The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2022, 01:48 PM   #26
Robert Bergstrom

Re: Chrome drip rail

Here are my thoughts on the installation of the stainless rail gutter moulding. As above prep work is the key. I assume that when these were first offered for that one year the paint was thinner than what is used nowadays. This meant that the factory moulding could fit easier to the paints then used. Today they are thicker (at least my new paint is) and the drip rail chrome from Taiwan does not fit correctly unless the paint is sanded or scrapped off the rail. The fitment of the Taiwan rail is great EXCEPT for the radius near each door (photo attached). I tried to push and form it to the radius but could not match it before damage happened to the part. If you place the tab notch on where the rail curve break starts, then the rails will be too far apart in the front for the 7/8" clip to cover. I assume not all radiuses are the exact same on each truck so maybe the piece will fit correctly on them. The last item is when two rails are coming together there was some twisting so they would not lay flat on drip rail. I corrected this by twisting them but just be careful because if you twist or bend to much the piece will almost snap. Just take your time and do not press hard or you could damage the part.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2022, 02:25 PM   #27
geunther

Re: Chrome drip rail

Old but interesting thread. I just assumed they all had it, or it was part of the chrome windshield package. Mine has little clips at the bottom that were probably once more shiny. There could be a rosette underneath as there is one in the center top. I will add it to the list of dealer options the original owner went nuts on.
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote