The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #1
mytruck1949

Smile 12v to 6v reducer, 12v kit suggestions

Guys
Starting to think about converting my 49 3600 from 12v to 6v. I know this is alot of work but did read that the starter and generator can handle the change. Any thoughts on a kit. i am still running an inline 6 and won't change that out.

Now i am running a 6v pusher fan for my radiator and want to keep it due to things cost money and hey it did the job fine. So i want to put a reducer on the line but when i search i get all kinds of options for gauges, temp gauges etc. So cheep option.

all my gauges and lights are crapped out anyways so not to worried about saving them.

I did visit the local Autoparts store but hey if it isn't in the computer they just don't know.
mytruck1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
Hcb3200

Re: 12v to 6v reducer, 12v kit suggestions

Is everything a 12v system now and you where running a 6v fan and you want to convert everything else back down to 6v ?
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
mytruck1949

Ops my apologies. No the truck is full 6v today. The wiring isnt the best anymore so moving on.
mytruck1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:14 PM   #4
Hcb3200

Ok so going up to 12 and want to keep your 6v fan and maybe a gauge or two

Plenty of reducer types all over the internet. Some have a design and form factor that would fit nicely with truck age look and others will look modern.
Most are for automotive stuff you are doing. Other guys can post on makes models they like.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:40 AM   #5
leegreen

I suspect you will spend as much on a step down converter large enough to run the rad fan then getting a 12V rad fan will cost.

based on past experience with this years back here is what I remember:

6V starter will be Ok if it is good shape and your engine fires easy, it is going to try to spin faster so it works harder.

6V generator with a 12v regulator was never very satisfactory, it wont start charging until 1500-2000 RPM. But a 12v generator from a 235 six will bolt right up

6v horn, open them up and clean the points just like you would in a distributor. Put a relay in and rock them on 12V they are LOUD. Just don't lean on the horn for a long continuous blast.

heater fan needs a big ballast resistor or a replacement

replace all the lights

if you have turn signals you will need a 12v flasher

you said you need new gauges anyway, if the old were any good:
temp and oil will work, they are mechanical
fuel level needs a ballast resistor
disconnect the ammeter, ignore it and add a volt meter. Safer and more useful

switches and wires will be fine on 12v if they are in good shape, but I suspect your going to want to replace a lot of wire.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 01:55 AM   #6
mr48chev

Just because you replace the wiring doesn't mean that you also have to change the truck to 12 volt.

Seth Daulton and maybe a couple others make full replacement wiring kits for 6 volt. https://qualityclassicparts.com/prod...pr_seq=uniform

The only problem with using a "12 volt wiring kit" with six volts is that the wire diameter may be smaller than the 6 volt system needs. The smaller wire ends up having a little more resistance that the 6 volt battery wants to push electrons through.

The primary reasons for switching to 12 volts

Brighter lights
install AC or a sound system
12 Volt accessories that you want to add.

If none of those are a must have and you are happy with 6 volts so be it, don't let the local spit and whittle club tell what they think you need to do. Simply meaning that there a number of individuals and especially the Face Book self styled experts who love to tell someone that "Ya gotta do it this way" but have little or no experience.

That brings it to the question of do you actually feel that you need or want to change to a 12Volt system (yes) (no).

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-29-2023 at 02:28 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote