The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Angrywood

74 suburban Trac bar?

So the jackass i bought my 62 c10 from put in a 74 suburban rear end. Frame axle etc. Did the 74 burbs have trac bars or panhard bars? If not, does anyone know if i would need one on this set up? If so, anyone got a part number? Ive looked at a couple places (Brothers, POL, CPP) and didn’t see one for 74s…..

Second question just because im here….rear gear ratio if someone knows off hand….. he also lowered the ration because he carried a lot of weight around.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Angrywood; 12-17-2021 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #2
SilverMiner

Re: 74 suburban Trac bar?

I'm confused, so many others who might have replied to you question probably are as well. Was the entire frame under your 62 replaced with that of a 74 Suburban? Or just the rear portion around the rear axle?

Either way, none of the 73 to 91 square body rear axles used either a trac or a panhard bar from the factory to secure the rear axle. The only items locating the rear axle are the rear leaf springs (and the opposed shocks I suppose).

Is there a reason you want or need additional mountings? Some camper specials from the 73-91 era included a sway bar, but that's the only factory suspension options I am aware of.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:14 AM   #3
Angrywood

Glad I’m not the only one confused. From what I gather the frame was cut just past the cab and the 74 was welded on. Did not know any of this until I took the bed off to do some work and do a 3 inch drop. The old set up had a panhard bar on it. But it looks as if it was fabricated. So now that I’m putting the bed back on, I just wanted to know ahead of time if it’s needed. I took the leaf springs off so I’m just running coils and shocks. I’m assuming the axle is the suburban axle but no guarantee at this point. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I got going. Hopefully clear up confusion so I can get educated on how to tackle this. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2021, 01:38 AM   #4
roboticjunky

I'll take a stab at this.

So you have 1960-62 frame because of the x in the middle of the frame like the one in these 2 pics.

You have a 1963-1972 rear end because how the pan hard mounts on the rear like this pic.

I'm guessing the leaf springs you took off were overload springs, the ones found on coil spring trucks, like in this pic.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #5
Angrywood

I think your on to something roboticjunky….

Seems pretty accurate. Is the 63-72 frame the same for c10s as for the suburban? Just so i know when i shopping for more parts what model to look for so i dont have to try and figure it out after i get the part.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
roboticjunky

63-72 trucks didn't have the x frame, so you have a 60-62 truck frame or 60-62 suburban without the extensions (I think your truck looks like short bed, right?)

60-62 suburbans had the x frame, but to make them longer they had extensions riveted into the end of the frame. Without those extensions, the frame would be the same as a short bed truck.

This thread is where I got the info. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ht=truck+frame

Also if you look at those previous pics, where the x frame comes together with the side frame rails almost right above the coil springs, looks like someone added some extra metal to that spot on your frame.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 01:01 AM   #7
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
63-72 trucks didn't have the x frame, so you have a 60-62 truck frame or 60-62 suburban without the extensions (I think your truck looks like short bed, right?)

60-62 suburbans had the x frame, but to make them longer they had extensions riveted into the end of the frame. Without those extensions, the frame would be the same as a short bed truck.

This thread is where I got the info. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ht=truck+frame

Also if you look at those previous pics, where the x frame comes together with the side frame rails almost right above the coil springs, looks like someone added some extra metal to that spot on your frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2021, 01:02 AM   #8
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post

No it is a long bed. Not sure how that works into the equation with the extensions etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
LT7A

I'll admit I didn't read the posts too carefully about exactly what year everything is from, but absolutely if you have the coil spring suspension you will need a panhard bar to keep your rear axle located. Maybe you had already come to that conclusion but it's important that it gets taken care of before your first test drive.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:36 AM   #10
Angrywood

I got it done. I went with the 62 trac bar. The 63-72 trac bar would’ve been way too long. After i put the bed back on, the 62 bar fit right on thanks for the knowledge you passed on for me to complete this step of the project.