bolts in both holes just too make sure you get the right one. Hope this helps
Sparks, Nevada
frost89434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:48 AM   #9
chevy71super

When I first built my motor (350) I had a similar problem. In my garage no leak, took it out on the road and came back with oil everywhere. So this is what I did. I block the wheels REAL good and had my wife powerbrake the truck (not hard) while I laid underneath it. (Legs pointing forwrd just in case the truck got away from her.) I discovered the engine was developing enough torque to twist the pan away from the block even though I thought I had the bolts tight enough. I tightened th bolts further and that took care of it for the most part. To completely solve the problem I ended up buying a new oil pan.

I do not necessarily recommend laying under your truck while your wife (or anyone else for that matter) torques the engine.
Doug
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 AM   #10
Mitzki5
"TRUCKLESS"

Thank you so much. I just read in a book that it is the top hole. You can imagine what a pain in the a@@ this has been. I was so pi$$ed earlier I couldn't think straight. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I'll plug that first thing in the morning. Later Thanks Mitzki5

Old 07-11-2002, 07:26 PM   #11
Blue68

Be sure and let us all know how it turns out.

I don't know what bolt these guys are talking about. I don't see one in my shop manual. Never dealt with such an animal when I changed my pumps.

Of course, now I have a fuel injection block so no manual pump. Still not magic bolt either.

My bet would have been the lifter cover. You get the rpms up for a while you can pump a lot of oil and depending on your heads and covers, it's easy for the corners to not have a gasket seal.

Still like to know about the bolt though.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 05:56 AM   #12
68 Suburban

Mitzki5, did plugging that hole take care of your problem?