The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #76
Cobra427sc

Re: Camaro front clip questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Is your subframe in 1 inch forward? My frame had the front cut off already, so I had no front axle to measure centerline. I put in my Camaro rear end and then measured forward and made the wheelbase 115.5. I may have gone a little too far. I mounted the cab and front fenders, but no weight yet. My core support bolt will hit the steering box.
Hey PDW HOTRODS! This is were it gets hard for me to explain...but I will try.
As the original rear axle is off centered to my eyes in the rear wheel well. I have a 4 link Triangulated rear suspension kit installed.

I wanted the rear end centered in the wheel well as best I could and with the 4 link I can move it up or back as you already know this. Being that said. Also I moved the front clip to center that also. So my wheel base is what I make it to be as for my visual setup and the way I want it to look.

I just called my welder and asked him and mine is 113 1/4 from center to center. We just put the rear box on last night to see how she looked and I like it the way it is. I don't have the front fenders with me as they are fiberglass and I'm going to change them out for metal ones.

This is were it gets confusing in my eyes, as I read so many builds in this area.
Everything depends on what you are using for your suspension and how you want your wheels to line up in the wheel wells. Some like them up and some like them back, I just wanted mine to be somewhat as centered as I could get them. That was my preference in how I wanted the truck to look.

But I will send a few pictures of the box just put on and lined up to the holes in the original frame.
There is no coil over shocks on just support bars there for now. No flooring installed or any of the cross sills bolted up. It was just to see how the 15" roller wheels looked in the wheel well with the box.
For me it looks just right.

I Imagine she will sit a little lower once all the front end and box weights are installed. All so I have one rotation cut off my front springs. Wasn't by choice as one of the springs I got was damaged or broken off, so I just made the equal.

So this will give you some idea of how it looks. Hope this info give you some help in your build.
Later Buddy and good Luck with your build.
Cobra427sc.
Attached Images

Cobra427sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #77
59stepside

Cobra427, those pics are going to help a lot of people out; thanks for posting them. I have read this thread a couple times and feel pretty good about tearing into my frame. I would have already but waiting on a friend to borrow me an engine hoist I got everything ready aside from waiting on my buddy ...

I can't use my current axle centerline because it's not stock. I decided after all of this that I'm going to put the clip in at 29 1/2" from leading edge cab mount to center of top shock mount. I want the tire to be centered or a little forward. I'm going to use that hole in the camaro frame for reference when measuring to cut. It's the hole in the subframe that when it's installed will be 1 1/4" forward of the cab mount leading edge.

Anyone please feel free to back me up on this!!!!!

This is for a 1959 four eyed beauty.
Attached Images

1959 Stepside build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=602386

Last edited by 59stepside; 12-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
59stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #78
59stepside

This is how she sits right now waiting for engine and trans to get pulled. This is one of those..." I will just take some sheet metal and engine trans out for this quick camaro clip."

"While it's this far apart I might as well just take the cab off since I pulled the bed to get it into the garage." Heck, now it's going to be a frame off rebuild and a whole lot longer than originally planned!!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #79
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59stepside View Post
This is how she sits right now waiting for engine and trans to get pulled. This is one of those..." I will just take some sheet metal and engine trans out for this quick camaro clip."

"While it's this far apart I might as well just take the cab off since I pulled the bed to get it into the garage." Heck, now it's going to be a frame off rebuild and a whole lot longer than originally planned!!
Yes! But look at it this way! Now the frame is bare and you can easily check for any problem areas and fix them now, also it's easier to rust proof and paint it.
It would be a real ***** to find some problems out later on in the building process.

I'm glad that the pictures will help you out that was the reason I posted them as I had a real hard time finding stuff that explained it and showed threw all the process. It drove me nuts!

So for me it was a matter of sharing and if it helps someone out then great it was worth the time and effort.

Later Buddy and enjoy your build!!
Cobra427sc.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #80
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Cobra427, those pics are going to help a lot of people out; thanks for posting them. I have read this thread a couple times and feel pretty good about tearing into my frame. I would have already but waiting on a friend to borrow me an engine hoist I got everything ready aside from waiting on my buddy ...

I can't use my current axle centerline because it's not stock. I decided after all of this that I'm going to put the clip in at 29 1/2" from leading edge cab mount to center of top shock mount. I want the tire to be centered or a little forward. I'm going to use that hole in the camaro frame for reference when measuring to cut. It's the hole in the subframe that when it's installed will be 1 1/4" forward of the cab mount leading edge.

Anyone please feel free to back me up on this!!!!!

This is for a 1959 four eyed beauty.
That part I'm not sure about as I had no shocks or springs in when I did mine just the upper and lower control arms and spindles. What we did is line up the spindles centered and took the center of the spindle and used a plum line down one side and over the upper control arm and marked a notch on the engine cross member. We did this to both sides, so then we would measure from the frame cab mounts to those notches, then added the amount we wanted for the wheels to be in position I wanted in the wheel well.

We tacked one side and measured it a few times to make sure we had it right. Once we felt it was right were we wanted it. We measured the other side and tack that in. Re-measured it again put the cab on and fender and checked it all again visually. After that we removed the cab again and welded it all up.

I hope this makes sense and if not anybody is welcome to jump in.
Later.
Cobra427sc.

Last edited by Cobra427sc; 12-02-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #81
Cobra427sc

Well I got my 56 truck mostly together so she can be stored for the winter.
I will get back to her next spring time, as I have no place to work on her threw the winter.
So this is how she looks and with the fenders on and nothing lined up.
I think they look pretty centered to me.
Well this is how I wanted them to look in the wheel wells.

So she's home now and I will jack her up tomorrow and take off the roller wheels and cover her up with a tarp for the winter.

Hope you like the pictures Guy's and Gal's!!
Thanks for checking them out.

Later.
Cobra427sc.

P.S How do you like how the wheels in the wheel well turned out???
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #82
59stepside

Thanks for those pics, that helps out! For some reason I thought yours was a 4-eyed beauty... I can't use the wheel centerline for exact measurements because of the diffrent fenders but it will get me close. This will be great for someone doing this on the same year/body style truck as yours.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #83
59stepside

Btw... Truck looks great with the Frontend on and everything. I like the stance you got going on there. Looks great.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #84
Cobra427sc

Quote:
Btw... Truck looks great with the Frontend on and everything. I like the stance you got going on there. Looks great.
Hey 59stepside! As long as the pictures help you out that is what counts!
Anything that gets anyone closer to completing there build is a bonus!

I know it's hard to find more detailed info on the net about this commonly used clip change and I was surprised myself that there wasn't more info out there!!
So I though my pictures would help someone out there that is looking.

Thanks for the kind works and Good luck with your build Buddy!!!
Who knows we may meet one day!
She's home now for the winter all jacked up on stands and tapped up for the winter sleep.
Later.
Cobra427sc.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #85
59stepside

I just wanted to come back to this thread to say thanks for all the help!! This thread is such a great resource. I was able to use everyone's advice, measurements, pictures, and help to work on my truck. I am currently fishing up the welds on the clip install and can honestly say I probably would have not done this swap if it wasn't for this forum and it's members. I have been keeping my build thread updated but wanted to stop and say thanks!!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #86
Cobra427sc

Quote:
I just wanted to come back to this thread to say thanks for all the help!! This thread is such a great resource. I was able to use everyone's advice, measurements, pictures, and help to work on my truck. I am currently fishing up the welds on the clip install and can honestly say I probably would have not done this swap if it wasn't for this forum and it's members. I have been keeping my build thread updated but wanted to stop and say thanks!!
Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words! Like all of us car & truck guys would say there is nothing wrong with to much information when it comes to some of the uncharted area's of the build.

For me it was also the front clip swap that was nerve racking when you have never done it before.
Glad to here all is going great with your build and keep up the great work, looks really good!!

Later Buddy.
Cobra427sc.