The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
brandster

Getting Bonded Title - Texas

Bought a 67 C10 and it doesn't have a title, just a bill of sale, so going to have to go the bonded title route, which isn't a problem, just wasn't sure about a few things. On the TxDMV website, the steps in getting a vehicle titled, it says:
"The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered junked, nonrepairable, or otherwise ineligible for a title. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor."

The truck currently has no engine or transmission, I don't have an engine to put in it at the moment and would rather spend time getting the other things done on the truck before getting around to the engine. I could always find a cheap or even free engine block to stick in the truck to say it has a "motor", but would just an engine block cover the part that says "it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor".
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Getting Bonded Title - Texas

I think it would be fine if you can find a cheap core engine to put in there. It would not be considered "unrepairable" and it would be complete by their rules.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
RustyPile

I live in Texas and I have recently (all within the past 4 years) "titled" 2 vehicles using the Bonded Title route.. One had only an engine block, partial body with all glass missing, only 1 door and no fenders.. The other was missing all fenders and had a nonrunning engine that was missing most the important parts.. Neither vehicle had a transmission or interior parts.. If I understood the process, you'll have to have some semblance of an engine.. They won't accept a badly wrecked vehicle..

I had to trailer them 50 miles to a Texas Auto Theft Taskforce facility run by the Tyler Police Department.. Both vehicles had an existing VIN, so the task force didn't issue a new one..

There is quite a bit of paperwork involved and a bond from an insurance company has to be purchased... I have all the document form numbers and can walk you through the procedure.. The information would be a lengthy post, and quite boring for others to read.. So if you need my help, PM me....
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
landarts
landarts

If the truck is worth something to you and you don't mind doing a little paper work, there is a way to obtain a legal title. I did this one one of the truck I rebuilt and it worked perfect for my situation. Here are the steps I took to get a 100% legal title.
  • Go to the Vermont DMV website and find the page for Exempt Titles and download the form #VD-119 (Registration/Tax/Title Application)
  • Fill out the form, if you have any trouble or have question call the Vermont DMV they were very helpful
  • You will also need to go to the NADA website and lookup your truck to see what the blue book value is. They use the blue book value to determine the cost of the registration. They do not a care what you paid for it only the NADA value.
  • Once you have the form all filled out you mail it to the Vermont DMV and it usually takes about 10 working days and you will receive a new registration and plates from Vermont.
  • Once you have those in your possession you take the registration to your local DMV and state that you would like to register your vehicle here locally.
  • Your DMV will accept the registration and issue a new registration and title if applicable to your state laws.

So basically what is happening is you are applying for registration in the state of Vermont. The State of Vermont does not issue title to vehicles more than 15 years old. They do not care if you live there or will ever live there. I asked that question on a phone call to their DMV. The representative stated that they issue registration for people all over the U.S. that will never live there. As long the VIN checks out not to be stolen vehicle they will issue you a Vermont registration and a set of new plates. Since you have a legal registration from a state that does not issue titles over 15 years old vehicles, your state dmv will register your truck and if they issue titles for all vehicles then you will get a title also.

The process when I did this ran me about $800 and change by the time I went through the Vermont DMV and then through my state DMV. Where the big cost is that Vermont DMV charges 6% of the NADA value on the registration form. When I went into my DMV I stated that I have a truck registered in Vermont and would like to get it registered and titled in Idaho. About 10 minutes later I walked out with a new registration and title from my state.

This worked for me and hopefully this legal process might help someone else along the way.
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Davidf

There are several individuals that you can hire to do the entire bonded title process. They will not look at the truck or ask if it has an engine. Cost is minimal and makes the process easy. After 2 years you can convert to regular title.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
brandster

Thanks for all of the useful suggestions and comments. I think I will just find a cheap engine/engine block to stick in the truck and then have the Texas auto taskforce do their inspection/vin verification, and then hopefully from there continue on with the bonded title process.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
brandster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
There are several individuals that you can hire to do the entire bonded title process. They will not look at the truck or ask if it has an engine. Cost is minimal and makes the process easy. After 2 years you can convert to regular title.
David, from what I understand, the auto taskforce has to look at the vehicle if it has never been titled in Texas...but if you know otherwise, feel free to PM me more info. thanks.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
tristan

Does anyone know if Vermont has any requirements regarding vehicle configuration or completeness ala Texas? For example, would they issue a registration for a VIN plate that has no accompanying title?
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Does anyone know if Vermont has any requirements regarding vehicle configuration or completeness ala Texas? For example, would they issue a registration for a VIN plate that has no accompanying title?
No they do not. The only thing I provided was a hand written bill of sale and the vin number, along with the form filled out and a check. That is it. When I went to my DMV with the registration from Vermont my state required a vin inspection only to see that they were giving registration and title to the said VIN on the paper work.

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandster View Post
David, from what I understand, the auto taskforce has to look at the vehicle if it has never been titled in Texas...but if you know otherwise, feel free to PM me more info. thanks.
That was not my experience when I went the bonded title route 5 years ago for my 52 3100. But, like I said, I hired someone to do all paperwork..I think the cost was about $200

I vaguely remember using this company: https://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/. Read the F.A.Q.

Last edited by Davidf; 02-18-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #11
mr48chev

I'd think that if you weren't actually moving from Vermont a Vermont registration might raise a red flag with some states just as registrations from a couple of other non title states do in some states or paperwork from a couple of "made up" title outfits.

Simply meaning that I would rather spend the time and what money it might cost to jump through a few hoops to do it right and know that I had done it right than cheat and then get caught up with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd think that if you weren't actually moving from Vermont a Vermont registration might raise a red flag with some states just as registrations from a couple of other non title states do in some states or paperwork from a couple of "made up" title outfits.

Simply meaning that I would rather spend the time and what money it might cost to jump through a few hoops to do it right and know that I had done it right than cheat and then get caught up with.
Not sure I understand your statement. Please explain why a legally acquired registration would not be accepted. You can't make a state provide a title if their state does not issue titles for vehicles over 15 years old.

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 02-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #13
52napco

Thumbs up Re: Getting Bonded Title - Texas

I run a towing company in South Carolina and do a lot of Magistrate sales on vehicles that I tow in. Costs about $76 per car and clean title unless prior salvage.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote