The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Setup the sandblaster today, and started on some of the smaller stuff. Nasty job, wish I had someplace close to take everything and have it done. Overall I had good results, but very messy, and expensive (Media).

Had blasting media everywhere, glad I decided to do it outside.

I also pressed the bushings out of all four springs.

After that I started on the spring bushing in frame.. It took some time.

But I got them out..

I also removed the engine and transmission crossmembers..

First thing in the morning, I will go to the tractor supply to pick up some more blasting media, and start blasting the frame.
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
Crash_OK

Today I started sandblasting the frame. Damn nasty job, I almost wish I had hired it done. The dust gets everywhere..
Rolled the frame outside and got started.

The engine stand made it easy to roll frame to get into tight spots.

As I was finishing up, it started raining..

All finished and back in the shop.

Depending on the weather, I hope to start the paint on the frame tomorrow..

Glad that is finished…
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #28
RCbowtie69

Looking good.Keep pictures coming & keep on truckin'
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #29
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 View Post
Looking good.Keep pictures coming & keep on truckin'

Thanks.. I had forgotten how much cleaning goes into repairing stuff... Hopefully I will finally get to a point where everything is clean….
Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #30
Crash_OK

It was too humid to paint with the POR15 today, so I decided to clean the frame up even more. First I removed some old brackets. Then I decided I would box the area where the LB to SB conversion was done. First step was to create some templates out of cardboard.

Then I transferred the temple shape to some 3/16” plate and cut them pieces out using my hand grinder and some cutoff wheels. It took about 25 minutes to cut pieces out and trim them to size.
After that I welded them into place.

After that I figured I should degrease the frame, I had handled it with grease gloves during the cleanup and boxing.

I also degreased and prepped the axles for paint.

Back to work tomorrow, but I hope to be back to the shop Thursday to finally start the paint on the frame.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #31
Crash_OK

Started on the frame paint today, two coats of POR 15 so far. Tomorrow I will put a coat of the POR Chassis Black on the frame.

I also painted the axles, springs, and some other items.

While I was waiting on the frame to dry, I put the backing plates, hub and rotors on the DANA 44.

Tomorrow I will top coat with the POR chassis black. And then continue the work on the DANA 44 and 12 bolt axles.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
caser

subscribed Great idea on the table, I am getting to old to do work on the garage floor. Plus if you spill your beer just go grab another.
caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #33
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by caser View Post
subscribed Great idea on the table, I am getting to old to do work on the garage floor. Plus if you spill your beer just go grab another.
The table has been great.. no way I could work off of the floor.. I am too old..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
Crash_OK

Started off the day with finishing up the DANA 44; mounted the calipers, and then installed the manual hub locks.

Then I installed the 12 bolt brakes and hubs.

When I tore down the transfer case it was full of ATF, so I pulled the bearing out of the transmission to transfer case and checked the seals. One of them was messed up

Then I cleaned up the steering sector.

All I am waiting on now is the front spring bushings and the rear lift blocks ( the old ones were rusted out, homemade at of 2” tubing) and U-bolts.

Tomorrow, I start the search for a 5.3L and 4L60e with all the stuff needed for the swap.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Crash_OK

Today I final got the axle and springs mounted to the frame. The truck had lift blocks on the rear axle. I believe they were home built out of 2” sq. tubing. They were rusting from the inside out, so I decided to install real lift bolts in their place.

After that I installed the front Spring Bushings and bolted the springs to the frame and then the axle to the springs.

[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/mneese_photo/1972%20K10%20Project/PC200525.jpg[/IMG

Feels good to have everything bolted back up.. Over $2000 invested in the frame; New ring and pinion, bearings, seals, ball joints, tie rods, paint, lift blocks, brakes, calipers, wheel cylinders, Hub, rotors, etc..

I started on the new brake lines. Hope to finish tomorrow.

I have a line on a 5.3L and 4l60e. 2005 with 80K for $1500. This will include Radiator, Computer, wiring harness, Gas Pedal, Transmission Lines, all accessories, head pipes past the O2 sensors, etc.. Not sure if this is a good deal or not.. I guess I should look around a little more…
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
HarrolLS1

Love this build... really like the work table you built. Give us a dimensions and materials
list if you have any free time. Keep up the good work, sounds like a good price for a 5.3/4l60 combo w/acc, radiator, and computer.

1968 SWB
1968 SWB 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 LWB
1970 Blazer
2002 Tahoe
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened
HarrolLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrolLS1 View Post
Love this build... really like the work table you built. Give us a dimensions and materials
list if you have any free time. Keep up the good work, sounds like a good price for a 5.3/4l60 combo w/acc, radiator, and computer.
I don't have a materials list.. but the top is 3/16 plate 3' x 4', I built the frame out of 1"x2" tubing (13 gauge I think). I wrapped the top of the table with 1" angle (to keep the fluids in). I could take some more pictures if you want me to. I could also develop a materials list after the 1st of the year.

Thanks..
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #38
ryanmctee

Great job. I'm currently building a 72 K10 as well. Going to be a daily driver. Haven't got into quite the depth as you, yours looks great!! Maybe we can compare notes as we have the same truck and are about at the same stage of the build.
ryanmctee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #39
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmctee View Post
Great job. I'm currently building a 72 K10 as well. Going to be a daily driver. Haven't got into quite the depth as you, yours looks great!! Maybe we can compare notes as we have the same truck and are about at the same stage of the build.
Sounds great... I think I am going to pull the tigger on a 5.3L and 4L60e tomorrow..
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #40
Crash_OK

Yesterday I sand blasted the engine cross member, transmission cross member, transfer case brackets, drive shafts, and the radiator support.

After that I worked some more on the brake lines. Mine were routed outside of the frame; however, I believe it should be routed inside.

After sandblasting the radiator support I found a few cracked places. Today I will weld those up and start painting with the POR15.

Waiting on some pictures of the 5.3L that I am thinking of using.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
67swb72klb

good job on the build sounds like a good deal on the 5.3 to me with the miles in all nice work u take a lot of detailed pics
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #42
caser

nice to watch, appreciate all the effort with all the pics. Thats what keeps me drawn in.
caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
HarrolLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
I don't have a materials list.. but the top is 3/16 plate 3' x 4', I built the frame out of 1"x2" tubing (13 gauge I think). I wrapped the top of the table with 1" angle (to keep the fluids in). I could take some more pictures if you want me to. I could also develop a materials list after the 1st of the year.

Thanks..
You Rock... Have a Merry Christmas!

1968 SWB
1968 SWB 4x4
1969 Suburban
1970 LWB
1970 Blazer
2002 Tahoe
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened
HarrolLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #44
Crash_OK

Started out yesterday repairing the cracks in the radiator support and then painting the cross members and radiator support with POR15.

The radiator support came out of a BB truck (402).

Now time for paint.

While I was waiting on the paint to dry, I went to Tulsa and picked this up..

I also got a lot of accessories for the swap.

Not sure what to do today.. Maybe a day of rest…
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #45
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Crash,
This is my kind of project for sure! I can't believe how far you have taken this project in such a short time frame. I love that table you made. I wish I had built one of those along time ago. It gets all your work right up to standing level instead of on the floor.
Diggin the OU golf cart in the background too

You definetely have a plan. I have done the LS conversion on my build too. In fact just finished getting it running. If you have any questions I would be happy to point you to the guys that have answers....I can help a little but I have a board of advisors on here that have helped me through the process. Hope to see your ride in person some day.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #46
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hey Crash,
This is my kind of project for sure! I can't believe how far you have taken this project in such a short time frame. I love that table you made. I wish I had built one of those along time ago. It gets all your work right up to standing level instead of on the floor.
Diggin the OU golf cart in the background too

You definetely have a plan. I have done the LS conversion on my build too. In fact just finished getting it running. If you have any questions I would be happy to point you to the guys that have answers....I can help a little but I have a board of advisors on here that have helped me through the process. Hope to see your ride in person some day.

Thanks.. I am afraid the progress is about to slow down some. I bought this a project to work on over the winter months.. But for some reason I want to finish it as quick as I can. It will slow down a great deal when I start on the body work.

The table has been a blessing; I am too old to work off of the floor anymore.

I am sure I will be asking for help on the LS swap. I ordered some parts from advanced adapters last night to help me get the 4L60 tied to the NP205. I have been researching converting the wiring harness to stand alone this morning.

What did you do about the cooling system? Did you use the original radiator?

I live in Edmond, but my shop is at our lake place on Eufaula Lake. After I get it finished we will get together and check out our trucks.

Have a great Christmas..
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #47
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Thanks.. I am afraid the progress is about to slow down some. I bought this a project to work on over the winter months.. But for some reason I want to finish it as quick as I can. It will slow down a great deal when I start on the body work.

The table has been a blessing; I am too old to work off of the floor anymore.

I am sure I will be asking for help on the LS swap. I ordered some parts from advanced adapters last night to help me get the 4L60 tied to the NP205. I have been researching converting the wiring harness to stand alone this morning.

What did you do about the cooling system? Did you use the original radiator?

I live in Edmond, but my shop is at our lake place on Eufaula Lake. After I get it finished we will get together and check out our trucks.

Have a great Christmas..
On the cooling system, I'm using a stock style 4 core radiator. I am gonna run twin electric fans and just build my own shroud to mount them. I have bought the fans yet. You can see the radiator on my build towards the last page. That's cool you can got to the lake place to work on your build. Looking forward to updates. Yep, we need to schedule some bbq meets this year. Hope to be driving mine by summer next year.....ambitious goal as slow as I have gone. Happy holidays!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #48
Crash_OK

Yesterday I installed the cross members and finished up some painting.

Today I started cleaning up the 5.3L. It really wasn’t that dirty, but I want to put some paint on the block. I also removed the exhaust manifolds, wiring, and all the accessories.

Applied another coat of paint on the drivesafts.

IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/mneese_photo/1972%20K10%20Project/PC240671.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a picture of a couple of Christmas presents from my family..
Welding cart and a magnetic bowl to hold bolts and small parts…

I started thinking about fuel system needs, and I have a question. The part I have pictured below has a line that runs from it to towards the rear of the truck alongside the fuel supply line.. I assumed it was the fuel return line, but after thinking about it, I don’t see how it could be since it comes of the top of the air manifold. So here is the first of many stupid questions.. What is it?

Thanks…. And I hope everyone is having a happy Christmas.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #49
Maxxd07

Sweet build, and fast progress!

Is the line an evap line?
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #50
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Sweet build, and fast progress!

Is the line an evap line?
Thanks... It might be the evap line.. I need to research it a little more..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build