The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
conoco

Intank fuel pump set up for EFI

Anyone figure out a way to run an in-tank fuel pump for the sniper EFI? I don't see that they make a kit for the fuel tanks that are inside the cab. I was hoping with all the different customization people do in here someone might have figured this out. If so could you help me out on how you did it? I would much rather go in-tank than in-line. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: Intank fuel pump set up for EFI

Yes, several of us have installed in-tank fuel pumps in the original in-cab tanks.

Visit the LS Swaps forum and do a search. My installation works great, but is a bit noisy. What I did not do, but will be doing in the near future, is wrapping the tank in sound deadening material. I have a new tank on order due to unrelated tank issues.

I believe the pump I used was a GPA-2 pump from Tanks Inc. You will also need the gasket kit 3G-KIT and split ring 3TR again from Tanks Inc.

Cost including shipping will be about $255.00

Please note that I did an LS swap so the engine computer is controlling the fuel pump and will shut it off if the engine dies. Please ensure your installation has similar safety controls.

Assembled pump photo. I cut hole and welded split ring to tank (careful with this...I filled tank with water before welding). Hole is adjacent to level sender hole.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Davidf; 10-14-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added pump photo
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
geunther

I started looking into this a few months ago. I have not found a "kit" but looked at similar things as Davidf mentioned. I have settled on one of two ways to use the stock tank.

1. Utilize the Fitech or Edelbrock sump and factory engine mounted pump.
2. Use the Holley in tank pumps for 73-87s. The mounting flanges appear to be the same, but the shape / length of the tube will need to be changed. These are nice because they are internally regulated though I already have the 72 return line.

As mentioned, the in-cab noise is a consideration
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Yes, several of us have installed in-tank fuel pumps in the original in-cab tanks.

Visit the LS Swaps forum and do a search. My installation works great, but is a bit noisy. What I did not do, but will be doing in the near future, is wrapping the tank in sound deadening material. I have a new tank on order due to unrelated tank issues.

I believe the pump I used was a GPA-2 pump from Tanks Inc. You will also need the gasket kit 3G-KIT and split ring 3TR again from Tanks Inc.

Cost including shipping will be about $255.00

Please note that I did an LS swap so the engine computer is controlling the fuel pump and will shut it off if the engine dies. Please ensure your installation has similar safety controls.

Assembled pump photo. I cut hole and welded split ring to tank (careful with this...I filled tank with water before welding). Hole is adjacent to level sender hole.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thank you, luckily I just wrapped my fuel tank with sound deadening when I did the rest of the cab so hopefully I did it right I will try and mimic what you did. I have researched much on the efi install and seems like most problems are from people who do the inline pumps and they burn up..thanks again, I also purchased the hyperspark set up and can't wait to get everything running. Thanks again
Old 10-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
I started looking into this a few months ago. I have not found a "kit" but looked at similar things as Davidf mentioned. I have settled on one of two ways to use the stock tank.

1. Utilize the Fitech or Edelbrock sump and factory engine mounted pump.
2. Use the Holley in tank pumps for 73-87s. The mounting flanges appear to be the same, but the shape / length of the tube will need to be changed. These are nice because they are internally regulated though I already have the 72 return line.

As mentioned, the in-cab noise is a consideration
This could be a great idea. Do you know if the Edelbrock fuel sump is compatible with the sniper?
Old 10-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
geunther

They are compatible yes. It's a pretty compact sump system and looks easy to plumb and connect.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:26 AM   #7
camaney

I used one from a 1994 Toyota Camry that I had in original tank and the noise is not bad, I can listen to the radio just fine, my fuel tank is not lined
camaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Davidf

I just installed a new tank and improved on my in tank fuel pump installation. Originally, the pump pickup sock/filter was touching/resting on the bottom of the tank. For the new install, I raised up the pump to about 1/4" off the bottom of the tank. Hopefully this will eliminate sound transmission through vibration.

Secondly, I wrapped the new tank in 80mil butyl sound deadener. It takes a total of 19sf.

These two changes made the noise imperceptible. With the engine running, at idle, window up, you have to concentrate on isolating the pump noise to hear it. Now a non-issue.

Pump mount with split ring welded in place.
[IMG][/IMG]

Sound deadener and tank installed.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Davidf; 11-30-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
David, what do you suggest for shutting off a fuel pump when the engine is not running, car is on its side or top, etc?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
David, what do you suggest for shutting off a fuel pump when the engine is not running, car is on its side or top, etc?
For my installation, the engine (LS) computer takes care of that task. Otherwise, I like the electronic fuel pump controllers such as: https://www.revolutionelectronics.co...Fuel_Pump.html