The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
chewychevy67

Sway bars front and rear thicknes questions

I am building a stock height and leaf spring suspension 67 swb c10. It has a stock 7/8" front sway bar. I am contemplating a rear sway bar purchase.the rear bar is 1 1/16". Should the rear sway bar be thicker? Also will this really help the ride of my truck?
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:20 AM   #2
LongBox

Re: Sway bars front and rear thicknes questions

The rear sway bar wil tend to increase oversteer. This means that the rear end of the truck will tend to break away on corners sooner than if it did not have the sway bar. In general, front sway bars are usually thicker than those at the rear, but there are many variables in suspension design, so, as they say, your results may vary.

I am going only by memory, but it seems that the front bar on my 69 is bigger than 7/8ths, but I could be wrong there. My ruck is a coil rear, so that could be a factor as well.

But, the main question here is what are you trying to achieve here? You mention the ride, but the sway bar will have only a minimal effect on the ride of the truck. It will tend to keep the truck from leaning over in hard turns, which could make the ride more comfortable. It does this by tending to lift the inside rear wheel up, which is why the rear will tend to break away on hard turns.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #3
chewychevy67

Ok. I won't be towing anything bigger than a boat and I'm not looking to make a racer out of it. I am just asking what a rear bar is meant to improve. 67 had a smaller front bar than 68 up. I am building a cruiser. Not sure if it will benifit me at all but I like optional stuff like this around my shop just incase I need it someday.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
coreyjhen

A rear sway bar is meant to reduce understeer (what the NASCAR folks call "pushing") in corners by tying together the individual sides of the rear suspension. Generally, the rear bar should be slightly smaller than the front bar, typically by 1/8-1/4". Too large a rear sway bar will stiffen up the rear too much and result in a case of terminal oversteer, where you end up going backwards into the woods on a fast corner.
coreyjhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Eastonspeedworks

The sway bar won't offer any ride quality advantages. In fact it will add harshness to bumps that only one side hits it also won't add any towing capacity so unless you're tuning for the track that money could buy you something else for the truck
Eastonspeedworks is offline   Reply With Quote