The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #101
JayB22

Re: Help Please - 4x4 S10 swap questions

Dsraven and Tempest - thanks for the info on the distributor. I spent 10 min googling to see if it can be adjusted where it is but never found anything useful. I wasn’t sure if I’d run into issues with getting my timing set right if I adjusted it. Glad to know it’s doable with our messing everything else up. Works been crazy this week so I haven’t had much time to do anything with the truck.

Joe you are absolutely correct. I never had a issue with modifying the firewall for it all to fit correctly. I just had it in my mind that if I can’t get the motor low enough that I’d end up having to live with the slope of the motor to some extent above 3 degrees so I would try to find a way to adapt. Forgetting that worst case scenario I just rub the rest of the floor and install it all correctly.

Thanks everyone for helping me talk this through. I appreciate it.
JayB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #102
dsraven

Re: Help Please - 4x4 S10 swap questions

for the distributor, if it is already installed and set up it is still easily turned without pulling the distributor out. simply turn the housing the same number of degrees as it is to the next wire tower on the cap, then move the wires over so they are clocked the same as they were before. it is easy if you mark the housing where number 1 cyl wire tower is on the cap and also the cylinder next to that in the direction of rotation you want the dizzy to be turned, so drop a mark down from the tower wire connections and transfer the marks onto the metal part of the dizzy. then turn the engine by hand to line up with number 1 cyl on the timing mark pointer, then take the cap off and see if the rotor is pointing to that mark or if it is 1/2 a turn out. if it is 1/2 a turn out just turn the engine another turn to the timing pointer and that should fix that issue and the rotor should be pointing to the mark you made on the dizzy housing for number 1 cyl. now simply turn the dizzy housing so the rotor lines up with the mark for the next cyl. put the cap back on and move the plug wires around the cap by one tower location. if you planned on 2 tower locations of rotation simply mark the housing 2 locations over. it goes without saying that you will want to confirm the timing after doing this, thats easy enough though. remember the electrical plug on the opposite side is going to be closer to the firewall when the dizzy is turned so the vac advance clears. you gain one and lose the other
with all that said remember that you will need some room to remove the dizzy cap to do maintenance, blow out condensation after an engiine shampoo etc etc. sometimes this happens at the least opportune time, like at the car wash. it sucks when there isn't enough room and it was your own fault.......trust me......when you "engineer" something and then you have to work on it later you understand your shortcomings and dont do it the same next time
seat base idea. if you need to tunnel the floor just cut out the area you need and possibly the old base that is left intact can be enclosed to provide a new seat base for the donor seats. just an idea and maybe it wont work anyway. like joedoh says, cut it off, flatten the part left. unless you plan to keep the floor bare nobody will see that anyway.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote