The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2022, 03:14 AM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Agree or Disagree?

Agree or disagree?
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Agree or Disagree?

dis- Agree they are both old trucks
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
gsinon

I disagree. The bottom one os still an old truck, just a far more refined one.
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
57FleetsideC4

Agree. They are both old trucks. Steve
Old 01-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Hcb3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 View Post
Agree. They are both old trucks. Steve
yep one just has had more work done. Sort of like some women I know.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
daveshilling

Both old truck designs, but the bottom one could be 100% brand new sheet metal...I'd take the top truck!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
mr48chev

Bored and stirring the pot a bit today?

The fixed up one still qualifies as an old truck even though there is little about it that is actually old.

Truth be know if you were to run over to Terrebonne and pick up and AD or TF chassis from Rydman Ranch then run down to Lake Havasu and pick a new cab and other sheetmetal and pieces from Premier street rods and haul it all back home, order a new LS engine and matching trans from one of the Chevy performance dealers and put it all together with a powder coated chassis and new paint and upholstery it is still and old truck when you roll into the first event you take it to even though there are few if any old pieces on it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
nvrdone

to me they are both old trucks. But the top one is like fine wine or a great woman - aged to perfection.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 AM   #9
MiraclePieCo

There is a philosophical debate called "The Ship of Theseus Conundrum" that ponders the point of how many components of a ship can be replaced and still have it actually be the original ship. To me, the bottom truck, by being totally rebuilt, has sacrificed all claim to any appearance, feel, smell, or (most importantly) CHARACTER of a true old truck. Sorry gentlemen, but you can't have your cake and eat it too; the bottom truck is closer to a Lexus than to a TF Chevy. It is no longer an "old truck."
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-17-2022 at 01:19 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
Donaldo

Our cellls are replaced continually, are we not the same persons with our original birth date ? Still an nice old truck, made modern.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #11
gottattooz

So what's your extent of the definition of new? If it's got stock running gear and drive train, but someone replaced those dump truck leaf springs with air bags, is it no longer an old truck? If you replace the drive train with something newer, but keep the drum brakes, what then?

Personally, I love the old body styles, but I like to update the brakes and suspension for the way I drive. If I can get more horsepower and better mileage with a newer engine and transmission, I'm gonna do it. I really don't care too much about shiny paint jobs. If you pull it out of the woods or a farmer's field and make it mechanically sound and drive it as is, I'll love it. If you want to cut out the floor and set it on a late model floor pan (like I'm doing) and enjoy the safety features and creature comforts of a new truck with the old school appeal, then do that.

This makes me wonder if there's a forum for people who refurbish old appliances, and they still use old iceboxes and belt driven clothes washing machines. I wonder if they bicker back and forth about using new or upgraded parts to keep their machines running.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 PM   #12
1project2many

Both of those old trucks are beautiful. One looks like it could be a new old truck but the other is definitely an old old truck.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:37 AM   #13
mr48chev

Guess I had better never let MP. See my truck in person then. The only original part left from the day I. Ought it is the left front fender the of two parts left from when I dro e it to the 1973 NSRA street rod Nationals in Tulsa ate the left front and one rear fender. I have the other rear fender but it needs a Crack repaired.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:06 AM   #14
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Guess I had better never let MP. See my truck in person then. The only original part left from the day I. Ought it is the left front fender the of two parts left from when I dro e it to the 1973 NSRA street rod Nationals in Tulsa ate the left front and one rear fender. I have the other rear fender but it needs a Crack repaired.
Like Thesueus' ship, there is no right or wrong answer here. I'm not saying one is better than the other, nor am I criticizing highly modified or restored trucks. I'm just saying that if you take away the things that make it an old truck (other than an arbitrary number on the title) and replace it with all new stuff, you forfeit the right to call it an old truck. Old trucks ride rough, old trucks smell, old trucks lack safety equipment, etc. And therein is their charm.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
1project2many

Quote:
Like Thesueus' ship, there is no right or wrong answer here.
The question of Theseus' ship discussion is not really about the ship. It's about how humans attach meaning to names. I think it's awesome that Great Grandad's axe has had two heads and three handles. It speaks to how myths work in the human mind and how we have the ability to create concepts that are greater than the objects they describe. And I'll be comfortable with this up to the day that Great Grandad himself is made of more newly manufactured parts than original ones.

For me the styling of prior generation vehicles will never be repeated in mass production. Identifying a truck as an "old truck" recognizes that the visual design and overall appearance of the truck represents a time and a way of thinking about the world and the future that are long gone. I've seen new old trucks, copies of old trucks, clones of old trucks, reinterpretations of old trucks, and re-imaginations of old trucks. In all cases the "new" object has to draw on appreciation and sentimentality for a style that was, not is.

Now if you want to talk "Original" trucks, the bottom vehicle is not even close.

Last edited by 1project2many; 01-18-2022 at 10:50 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #16
mick53

The only piece on my entire 292 that GM made is the bare block and it's been heavily altered. Also nothing in the drivetrain, axles and brakes from the lug nuts to the flywheel are GM. I still call it a Chevy. Maybe I should call it a McChevy. It' all American made.

Last edited by mick53; 01-19-2022 at 09:40 PM.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:39 AM   #17
fauXGT

Both started as old original rust buckets, but one is still rusty and aged and the other is heavily modified and looks very different and new from stock. The only difference is which one you would personally choose. Nothing wrong with either one.
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:52 AM   #18
dennislbrooks

To me my wife's answer to the original question from MP works best for me....

"OK"

8-)

Now my answer is I want it to look like the first truck and ride like the second.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #19
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
to me they are both old trucks. But the top one is like fine wine or a great woman - aged to perfection.
Agree they are both old trucks, ones just had a facelift. But, I don't think my wife would appreciate me saying she's "Aged to Perfection"
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:51 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Both old.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #21
MARTINSR

Both are old, if the bottom one is largely original parts. But without knowing that, it doesn't matter it's old.
To me it's a big gray area with the reproduction parts, I mean, come on, if the whole cab is replaced it's not "old" but it still "represents" old so it's cool with me. I want to keep as much original stuff as possible on mine. What is left, what is from the original truck my vin is from, the speedometer. No kidding, that is ALL that came with the truck new and I am not fully sure of that. It's a 48 version and the truck is 48, the cab I got it with in 1977 was a 52 or so, I have to assume the speedo came from the original truck that my brothers friend rolled before he put the 52ish cab on and I bought it.

The only thing that was what I bought are the front fenders! EVERY OTHER part has been replaced. But outside of the bed they are all original old stuff.

Like I said, it's a gray area really.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #22
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Agree or disagree?
Both old!
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:11 PM   #23
Nima
Blue 67

Both can be old to a person who has owned them for a while or, both can be new to a person who just bought them!
Age can be a relative thing on occasion if we want to be philosophical. The bottom one looks newer in comparison with the top one.
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote