The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
MMiller1050

Heard some bad things about CPP.

Well doing my research since I am about the put disc brakes on all fours for my 1969 Chevy c-10 longbed. I have seen some pretty bad posts about CPP. I was going to go with one of their kits, but now am concerned. Looking for a kit that has all I need to rip of the drums and everything else needed and replace with what is needed to have discs. I do not want to spend money on crap parts....so does anyone have a opinion on CPP's parts compared to POL? What have you all done on the past to upgrade to discs all the way around?

Thank you,
Mike M
MMiller1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
C101972

Re: Heard some bad things about CPP.

I myself recently bought the CPP 13” front and 12” rear rotors, modular spindles with sealed bearings and calipers. The kit was well packaged when I received it. Everything went together well with good instructions. Have their tubular a arms and springs, sway bars. I don’t have a problem with their products. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Rickysnickers

While I have a different year truck than yours, I have a '57, I did have an issue with the CPP kit I bought. It's a 13" rotor kit for a TCI Custom IFS MII suspension. The brackets, calipers, and rotors were fine. The problem was that it uses spacers between the bracket and the caliper. They sent the wrong size spacer, meaning it was too long, about an inch. When I contacted them about it, they were of no help. I was told it was not a very popular kit and they didn't sell many of them. They didn't even bother to ask what part I needed. After measuring, I had to order a spacer from Jeg's, IIRC. I got those spacers installed and the brake kit works really well.

If the kit your looking at uses the same calipers as the one I bought (which I'm sure it probably does), they are from an '09 Silverado. The rotors are CPP parts only.
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

I don't buy "kits" the CPP parts I've used I buy thru Summit for the quick free shipping and great customer service , Everything I used CPP has fit right .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
67C10Step

^^^^^I followed Grumpy's advice and purchased my CPP drop spindles, rotors, and calipers from Summit. It all fit just fine.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
'70_402

Customer service sucks, buy their parts from summit.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller1050 View Post
Well doing my research since I am about the put disc brakes on all fours for my 1969 Chevy c-10 longbed. I have seen some pretty bad posts about CPP. I was going to go with one of their kits, but now am concerned. Looking for a kit that has all I need to rip of the drums and everything else needed and replace with what is needed to have discs. I do not want to spend money on crap parts....so does anyone have a opinion on CPP's parts compared to POL? What have you all done on the past to upgrade to discs all the way around?

Thank you,
Mike M
Post up a picture of the truck your working on . Have you already rebuilt the suspension ? wheels/tires/ is it already dropped ? What look / style are you going for ? Daily driver ? weekend warrior ? have you already replaced body mounts ? Have you already replaced all new brake lines , Ball joints ,shocks . Or are you installing the big brake kit and when you stomp on the new brakes the body comes off and keeps going ? Plan on hitting the burn out box ? There's a lot to consider / upgrade before tossing a new "big brake kit " under it .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 03-16-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Rickysnickers

I should have added in my review that I did purchase through Summit. It was shipped free too
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #9
tim_mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I don't buy "kits" the CPP parts I've used I buy thru Summit for the quick free shipping and great customer service , Everything I used CPP has fit right .
Yep! I buy CPP stuff from Summit - they have great service and an easy return process.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:22 PM   #10
MMiller1050

To everyone,

I have done nothing to the stock rear end except removal of the factory drums and replaced the shocks. I am restoring this truck to just be a cruiser. No drag racing, no autocross and I do not need race stuff. Just wanting to upgrade to better brakes. I do not think I need baer/wilwood stuff. After reading ya'lls replies I decided to get a rear disc brake kit from Summit (CPP) for the free shipping and the easy returns mentioned. Not the big brake kit either just 11 inch rotors. I hope it will perform to meet my needs. If this kit works will I plan on getting the one for the front with the new master and booster. Also replacing all the brake lines also. I do plan on dropping about 3 or 4 inches in rear....2.5 in the front with drop spindles.

If anyone has bought the CPP front disc brake kit and what luck you had with it and if I need to look out for something any help would be appreciated.

As a side note.....I have a lot of drum brake parts (new) I would like to sell for a good price.

Thank you,
Mike M
Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

I wouldn't install disc brakes on the rear axle first . They will lock up tighter than Dick's hat band . The weight of the truck is in the front that's where your breaking force comes from and why stock trucks used front disc brakes and drum rears . Use the rear drum brake parts you already have and buy the front disc brakes .

Start a new thread to get info on improving your brakes . Now that this thread is in vendor review area it won't get as much attention .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 03-17-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
MMiller1050

Oh, I will be doing the front brakes before its out on the road, probably if this kit works out good and I like the fit and quality will do the front in about a month. Wanting to redo the whole brake system. The truck needs more work to be out on the road. Dash wiring harness and Wiper Motor work among them.

Thanks for the info.
Mike M
Old 03-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
MikeB

I had a few of their Chinese products on a 55 Chevy car. I'd say 50% of them were OK, the others acceptable to poor. Ball joints that came with their upper control arms had cracked dust boots. They did send me another pair, but I ended up using Moog ball joints. The control arms themselves were nice, except they just barely mated with the rubber snubbers on the frame.

The car also had one of their 500-series steering boxes. It worked fairly well, but the optional aluminum cover that came separately had the world's softest chrome bolts. Made me wonder what the steering box internals were like. Had I kept the car, I would have replaced it with one from Borgeson.

On another note, I second the Grump. Rear drums work great on these trucks, and unless you use a high quality disc kit from a vendor like Wilwood, I doubt you'd feel any improvement over drums. My 69 has 5-on-5 axles with Wagner shoes and the heavier 71-72 finned drums, so they can handle more abuse than the 69's non-finned drums. Not that I ever really need that!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 03-25-2021 at 10:08 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
MMiller1050

Thanks for all the info on this.

I do have a question about wheel studs. Have to use longer wheel studs for the disc brakes.....and I took one of the original ones out. It has a "186" on it and the ones that came in the kit is longer and I am supposed to use them. It has a "259" on it. Is this related to them being longer that the original's...or is this related to strength of the bolt? They are both grade "8" bolts, having the six lines on them.

Thanks for everyone help with my questions.

MikeM