The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
Looking Good !!!

Your catching up to me so I'll have to pickup the pace a bit..... "LOL"
I doubt I'll be catching up to you any time soon. The bed still needs bodywork and paint and I won't have the cab on till this week sometime. But, I am mostly sure of that because I just got word from my back surgeon that I will need a revision surgery on my back. Apparently, without knowing, I re-herniated my L4/L5 disc. The funny thing is I am not in any pain. So, I am going to get as much buttoned up as I can before surgery. I hope to get the Cab and Bed back on the frame with assembly of as much of the wiring, brakes, steering etc as i can before i go under the knife again. Once I have surgery it will be a good 2 months before i can really get back in the garage and start doing stuff.

Sucks, but whatareyagonnado?

I look forward to seeing your truck complete. Nice comments about your mother as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
cmabolt

Well another day of 2 steps forward and one step back. I was able to get the cab back on the frame for the first time in over a year. (2 steps forward)

The headers were hitting the floor of the cab. (1 step back) So with a deep sigh, after thinking I had gotten the doug thorly headers to fit, I had to remove them for good. I figured I would try the stock manifolds since I had them, but they will not fit either. So I am going to try the hooker ceramic manifolds or another mid-length header. I'll get it figured out eventually. Just bummed about dropping $600 on headers that won't work and i now have to try and sell and will no doubt take a big hit.

After installing the cab I can now see the mods that need to be made to the trans tunnel. So a little chopping and re-welding is in order. Not too bad really. Just need to relocate the trans shift hole a couple inches.

More to come.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
CUSTOM/10

Looking good !!! Good progress !!!!

Sorry to hear about your back, that does suck......

I haven't done much on mine lately, trying to get caught back up on other stuff that took a back seat to the truck for a while. I have the next 5 days off, headed up to the mountains for a few then back home for the weekend. Maybe I'll squeeze in some truck time !

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
rgunlock

Looks great with the cab back on. Should be on for good now, right? Must feel great! Sorry to hear about the back and header issues.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
swamp rat

Reading intently! Nice work!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
cmabolt

More progress.
Finished the bracket to locate the transfer case shifter a few inches back. Not my prettiest work, but it's solid.

First coat of lizard skin sound deadening is down. Looks pretty good, but It took a bit to get is to spray evenly.

I did a test spray and it was a little clumpy until I leaned out the nozzle.

This is the nozzle position I used for final coats that sprayed evenly. I ended up doing a light first coat, let it dry and then did a very heavy coat. 1 gallon did the cab floor, firewall and a small portion of the rear cab. If you want it thick 1 gallon will not do it. Tomorrow I will spray 2 coats of the ceramic insulation.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
cmabolt

So wrapped up lizard skin application yesterday. I ended up doing 2 coats of sound deadener and 2 coats of ceramic insulation. The texture ended up being dimpled and rough to the touch. Here is the finished cab

The color looks grey on the pics, but it is more like dark charcoal.

As some others have reported the ceramic insulation goes a lot further than the sound deadener. It also dries very fast. By the time I got the first coat sprayed I began spraying the second coat. The sound deadener was a different story. It took much longer than the manufacturer said for it to dry and even after letting the last heavy coat sit overnite it was damp in the morning. All in all though seemed to go on easy and turned out as described.

I then turned my attention to rust converting the underneath of the bed.

there was not a ton of rust but bed has been sitting for almost a year in bare metal. I used my paint gun as the corroseal is almost thick like paint. Went on perfect. Here is before and after.

today i will spray the corothane on the underneath of the bed and then raptor the entire underneath of bed. So far so good.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
swamp rat

Bummer on the headers, I was wondering why until i realized you have something other than the 350.. I have Doug Thorley and they don't come close to hitting the cab.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
cmabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Bummer on the headers, I was wondering why until i realized you have something other than the 350.. I have Doug Thorley and they don't come close to hitting the cab.
Hey Swamp rat! Your no stranger to problems either. Just part of building these things. Your gas tank filler neck work was very nice BTW. I moved the LS motor forward about 2 inches hoping that would solve most of my problems.
It did, but these headers that were never supposed to fit seemed like they might. So now plan b. I am sure one of the next two sets will fit and i can put this to bed. No big deal, just really liked those headers. i did manage to sell them and pay for my next pair though.

Chris
Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
CUSTOM/10

I had header issue also. Installed a set of polished SS headers, speed pro I believe, bolted right up but I realized they were going to hit the cab on the passenger side because they came back too far before dropping down. Bought a set of Headmen SS Elite headers for our trucks, and still needed to clearance the DS frame rail for 1 tube. I believe it was due to my 700r4 and moving the engine forward, but their in there now.

So I feel your pain !

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
Old 07-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
cmabolt

Quote:
I had header issue also. Installed a set of polished SS headers, speed pro I believe, bolted right up but I realized they were going to hit the cab on the passenger side because they came back too far before dropping down. Bought a set of Headmen SS Elite headers for our trucks, and still needed to clearance the DS frame rail for 1 tube. I believe it was due to my 700r4 and moving the engine forward, but their in there now.

So I feel your pain !

Gary
Nice to know i am not even close to being the only one having header issues. I contemplated making my own and just tacking them together. Then having someone tig them up. Would probably be much less expensive even having someone tig them. Next time I guess.
Have a great 4th
Old 07-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
CUSTOM/10

I'm thinking of doing that with the rest of my exhaust system, buying the fittings, tack them up and have someone weld them up for me ! I'll have to get a price having someone doing it all to compare it to.

My 72 SWB Build

Last edited by CUSTOM/10; 07-05-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabolt View Post
Hey Swamp rat! Your no stranger to problems either. Just part of building these things. Your gas tank filler neck work was very nice BTW. I moved the LS motor forward about 2 inches hoping that would solve most of my problems.
It did, but these headers that were never supposed to fit seemed like they might. So now plan b. I am sure one of the next two sets will fit and i can put this to bed. No big deal, just really liked those headers. i did manage to sell them and pay for my next pair though.

Chris
School of hard knocks!

Looking forward to seeing the hooker version..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
swamp rat

Wow, cant believe UPS lost the stuff.....

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
rgunlock

Sounds like you are making good headway on your wiring. Hope your order shows up by the weekend for you.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
cmabolt

Parts and more parts…
Well today UPS showed up with two huge boxes containing smalls and my entire interior.

I have been chipping away at wiring and did break down and drill 1 hole in the firewall. It's the stock location for the rear harness exit from the cab. Now I am having a hell of a time finding a good grommet for the firewall. It has a bit of filler in that area so it is thick and needs a thick grommet. The search goes on...
AC/heat is all hooked up, just need to wire under the hood. I bundled the wires for the front harness.

Under the dash is pretty much done. I tried really hard to tie all the wires and keep things clean.

This evening I started installing interior parts: Sun visors, headliner, rear cargo light and all those little rubber bumpers for the glove box and ashtray. I ordered some black interior parts and some brown, I am going to do a two tone interior. Just a few small things like brown elbow pads on black door panels, brown sun visors, brown seat belts on black seats and a brown stipe down the middle of the center console. I am also planning on doing wood accents, but am going to use form wood. It's real wood veneer with adhesive back for the glove box.
I also figured out the shifter bezel issue. I cut a little out of the trans shifter so it sits closer to the transfer case shifter and there's still room for both the boots.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
swamp rat

Per request, hope this helps. pic's are from front to back, the cable bolts via a clip to the top of the frame just to the outside of the speedo cable, then in the 3rd pic does not show the cable but they are laying on top of the frame right ahead of the T-case cross member, there is a bracket just behind the T-case cross member where the cable terminates, just ahead of that both cables are again bolted to the frame via a clip, the cable extends about 6-8" past the bracket in the last pic. so its all on the top of the frame.

The rear cable attaches to the front cable via a metal clip, that cable runs from the front cable and go's to both drums, i didn't take any pic's because my rear cable is removed. if needed i can take a couple pictures of the other two frame brackets that support the cable where it extends from the frame to the drums. OK, now i'm leaving for Goodguys.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-26-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
cmabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Per request, hope this helps. pic's are from front to back, the cable bolts via a clip to the top of the frame just to the outside of the speedo cable, then in the 3rd pic does not show the cable but they are laying on top of the frame right ahead of the T-case cross member, there is a bracket just behind the T-case cross member where the cable terminates, just ahead of that both cables are again bolted to the frame via a clip, the cable extends about 6-8" past the bracket in the last pic. so its all on the top of the frame.

The rear cable attaches to the front cable via a metal clip, that cable runs from the front cable and go's to both drums, i didn't take any pic's because my rear cable is removed. if needed i can take a couple pictures of the other two frame brackets that support the cable where it extends from the frame to the drums. OK, now i'm leaving for Goodguys.

Thanks soooo much. this is exactly what i needed. It will be installed today.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
swamp rat

I missed a pic. it shows the park cable as it go's back across the top of the frame, sorry its out of focus or it would show the cable going outside of the speedo cable..
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
swamp rat

Anything to help!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #21
cmabolt

UPDATE UPDATE!
The truck bed finally made the trip to the painter. It should be done when I return from being away. How nice will it be to not have to depend on anyone for anything from here on out. When paint is done it will go to line-x dealer for bed liner and then home for good. Whoooaaaaa!

I have finished wiring the cab, but still need to install new stereo and speakers then can move onto rear harness. I was really held up with grommets that fit the firewall nicely and the smalls in the cab. I also am incredibly busy with jobs so will probably not get anything done on the truck until mid september. This is a good problem to have.

More to come.

Chris
Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #22
CUSTOM/10

Awesome Chris !!!!

It will be nice to see it all one color and shinny new !!!

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
cmabolt

Quote:
Awesome Chris !!!!

It will be nice to see it all one color and shinny new !!!

Gary
Hey thanks Gary! I am stoked that the bed is underway. I just need to wire the rear harness and the bed is ready to go on. I am going to assemble the front sheet metal before I wire the front harness so I can use the inner fenders to attach and run wires, junctions etc.

I am actually enjoying wiring this thing. Nice to be able to organize and direct the wiring so that everything look clean. I haven't installed the ducting under the dash yet, but figure that will be the worst of the cab assembly.

Chris
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #24
CUSTOM/10

It's coming together now Chris !

Lately I've had very little time to spend on my truck, 6 cords of firewood to stack, 30 yards of loam to spread & sead, it never ends. I did get about 3 hrs on the truck yesterday, got the the brake lines plumbed into the master cylinder & P-valve. But when I look at all that's left to do it gets overwhelming !!! Cab is still totaly empty, not a wire in the truck, diff's to regear, brakes to finish.... Grrrrrrr.....

I want to be driving it !!!! "LOL"

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
DWilbur

after reading through the rest of your build I see the 309C.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote