The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
adamd913

1971 4x4 Blazer CST

Ive been searching for 1st gen blazer for many years now. My dad had a 74 that was lifted with super swampers and as a kid I thought it was a monster truck. I loved that the top came completely off. He sold it when I was kid and I've missed it ever since.
Ive been searching for a first gen and finally found what I think is a decent one. So before I drive 600 miles to pick it up wanted to see what you guys think. I just want a rig that I can drive on Sundays with the occasional 100 mile trip to beach without breaking down.
Ive attached some video links the guy sent me. He is the original owner and the blazer is 95% percent original with the original 350 and rebuilt trans. I was shocked when I asked him if it had A/C and he answered "no, I didnt order that option". Its funny hearing that. Usually the ones I run across have a loong list of owners.
Excited to join the forum.

Is it a good find?
Whats a reasonable price?

http://youtu.be/Kcx76AoNQCk
http://youtu.be/wX5Tkx6jMC8
http://youtu.be/N71vtIq2oe0

Thanks for your help!
adamd913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Chulisohombre

Re: 1971 4x4 Blazer CST

Original owner with a pretty well taken care of truck. I'd say around 6-7 grand I'd be looking to Pay. Another 4-5 and it will be real nice.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
adamd913

I asked the guy to send me pictures of the worst rust spots on the truck. Here they are. Is it indicative of more underlying problems. The truck is from the New York region where they salt the roads alot. Could i just cut out the rust and patch it up? I have zero sheet metal experience.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Chulisohombre

Looks Like he cut out The rocker Boxes Completely. That is what supports the center of the body on These trucks. Outer rocker is rotted which means inner rocker is Most likely gone as well. Will need to replace all those panels. Floor looks pretty decent. Have him get the tailgate open and take a pic of the tailpan area and bottom of tailgate. Mine was rotted There as well. Also get a pic from the steering box area of the frame. Chevy and gmc trucks can crack the frame at that location a lot. First gens had stronger frames than later blazers but it is still a problem sometimes. The seats and interior looks complete except for the rear panels. They are I believe 600 bucks reproduction if you wanted to replace them at some point. Does he have a set price on this truck or is it a best offer kind of deal?
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Asphalt

I went and looked at that truck. It's in Harrisburg PA. The Torsion (rocker boxes) had been cut out when the floor was repaired years ago. It needs Torsion boxes, inner and outer rockers, inner rear fenders, doors and the top or the windshield is completely rotted out. Doors don't line up because the body looks to be sagging from the lack of torsion boxes. Double walled top had several coats of Rustoleum on it. I can go on but what's the point.

The upside is it's a true one owner truck with a great story. The seller was a gentleman, it was his hunting truck. Original engine, (swapped the heads in the late 70 which is a plus) original tranny and transfer case. Very original. (original inner fenders even) But very rough.

The downside is the bodyshop that did the floors should be shot for their work. Paint color isn't even close, they welded the rockers to the floors so there is no lip for the weatherstrip which doesn't matter since you would need to cut the floors out to install torsion boxes. Also they sprayed rocker schutz all over the floors.

This one would be a body off labor of love for someone who was much braver/crazier than me who wants an original appearance truck. OR you could cut out the rockers and weld in some rock sliders and have fun making a off road rig. But if you take the top off it as it sits you will never close the doors again unless you jack up a floor jack in the middle of the truck.

If you want a concours truck your money is better spend elsewhere.
Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
adamd913

Thanks Asphalt, it may be biting off more than I can chew. I guess I'll hold off until another one comes up.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Asphalt

I just want you to be prepared for what you will find. It's a long drive to come home with an empty trailer. I know...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
GMC-YA68

That info is worth a few beers in my opinion.....

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Chulisohombre

Knowing that now I'd say a couple grand is all its worth. What wa he asking for it? For just a off road fun truck you could put in a cage and rock sliders to keep the body stable. Any more than that and it would be a Asston of work toget it restored. Which means a lot of money. There is a guy on Lehigh valley pa craiglist selling one in decent shape for Five grand. Check it Out and see if It's Still on there.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Asphalt

See, that's the thing, he was asking $8K for it. And he advertised it as having had floors and rockers replaced, which it did but poorly, and 20 years ago. Also it was stated as "being an excellent candidate for restoration". This all made it sound much better than it actually showed.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Chulisohombre

Everything is a good canadate for restoration. Depends on time and skill and money to spend. At 8 grand I could find a great rub from out west with no rust and start From there. I bought mine in Cali for two grand with minimal rust but was Gutted. It ran and moved but not a lot Much else. I wish I would Have waited and found a better one for more cash that was more complete. But at 20 years old I didn't know any better and just wanted it so bad I grabbed the first one that came along at a good price.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Asphalt

When it comes to vintage cars the story is always the same, buy the best example you can afford. Because it will always cost more to bring a lesser car back to the same standard.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
adamd913

We ended up around $3500.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
briank

Any more pics?
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #15