The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
ChadW

Battery Relocation on a new build

Good afternoon...lengthy question...

Building a full custom 66..I just mocked up my Slosh Tubz and now realize that you can not use the stock battery location on the core support.... I have one battery that is mounted passenger side behind rear tire...that battery is for my air-ride and stereo. I bought a battery isolator kit to hook up so my alternator can charge both batteries, and the air-ride/stereo will not draw from my starting battery...I have a raised bed floor that opens and will be mounting my main starter battery under it, towards the front of the bed..I will be doing a complete rewire of the truck as well when it comes to that time with the American Autowire Classic update kit. So...My question is, what is the proper way to relocate my starter battery to the bed area, and make things easy for me as well when i go to do the new AAW harness...Do i run battery + to starter and Battery - to the engine block like they are now...how do I, or should I, get a + stud under the hood for other things that may need power? This is a good ol' SBC with HEI...any help appreciated greatly... Im a newbie to the electrical side
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
idreama300

Re: Battery Relocation on a new build

Did you ever find a solution, or complete this batter relocation? I'm looking at the same conundrum.
idreama300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Big Kev-O

You should run a positive wire from the battery to the starter and a negative wire to the block. The distance between your battery and starter has been increased so you will need to use a larger wire. Your starter can draw over 200 amps while cranking so I would use a minimum of 2 gauge wire. 1/0 gauge would be ideal. If you do not use a circuit breaker make sure your + wire is secure and protected.
I run one ground wire from the battery straight to the block and another from the battery to the closest frame rail.

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 12-01-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #4
LS short box

On my 68 LS swap I mounted the battery in front of the passenger side rear wheel. As said above a well secured 1/0 positive cable to the starter solenoid stud. Then as far as grounds I run a 1/0 to the engine block. Then 1/0 from engine to the frame rails on both sides. Then smaller gauge ground wires from the core support to the frame rails. May be a bit over kill but it works for me.
See pic of battery mount.
Attached Images

LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #5
Mbeef61

I have been looking into this myself and have seen starter relay solenoids that allow power only when starting so you don’t have a massive hot wire running the whole lengths of the car
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote