The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
v62go

switching from a 3 on the tree to a th350

I have a 69 long bed 6cyl 3 on the tree truck and im wanting to know what flex plate to use for the 6cyl to th350 swap(are the flex plates the same as smallblocks?) and any other info on the switch would be helpful also..thanks
v62go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: switching from a 3 on the tree to a th350

Quote:
Originally Posted by v62go View Post
I have a 69 long bed 6cyl 3 on the tree truck and im wanting to know what flex plate to use for the 6cyl to th350 swap(are the flex plates the same as smallblocks?) and any other info on the switch would be helpful also..thanks
Are you switching from V6 or I6? I know next to nothing about the V6; others on this board are experts on the V6s.

The following applies to I6s.

Flex plates are the same, but there are 2 sizes (not sure if they offered two sizes for the 3ott but just in case), 153 or 168 tooth starter ring gears. If you have a 153 it's a small one so for a stock configuration starter, the two big mounting bolts need to be straight across.

If it's 163 tooth, it's a big one so for a stock configuration starter, the two big mounting bolts need to be staggered.

You might get by with just a nose piece/mounting bolts off another starter to put on yours if someone has a used up or bad starter laying around right for your flexplate. Bolts are usually available in the "help" section of your local parts stores.

Don't believe stick shift starter nose will fit. I prefer the newer, smaller, gear reduction (mini) starters as they have become reasonable.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote