The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
82c10gcl

attaching lower door carpet panels

I just got lower door carpet panels (on card backing) for my 82 C10 and I'm looking at how to install them. Is standard application to use screws top and bottom? I hate to drill holes in the door if I don't have to. Would velcro strips top and bottom instead work? I don't want to glue them so I can't remove them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn
82c10gcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
trixter99
I have no time for this

Re: attaching lower door carpet panels

Yes they were screwed onto the doors from the factory.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
82c10gcl

Thanks trixter99. Guess I'll go that route then.
Glenn
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
TKCR

They were screwed on, but if you want to use Velcro, that would work too. At one time I had a set of vinyl lower panels. Of course I used Velcro, I didn’t want to run screws into the vinyl.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
bigschuss

Velcro or maybe 3M double sided automotive tape.
bigschuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you go the screw route i found it best to use the ones with that decorative washer to hold em batter

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
82c10gcl

Thanks all for the comments. I went with the velcro and it worked pretty well. The panel sits away from the door the thickness of the velcro strip, which could be a dust catcher so the screws may have been a better route to go but my truck is mostly a weekend coffee getter/time machine so it shouldn't be an issue in this case. I'm debating whether to add the chrome strip at the top of the carpet. USA1 has them available so I'll probably do it.

Thanks agin.
Glenn
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
calvin78612

Used really strong magnets from hobby lobby and epoxy. Works well.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin78612 View Post
Used really strong magnets from hobby lobby and epoxy. Works well.
Now that's a good idea!!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
82c10gcl

great idea calvin78612. That why I should wait for everyone to weigh in before proceeding

my next question is regarding the carpet for the kick panels that I got with the door panels. There are two sets with different shapes, and I thought one of the sets would fit directly onto the metal kick, but neither one does so I'm not sure if have the wrong idea on it. My kicks have half height ABS panels on them and I see you can get full height ones to replace them. Will I have to install the full height ones and then put the carpet in the recess in it or is there a way I should be doing it to get these to fit directly? I thought I maybe saw a reference to a two piece kick panel, so I'm wondering if there is a piece available that fits below mine (so I don't need to deal with the its) and accepts the carpet pieces. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10gcl View Post
great idea calvin78612. That why I should wait for everyone to weigh in before proceeding

my next question is regarding the carpet for the kick panels that I got with the door panels. There are two sets with different shapes, and I thought one of the sets would fit directly onto the metal kick, but neither one does so I'm not sure if have the wrong idea on it. My kicks have half height ABS panels on them and I see you can get full height ones to replace them. Will I have to install the full height ones and then put the carpet in the recess in it or is there a way I should be doing it to get these to fit directly? I thought I maybe saw a reference to a two piece kick panel, so I'm wondering if there is a piece available that fits below mine (so I don't need to deal with the its) and accepts the carpet pieces. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The carpet for the kick panels actually go on the full kick panel pieces. I'm not sure there is anything else, like for what you have. At least I haven't seen any myself.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
Big Chip

You could look for the trim piece that came on the lowers to try to eliminate the dust catcher situation.
Attached Images

Big Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #13
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chip View Post
You could look for the trim piece that came on the lowers to try to eliminate the dust catcher situation.
That’s true. And I have a couple of sets of those trim pieces. One new and then a set of used.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
82c10gcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That’s true. And I have a couple of sets of those trim pieces. One new and then a set of used.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. I do have a set of the trim pieces on my todo list but I ordered the full kick panels and i’m planning on ordering a new dashpad soon so they will have to wait for now.
I need a dye for my kick panels (they are coming in black). Anyone know the best bet for a product, color (it’s a 1982 blue Scottsdale interior) and supplier?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #15
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. I do have a set of the trim pieces on my todo list but I ordered the full kick panels and i’m planning on ordering a new dashpad soon so they will have to wait for now.
I need a dye for my kick panels (they are coming in black). Anyone know the best bet for a product, color (it’s a 1982 blue Scottsdale interior) and supplier?
Posted via Mobile Device
I dye a lot of interior parts for our trucks. USA1 Industries is who I use. They have every one of our colors and they match.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
calvin78612

Would the new “black” panels benefit from being shot with primer first, or just shoot with the color ?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #17
TKCR

Quote:
Would the new “black” panels benefit from being shot with primer first, or just shoot with the color ?
Definitely need to throughly clean and then use SEM plastic prep, and the SEM Adhesive Promoter. The Adhesive Promoter is a wet on application. While it’s still wet, you lay a thin coat of color on and let that flash. Then you can start laying more thin coats of color. No need for primer. I’ve done several of the new parts that were black. And also changed colors. The one set I did for someone, he wanted CarmineRed red, but his parts were blue.
And that Saddle trim set. 2 of those pillar trims were new black pieces. The only way you can tell is from the underside of the trim, you can see the black.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #18
82c10gcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Definitely need to throughly clean and then use SEM plastic prep, and the SEM Adhesive Promoter. The Adhesive Promoter is a wet on application. While it’s still wet, you lay a thin coat of color on and let that flash. Then you can start laying more thin coats of color. No need for primer. I’ve done several of the new parts that were black. And also changed colors. The one set I did for someone, he wanted CarmineRed red, but his parts were blue.
And that Saddle trim set. 2 of those pillar trims were new black pieces. The only way you can tell is from the underside of the trim, you can see the black.
Thanks for the tips TKCR. The pieces you did look great. Do you know what year blue that is in your first shot? I was thinking of changing my dash and plastic surfaces to a lighter blue than the 82 and got samples fromUSA1 of their different blues. It’s tough to tell from the small samples how it will look though. I was leaning towards slate blue but the color in your photo looks like it will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #19
82c10gcl

Quote:
Good point. Thanks for the heads up.
Glenn
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #20
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks for the tips TKCR. The pieces you did look great. Do you know what year blue that is in your first shot? I was thinking of changing my dash and plastic surfaces to a lighter blue than the 82 and got samples fromUSA1 of their different blues. It’s tough to tell from the small samples how it will look though. I was leaning towards slate blue but the color in your photo looks like it will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
The first post with the blues, those are al 81-87 Blue. The trim in the next set of photos, that I changed the color to CarmineRed, that’s the 79 blue. Actually the 77-79 is all the same shade of blue, like this. It is lighter than the 81-87 blue.
The Slate Blue is the 73-74, are the last 2 pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
82c10gcl

took a while to respond to youTKCR but thanks for the info. I think the color in the photo below that you posted is what I'm after but I'm not clear on which year it is. If you can let me know, I'll get a can of the spray from USA1 and try it on my kick panels to see and, if it looks good, I'll get the dash from them finished in the same color. I'm trying to match the outside of the truck better than the 82 Blue but stay with a standard C10 color. This seems to be the best option.

Out of curiosity, do you refinish and sell the trim pieces for around the windows to hold up the headliner? I want to put a set in my truck but I hear the reproduction pieces you get from the suppliers are pretty flimsy so I'm looking at a refurbished set of originals instead.

Glenn
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #22
TKCR

Quote:
took a while to respond to youTKCR but thanks for the info. I think the color in the photo below that you posted is what I'm after but I'm not clear on which year it is. If you can let me know, I'll get a can of the spray from USA1 and try it on my kick panels to see and, if it looks good, I'll get the dash from them finished in the same color. I'm trying to match the outside of the truck better than the 82 Blue but stay with a standard C10 color. This seems to be the best option.

Out of curiosity, do you refinish and sell the trim pieces for around the windows to hold up the headliner? I want to put a set in my truck but I hear the reproduction pieces you get from the suppliers are pretty flimsy so I'm looking at a refurbished set of originals instead.

Glenn
Those are 77-79 Blue, they will not match your blue if you have an 82. The blue you need to get, to match the rest of your interior, is the 81-87 Blue.
I would just get the trim pieces you need from USA1 Industries, and have them dye them. Those parts are not flimsy. I’ve used them, and they are made just as well as the originals.
I’m actually in the process of making color samples out of some extra trim pieces I have. That way people can see the difference in the shades of colors. So far, I have only got the Reds done. I didn’t have any 75-76 Red, but I did alll the others, from 77-87. I just did this today. So I’ll have to do more. One for all the shades of Blues, and Tans.
Here’s the one I did today for the reds.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #23
82c10gcl

Thanks TKCR. Good to know the USA1 trim pieces are good quality. Everything I see and hear about their product seems to be good and that's why I'm probably going to get their dash. I like the idea of the metal substructure. The only downside is the shipping is a killer (on top of exchange and duty and taxes). Wish they had a local distributor instead but I guess that's how they keep control of their sales and customer service.

My intent is to lighten up the colour of the interior of the truck. I don't like the 82 Blue interior. I put in buckets and a console that were done in an off-white vinyl but they contrast too much with the dark blue so when I replace the dash I want to go to a lighter color for it, match that colour on the door panels and kicks, and put in door inserts and a headliner (and trim) in the off-white vinyl. Since I'm putting the new kicks in soon, I thought I'd try the color on them to make sure it looks good before ordering the dash.

Once you have your sample trim piece done with the different blues, I' be very interested in seeing it.

Thanks again for the tips on applying the dye.

Glenn
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #24
TKCR

Quote:
Thanks TKCR. Good to know the USA1 trim pieces are good quality. Everything I see and hear about their product seems to be good and that's why I'm probably going to get their dash. I like the idea of the metal substructure. The only downside is the shipping is a killer (on top of exchange and duty and taxes). Wish they had a local distributor instead but I guess that's how they keep control of their sales and customer service.

My intent is to lighten up the colour of the interior of the truck. I don't like the 82 Blue interior. I put in buckets and a console that were done in an off-white vinyl but they contrast too much with the dark blue so when I replace the dash I want to go to a lighter color for it, match that colour on the door panels and kicks, and put in door inserts and a headliner (and trim) in the off-white vinyl. Since I'm putting the new kicks in soon, I thought I'd try the color on them to make sure it looks good before ordering the dash.

Once you have your sample trim piece done with the different blues, I' be very interested in seeing it.

Thanks again for the tips on applying the dye.

Glenn
Well call them about the shipping. I know the computer automated shipping calculator for Canada is way off. If you call, they can give you the right amount for shipping.
I brought more pieces up to the house, from the shed. So I'll do the Blue tomorrow, and post it. That should give both of us a better idea on which blue would look best.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #25
82c10gcl

Thanks. Much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing the sample colors. They are all going to be the USA1 dyes are they?
Thanks also for the tip on the shipping. I’ll call and talk to them about it.

Glenn