The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Frame swap

On FB market place where I always look for stuff. I found a 68/72 rolling frame for sale fairly cheap, and I am fairly interested in it for the truck arms.

How hard of swap is it to put a 73+ cab, and bed on the earlier frame?

I have access to a forklift if I want, and I am just looking for the needed excuse to buy a gantry if I wanted. Either way problem solved.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
71gmcC15

Re: Frame swap

You mean the rear trailering arms? Would be easier to just take then off the frame and figer out how to put then on yours
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I thought that too, but the frame is different to accommodate the spring pockets. Plus I was thinking the cab is different too, but it just maybe the frame to accept the heigh of the trailing arms crossmember.

Since I want a stock appearing truck I thought a frame swap would be easiest way to achieve that.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #4
smupser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
On FB market place where I always look for stuff. I found a 68/72 rolling frame for sale fairly cheap, and I am fairly interested in it for the truck arms.

How hard of swap is it to put a 73+ cab, and bed on the earlier frame?

I have access to a forklift if I want, and I am just looking for the needed excuse to buy a gantry if I wanted. Either way problem solved.
Why would you want to do such a thing? I understand the idea of the rear arms but that seems like way too much work relocating bed, cab, core support, ect. For just that

I’d see you half way on swapping an older truck to a newer frame with disc brakes and stuff
smupser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:34 AM   #5
Warrens69GMC

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=723539
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
I have seen that, and I like what he did. Right now I am not sure air bags are in this trucks future. If I slammed it, and wanted a cruiser. It would fit alot better with that concept.

My dream is to be able to rally cross this truck for fun. There are a few races I want to compete in for fun. So the truck arms seemed like a good idea for better wheel travel.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
Mattchu60

Besides the cab mounting points being different, I believe the 67-72 frame is bent differently where the box area is. I believe our 73-87 frame is bent up and back down where the rear axle area is, and the box supports match that. The 67-72 frame is more flat.

I did trailing arm swap on my 87' using CPP's kit (I'm not recommending that kit, its not well engineered in my opinion). It only works on a short box frame (not sure which you have, long or short). Probably be a better solution in the end, you'll end up having a lot of headaches trying to get the 73-87 body mounted to the 67-72 frame in my opinion.

I do like the truck arms on mine - easy to adjust ride height with either different springs or using different drop blocks. Ride is nice as well.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
SCOTI

Cab mounts are way different which will require welding fabrication/mods/time.
Core support mounts are different will require more fabrication mods/time..
Rails kick up differently.

All the time spent converting those items could be spent installing a 'universal' 4-bar kit that would yield similar travel & ride characteristics w/o reinventing the front half mounting arrangements.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Cab mounts are way different which will require welding fabrication/mods/time.
Core support mounts are different will require more fabrication mods/time..
Rails kick up differently.

All the time spent converting those items could be spent installing a 'universal' 4-bar kit that would yield similar travel & ride characteristics w/o reinventing the front half mounting arrangements.
Thanks, it looked like a cheap option to get the rear suspension I wanted. If I were to pull the trigger.

Maybe later I could get a full kit, and graft in spring pockets. Or something for airbags.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Thanks, it looked like a cheap option to get the rear suspension I wanted. If I were to pull the trigger.

Maybe later I could get a full kit, and graft in spring pockets. Or something for airbags.
The upper spring mounts for a T/A set-up would be on the outside of the Squarebody frame rail. No 'pocketing' required.

What (how much) was this "fairly cheap" frame selling for?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

Asking $800 for a roller.

It's been on long enough he would do $500 probably
Old 01-16-2022, 07:04 AM   #12
LT7A

I've been intrigued by this idea as well. If I had the fabrication and welding skills, I would think of buying that frame as a working model of what I wanted to build out of tube steel and brackets, etc. Have the earlier frame there for reference, but adapt the methodology and geometry to the squarebody frame. And then sell the earlier frame when I was done.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

I thought that too, but I am clogged of with parts. Plus 3 separate other projects that I need to push through.

If I had room, time, and a gantry. I would still love to Fab up the mounts to make it work.