The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #751
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Bruce,
How's the truck treating you? I guess you have been having fun driving it often? Update pictures?
I’ve had it out a few times and its running fine no real problems that I’ve found so far. Not that it’s a fear weather truck but just haven’t taken it out without a reason with all the winter weather and rain. I have been having trouble setting up the O2 sensors that I’m temp installing to check/verify my carb adjustments, but I will work it out. As far as pictures of the truck no new ones at this time but with the weather change there should be some coming soon.

There have been some other things that I’ve been doing for over a month, like upgrading my computer system from an older XP operating system to a new computer with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). Not exactly the picture you wanted but hears one of my indoors work area with my new computer (smile). For those with a computer tech interest it’s a Dell T5500 work station with Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor 2.26 GHz, 12GB DDR3 Memory, 2GB Nvidia Quadro 4000 dual monitor video card, and two 24 inch Dell U2412M monitors. Definitely a task for me seeing what old programs will work and what new ones that I need as well as figuring out the new filing system.

Enjoy your build
Regardless what it is (smile)

Name:  New-Computer.jpg
Views: 5523
Size:  95.4 KB
Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #752
elf w/capital T

great truck! thanks for the helpful posts from before!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #753
jhaymon

i have old exhaust gas analyzer thats been broken for 15 years so if you get the o2 sensor worked out let us know. ive been having issues with my program. i had a good program till they started with ethanol blends down here.
jhaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #754
Low Elco

Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #755
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.
Door seals always seem to be a problem for older cars and truck. Some people seem to have some good luck with the clip on style but I don’t like the way they fit around the upper front corner area, all the clip on ones that I’ve seen appear to be a universal fit style. I stay away from a universal weather stripping and prefer going with glue on with fitted corners, similar to the factory seals. One place you can find some is from Wes at Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts http://classicheartbeat.com/ , Wes knows the rubber products for are trucks and is a good resource.

Here are some tips that might help you install your seals. Getting the glue to stick the seal to the painted flange. With fresh paint a light sanding of the glue area with 120 grit sand paper will help. Cleaning both surfaces, the flange and the inside channel on the new seal (sometimes the new seal might have a light powder substance on it) I’ve used alcohol for cleaning and I’ve also used M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). With M.E.K. you have to be careful if you use too much it will strip the paint. When you think that you have both surfaces clean enough do one final cleaning just to make sure (smile). Any of the Weather strip Adhesive’s should work fine, what I’ve been using is Permatex (Black Super Weathstrip Adhesive) the black color doesn’t show up as the yellow color adhesive’s with the slight amount that might squeeze out from under the seal. One tool that has been helpful was some 7/8 plastic spring clamps from Harbor Freight Tools, I start in the forward upper corner and work at installing the seal one to two foot at a time using the clamps to hold the seal in place letting the adhesive time to set up. Don’t try to glue the ends of the seal together at the bottom aft area of the door, in fact a slight angle cut at the end of the seals helps in allowing the air to exit the bulb seal and any water to drain that might find its way inside the seal. Once all the seal is installed and looks good close the door and let it set up for a day. The first time closing the door might be hard to close, don’t be tempted to open and close the door a number of times, let everything dry and allow the seal to take on its shape to fit. On my doors they were somewhat hard to close for about a month but have become easer as time went on. One thing that might help in making the door close easer after everything is dry and all the painting is done (very important all painting inside and outside needs to be done) is a light coating of silicone lube on the seal especially on the forward area will help in letting the seal slide and fit to the door. The reason that all the painting needs to be done is that the smallest amount of silicone on any surface will prevent any paint from sticking and it’s not worth taking the chance.

Hope this helps you get an outstanding seal installation
Enjoy your build
Bruce
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #756
Low Elco

Thanks for the tips!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #757
gdavis

looks good keep trucking and send more pic. i f you can how about telling me how to upload pic. I am having a hard time.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #758
Russ.W.

This thread is fantastic.

I've seen entire forums with less useful content than this. Awesome effort mate - both with your truck and build thread.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #759
chill68

Thumbs up Re: It’s Just A Pickup

I'm in the market for a headliner with speakers. Tell me how that one works out!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #760
Jdhitch

Thanks for the driver/passenger door mirror placement schematic. Just drilled some holes and mounted them today. By the way your truck is awesome!
Jdhitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #761
Flu-by-U

Simply....

WOW...

To everything...

Thank you for the endless information to aid in my build...

Beautiful truck, too...

Check out my build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427503
Flu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #762
gdavis

I built a rotisserie for my frame and it works great. 2 6x6 pt and drilled holes ind mounted 2x4 to frame and it really works and makes my work a lot easier. From Fl. hi
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #763
gdavis

You make my welding look cheep. I am still on my frame but Rome wasn't built in one day. Love the way your frame looks From Fl.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #764
Olin

Very impressive. I really like your fuel door/brake light.

It was cool to see all the work that goes in to doing a proper rebuild of one of these trucks. I have a 69 sitting in a shed that my Dad left to me that I've been wanting to rebuild for a long time. We bought the truck when I was 3-4 years old, it was passed on to me after my Dad died when I was 16, and it's been sitting in that shed since 1999. One of these days I'll have the space, time and $$ to rebuild it, but to finish with anything like your truck I'm going to need a lot of help!
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #765
Seventy Two

Hi Bruce,
Just curious how the Nylatron worked out for your friction pads on your door hinges?

Your truck and the detail you have provided us is amazing.
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #766
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy Two View Post
Hi Bruce,
Just curious how the Nylatron worked out for your friction pads on your door hinges?

Your truck and the detail you have provided us is amazing.
The Nylatron sheet that I used in the hinges for friction pads didn’t perform as good as I wanted them to. If I had to give them a grade it would be a (C), they work fair but not the same as what came from the factory. I think the Nylatron might be a little too hard with less frictional properties than needed. As you open the door that friction pads should give you a feel that the door will stay in an opening position that you put it, this material doesn’t give this feel it’s to smooth/not enough friction to hold the door in the position that you open it to. My hinges are working very smooth with very little resistance and could get away from you easily causing the door to open further than you want it to. As I said in (post #120) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5 this choice of material was a guess on my part, so the search is still on to find a material that is closer to what the factory used (smile). Will this material work, yes but not as good as something closer to what the factory used. I hope someone will find out what that material is and will post it for all to know and use and where to get it from.

Thanks for the question, I’ve been meaning to post some fallow up on some of the choice’s that I made and how they worked out. This one is fair but could have been better (smile)

Enjoy your build
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #767
Seventy Two

Thanks for the response. If I manage to find a suitable friction pad material, I will pass it along. Thanks again.
Seventy Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #768
Broncoviejo

Awesome Job! Nice Truck.
Broncoviejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #769
Justonegear

Just went through your build thread...... Wow, hats off to you Bruce. It is a sacrifice and great service to take the many hours of time to detail your work. It's one thing to do it... it's another matter to share it! Thanks for sharing with me... with us. My guess is you learned to teach and share long before the 72 showed up on the trailer.

Thanks again.
Justonegear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #770
67ctener

Hello neighbor, Truck turned out great
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #771
Desert.Chevy

31 pages later and I have to say great Build, and Awesome Truck! Nice computer setup too.
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #772
2Cav

What an amazing build Bruce! Absolutely inspirational! Thank you for all your posts and attention to detail, I have no doubt this will help me a great deal as I begin my journey.

Jeff
2Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #773
rhd_c10

great build.. great detail..

1964 CHEVROLET BISCAYNE 350CI/TH-350
1968 CHEVROLET C-10 SWB LS1/4L60E
rhd_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #774
Low Elco

Are you still there, Bruce? Hope the truck is treating you well, I have a couple questions? On P. 13, you ran a vent line to the front of the truck from the tank. What did that go to? Having gas smell problems in the garage. Thanks in Advance, Chip
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #775
Bruce88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Are you still there, Bruce? Hope the truck is treating you well, I have a couple questions? On P. 13, you ran a vent line to the front of the truck from the tank. What did that go to? Having gas smell problems in the garage. Thanks in Advance, Chip
Hi Chip
The vent line I ran to the engine compartment from the gas tank went to the vapor canister (I call it a charcoal canister), this is part of the evaporative emissions control system (EEC). You didn’t say what year truck you had and this could be the reason you have a gas smell problem in your garage.

First it needs to be said that all gas tanks need to be vented in some manor, important to say again all gas tanks need to be vented in some manner. If it’s not vented you will not be able to get the gas out of the gas tank to feed the engine without collapsing the fuel tank from the vacuum that would be created from drawing the gas out of the tank (very unlikely to create enough vacuum to collapse the tank normally you just starve the engine for fuel because it will not flow thru the line).

There are two different vent systems that can be found on the 1967 – 1972 trucks. The first one is found between 1967 – 1969, I would call this venting thru the gas cap. If this is the system you have the smell of gas in your garage could happen and there’s nothing you can do to prevent it. The smell of gas might not be as noticeable when the truck is parked outside but because the gas cap vents into the atmosphere and the vapors need to go somewhere it could be noticed outside also, but in a closed garage the vapors are more noticeable. Another problem that can be noticed with this vent system is when you have a full tank of gas and run over a bumpy road or going around a corner and the liquid gas gets up to the cap some gas could dribble out thru the vent hole and down the side of the truck. (Note changing a vented cap system to a none vented cap system without thinking about the whole vent system will not work, no you can’t just change the cap).

The other vent system (EEC) could be found on the 1971 – 1972 trucks (I can’t say all of them, it all depends on what state the truck was originally sold in and as always if the system was changed by someone back to vented cap system). Basically this system is not vented into the atmosphere thru the gas cap but the fumes and venting is thru the vapor canister. The canister collects any gas vapors and then when the engine is running any vapors that have been collected in the charcoal is drawn off and burned in the engine (you don’t have the smell of gas in the garage). You can change a (EEC) system to a vented cap system but you need to think about all the components of the system and where you block them off. You can’t change a vented cap system into a (EEC) without changing the gas tank and adding some components to make it a functional EEC system.

My truck is a 1972 that had an EEC system and I wanted to retain it even with the relocated blazer style gas tank and this is the reason I ran my vent line to the engine compartment.

My personal opinion is before making any changes to your fuel tank vent system you need to understand what all the various components do and make sure there all there and doing what their supposed to be doing to have a safe and functional system.

Hope you find this information useful and if you would like any additional information just ask.

Enjoy your build
Bruce