The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
tylervalo

Weld or use adhesive?

So basicallyl the PO of my truck cut 2 small sun roofs in the top, he also managed to warp it pretty bad. I marked out where the warpage stopped and cut it out on this doner roof, would it be better to round the corners of the patch and flange and use adhesive or try to weld it? Neither me or my dad are expirenced welders, I'm thinking adhesive would be the best route. Anything thoughs or suggestions would be GREATLY appreicated!

tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: Weld or use adhesive?

Any welding on top of a square body roof, will pull flat spots into it. They are just too flat to have any strength. If the hole in the cut roof top, is whats left after you removed your donor patch, the seam will be too far from the edge to have any success welding it in. On the other hand, if you glue it on, you will most likely be able to see the seam, after it is painted and sits in the sun. The BEST option would be a full roof skin. It just depends on your final vision of the truck. Something super nice, or just a driver.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Dragun12

idk i've always have been one to weld it stronger that way and when it comes to a roof idd also want to weld it because idd want to make it leak proof, after a wile gules and stuff like that get hard and start cracking even a really good seam seal does . so thats the best i've got. i hope i helped
Dragun12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
tylervalo

The truck is lifted so you can't really see the top at all. I'm just wanting to have a nice DD type truck (it wouldn't be a DD though) with some A/T tires that will haul my kayaks and be some fun off road. Sounds like adhesive would be best, any tips?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Well, IMO you cut it at about the worst spots for welding. A welded joint on a curve or near a bend will resist warpage far more then a joint on a flat. Basically, if you weld that in you will have just a bigger area of warpage then before.

If it were me, Id glue it. Cut yourself 2in wide strips of metal to go around the perimeter. Now glue half of the strip to underside of the roof, use vise grips to hold in place and allow 24 hours for cure. This will create a backer for the roof patch to sit on.
Come back remove the clamps, grind away any adhesive that squeezed through.

Place the roof patch in place and trim it so you have about 1/16 gap all around. Now glue in place.

This is an excellent site for resources about adhesive bonding. You have to register to view the information. The PDF download you want is Sectioning Joints with Backer Panel , goes into much more detail then I care to type. I've used this same method for years with great success...Eric

http://www.lord.com/products-and-sol...procedures.xml

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
tylervalo

That deffinately sounds like the best idea. How would I fix the seam before paint, just bondo?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
hugger6933

This time of year you need to be careful on the panel bonding method because of the temps. I glued a skin on a Silverado about two winters ago and I had the shop fairly warm I thought, but it got pretty cold that night and next day I went to unclamp all of the clamps and I had some areas that did not bond. I have used the same product before and since but with different temps with great success. The metal will tear before the bond will break in most applications. I would suggest using the bonding method keeping in mind my warnings
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote