The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2023, 08:13 PM   #26
tim71

Re: Barrett Jackson 2022 1971 Blazer

I thought that BAT was bringing good results, but these numbers are crazy.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:35 PM   #27
jeffahart

It's the builders. It's only a few vehicles of this make and model that get the big money. At the auction there are several tents where you can look at the price of vehicles already sold. These are the stark reality tents of about what you would get for your vehicle.

No alcohol involved. I suppose there's an outlier or two. But for the most part these collectors are serious people with serious money. Neither drunk nor stupid. Nobody with a brain scoffs at $400k, but for some of these guys it doesn't come close to putting a dent in their wallet or collection budget. When they lay down the big bucks they want to know who what and how on the build.

The auction is fun, and the event has a good energy. I think it's kind of neat that the make and model vehicles we all enjoy are getting attention and bringing good bucks for quality builds. It makes me happy to see a good shop make some good return on their efforts.

My two cents, worth the price paid... a bit shy of $400k though!

j
Old 01-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #28
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
It's the builders. It's only a few vehicles of this make and model that get the big money. At the auction there are several tents where you can look at the price of vehicles already sold. These are the stark reality tents of about what you would get for your vehicle.

No alcohol involved. I suppose there's an outlier or two. But for the most part these collectors are serious people with serious money. Neither drunk nor stupid. Nobody with a brain scoffs at $400k, but for some of these guys it doesn't come close to putting a dent in their wallet or collection budget. When they lay down the big bucks they want to know who what and how on the build.

The auction is fun, and the event has a good energy. I think it's kind of neat that the make and model vehicles we all enjoy are getting attention and bringing good bucks for quality builds. It makes me happy to see a good shop make some good return on their efforts.

My two cents, worth the price paid... a bit shy of $400k though!

j
I went to Barret-Jackson in January 2020. Totally agree some of the professionally built ones were bringing big bucks , but some of the driver Blazers there were still bringing $50-60K and still needed a full restoration.

How long will this Blazer phase last? Who knows! A few years ago winged cars and Hemi cars were the ones in the spotlight, today, not so much so.
I go to SEMA every couple years, and in doing so I can see where the market is going in 3-4 years. That's why I sold my street rod in 2016 and built a Blazer because I didn't want to get stuck with the street rod and lose money on it. The street rod market is dead, especially the fiberglass billet queens. In fact, I only saw a few street rods at last year's SEMA, where in 2016 there were hundreds.
Trucks are hot right now, and those hanging on to theirs's hoping they will only go up in value are dreaming. I feel we hit the peak, so now would be the time to sell, IMHO.
What is the next craze? Who knows, but the electric community was in full force at SEMA with tons of vendors showcasing their new products. Is this what I want to see? No, but we may have no choice.
One thing I do believe is in the next few years there will be legislation either banning older fossil burning vehicles, or severely limiting what we can do with them. We may have no choice to convert older cars/trucks to electric if we still want to drive them on public roads. My 2 cents.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:03 PM   #29
72ironmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Anybody wanna share their thoughts on what the prices of these trucks might be like in 30-40 years when a majority of vehicles on the road are 100% electric and gas vehicles are no longer sold, and finding gas stations is actually kinda hard and risky(as far as quality)?

I understand a select few might have value, but not for the majority.
Example: All Hemi Cuda's will keep their value
...but the 9,000 1969 Z28's may not

What do you think?
I think you will see an "electric" resto-Mod Blazer/Jimmy !
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:18 PM   #30
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Any vehicle is only worth what someone will pay. That's how it's determined. Simple
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #31
parb

I was at barret Jackson, been every year for the past couple of years. I got a bidder credential and I've bid on a few items I thought was worth the money.
Note that buyers premium jacks the price up another 10%. That blazer was a $440k truck when it was all said and done. That builder had been good at building a brand around himself and get top dollar just on that.

Yet... I saw mediocre blazers and Jimmy's going for stupid money. A 72 just like mine but with no attention to details and just a nice paint job and modern engine; two tone Scottsdale pickup paint job which was well done, an ls engine and modern disc brakes combined with super ****ty interior from a sierra... Looks like crap yet fetched $160k. And I saw several of those.

A bunch of $60-80k trucks that needed renovation.

I'm constantly surprised at barret Jackson. The 1939 Mercedes 540k a-body conversion that went for $500k was definitely a steal. That should fetch significantly more than that and it had the documentation.
parb is offline   Reply With Quote