The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #26
mr48chev

Re: garage cabinets

His walls are really bare right now, the house is just now being built. My daughter and son in law have been looking out in that area.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #27
vintovka

I am cheap so i go to the local Habitat for Humanity store and usually find stuff i need or can modify to work. Of note inflation and shortages have made it a very popular spot lately and not many are doing kitchen remodels anymore so selection may be very poor. That said $10 2x4s and 40+ OSB don't bode well for DIY cabinetry either. I have seen some stuff at big box stores but even the 10% off for vets hasn't impressed me. The steel issues have resulted in much cheaping out and many seem flimsy.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #28
56 3100

i used gladiator here . mostly on sale. raven is right if garage blank slate good time to do it. i have a good link for 2x4 frame work bench if anyone interested. its L shaped but can make staight version i fitted lower cabinets to it.

[url=https://ibb.co/L9Xk4Ww]

Lazy suzan in corner to make use of wasted space.

[url=https://ibb.co/n0n7mkc][/url

tall cabinets

air line in wall
[url=https://ibb.co/DG78w3f]
air line under counter top.
[url=https://ibb.co/7jhQqvx]

Last edited by 56 3100; 06-09-2022 at 02:33 PM.
56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #29
R&B51

Having installed these in many different spaces (not really an active business these days just do it for family and friends or myself), one of the biggest problems is garages are being designed so much smaller these days. Often I was limited by what others have said here getting in and out of your vehicle and around the front and back of it. If it’s not built yet, you can have the builder plan for some extra space for those kind of things and still park vehicles in there that you can move out when you wanna work on something.If already planned out or built and you’re going to be using any of that to park a car, that has to be considered. If you have a third bay or one you’re never going to park in, you have a lot more latitude on depth and location of cabinets. Not a real problem for selling it later on or anything like that or even if you change your mind because these cabinets that mount on the wall come off in literally minutes and are completely relocatable or sellable. They do not even have backs inside if you get the Slide Lok and a few other brands. No real need to heavily fortify the wall behind them if it is regular construction 2 x 4 or 2 x 6. It is amazing how much weight you can hang on a wall when it is attached to studs in three or four places inside. All the forces are sheer forces up and down very little rotational force away from the wall unless you load extreme weight in the very deep cabinets. A number of my 2 foot deep cabinets are full of heavy steel jackstands and other items and it is no problem.
Also, be sure to locate electric and water lines so you don’t put a screw into one of them as they pass them through a stud. I know that from experience once or twice and had to pay for repairs. I plumbed in Airlines behind the walls and put connection ports all the way around the perimeter. Stuck one in the middle of the ceiling and put a roll down air cable on it that reaches the whole shop. I don’t think I’ve ever used one of those that I plumbed into the wall since I built it because the one hanging from the ceiling is so much easier to grab and go with. Same is true with electrical receptacles there all the way around, but I still use the big real hanging from the ceiling 80% of the time
Sorry if I went on and on, some thing I enjoyed doing on the side for years and it is nice to have everything behind doors. Allows for a lot cleaner storage of products and parts. Everything off the floor I can clean it out with a leaf blower or garden hose and no sweat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 06-10-2022 at 09:46 AM.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:08 PM   #30
R&B51

Oops, sorry about the rotation. I forgot to crop the photo. I think I figured out that when I take pictures with my phone I take them holding it up and down and all I have to do is go in afterwards and just edit them and crop the edges a little then when I post them they come out oriented properly if I just post them the way I took them they’re always sideways.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:17 PM   #31
vintovka

Just completing what may be my final workspace in the new garage. As i thought about it the need for air lines and even electrical stuff has been greatly reduced with the advent of so many cordless devices. There always will be a need for compressors and some corded tools but its kinda strange when battery operated devices are taking over. Point of fact, my new metal garage was assembled by 3 guys and a 6 or 8 bank battery charger for their tools. Even the metal saws and radio were battery operated. I did set aside a mutl outlet with room for a battery bank and places for all the tools they serve.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #32
mr48chev

The only problem with those air hoses in that position is that if you accidently let the hose reel in without controlling it you stand the chance of breaking windshield or window or damaging paint. I had to buy a guy a windshield back in the 70's because of one. Real handy but be careful with it.

I have to agree that the cordless electric tools are taking over.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote