The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Matt21lutz

My 83' C10 Build

Haven't started a thread for my truck yet (Couldn't figure out how to start a new thread)

Current Situation:
Need to rebuild the motor since the valve stem seals are leaking oil into the pistons, also it's the original motor so it has got some miles on it for sure. Need to change the transmission out from a 3 speed to an automatic, need to change out all that goes along with that. Slight metal work on a few place, worst being on the driver side floor and side kick panel, needs body work (more pics coming soon). Needs paint, wiring harness for the electric windows and locks on the doors, new windshield, new interior pretty much, new stereo and new steering box or rebuild.

Plans for the truck are a few:
Rebuild the motor
Automatic Trans
Custom exhaust with headers and turbo mufflers (will be true dual exhaust)
Drop 2.5 inch front and 4 inch back
New bench seat maybe bucket seats
Tilt steering column with column-shift
New carpet
New dash pad
New door panels
New seat belts
Custom center console (I'll make my self with fiberglass)
Custom switches for interior lights, locks and windows
New rear bumper (81-82 with lights in bumper)
Move fog lights from inside grille to the bumper
Make a custom grille
Change over headlights to halogen lights
Dynamat in the interior
Black paint with single red pinstrip one inch below the body line
Spray in bed-liner (I'll be spraying it in) along with the frame and other misc. parts
20 inch american racing rims, black with machined face

Well that's pretty much, I've estimated about $3000 when everything is complete besides paint and rims. I'll be buying parts from 4 different places; lmctruck.com, rockauto.com, summitracing.com and wrench a part in Belton, Texas. Few more things to consider are that this will be frame off restoration, I'll be undercoating the frame as well as the under side of the bed, cab and inner fender wells. Hoping to be out driving this truck within a few months.

Pictures!! Found some on my phone, these are a little old but I haven't really done anything since these were taken so we're good.

My truck! Grille removed and parts stacked up in the back with a view of part of our 6 acre yard

Just another view of my truck, considering keeping the stock rims when all said and done, we'll see.

This is one before I took apart the interior, little blurry but that's all I have.

After I took out the interior, everything but the wiring and ac is out actually.

The leaky steering box that needs to be rebuilt or get a new one

The floor on the driver side that needs to be fixed, nothing major but I have to buy a welder which I'll enjoy buying (;

Lastly, where my steering column and clutch used to be. As you can tell the gauges have been removed along with the ac controls, radio and windshield wiper controller.

Last edited by Matt21lutz; 12-25-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Matt21lutz

Re: My 83' C10 Build

So after much deliberation with myself, I have figured out what I'm going to do with my gauges. Since I'm a graphic designer, I'm going to design my own gauge faces and then have them printed through my printing company. I'm thinking something in line with the pics below.

The cobalt gauge right now is my favorite. I'm thinking that I'll actually Cut the stock gauges (I'll get donors just be safe) so that where the blue bar is the lights that I'll be installing in my bezel will shine through at night so the gauges actually light up.

I've already painted the back cover using the "bumper chrome" paint so that helps with light but next I'm going to paint the black cover on the back with the paint as well. I'll be installing LED lights that I'll wire up inside the bezel. Still debating on whether or not I'll make my own LED lights or just buy pre-made strips.

So that's just my update.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Paul83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt21lutz View Post
So after much deliberation with myself, I have figured out what I'm going to do with my gauges. Since I'm a graphic designer, I'm going to design my own gauge faces and then have them printed through my printing company. I'm thinking something in line with the pics below.

The cobalt gauge right now is my favorite. I'm thinking that I'll actually Cut the stock gauges (I'll get donors just be safe) so that where the blue bar is the lights that I'll be installing in my bezel will shine through at night so the gauges actually light up.

I've already painted the back cover using the "bumper chrome" paint so that helps with light but next I'm going to paint the black cover on the back with the paint as well. I'll be installing LED lights that I'll wire up inside the bezel. Still debating on whether or not I'll make my own LED lights or just buy pre-made strips.

So that's just my update.
I really like the Cobalt gauge myself. I would check out http://www.superbrightleds.com/ This is where I went. The leds fit right in the bulb sockets in the back where the stock lights are. The vehicle finder section will let you get direct replacements. This might be something for you to check out. You can get multiple colors also.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul83 View Post
I really like the Cobalt gauge myself. I would check out http://www.superbrightleds.com/ This is where I went. The leds fit right in the bulb sockets in the back where the stock lights are. The vehicle finder section will let you get direct replacements. This might be something for you to check out. You can get multiple colors also.
That's where I plan on getting them from along with radio shack. I plan on drilling holes on the back cover and adding LED lights around the speedo and gas gauge, in a circle pattern as far as the other three I'm not exactly sure yet. The Stock replacement bulbs are okay but I really want the gauges to be bright at night. Another thing I'll be doing is custom icons for the high beam, turn signals, brake and seat belts. Ill post pics of the original and my design.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Matt21lutz

Here is what my gauges currently look like, I took it all apart so everyone can see what I mean. Back has been painted "chrome" and the symbols will be added on to the pieces of colored plastic so that the light only comes through the design and not anywhere else.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
Matt21lutz

So here's an update. No pics but I will get out there and take some soon. Got my new transmission in, traded up to a th350 trans with column shift for now and got the right drive shaft. The drive shaft took the longest to find because the junkyard uses fork lifts to move the cars/trucks around so all the drive shafts were bent.

Changing my design on the custom gauges faces that I'm making, found a company to make them along with new indicator light faces. They're more readable with the numbers facing the inside.

Finally chose a color and the rims that I'll be using. Truck will be a gun metal grey with a matte black finish and matte black design on the hood and tailgate (maybe) but i will do some red pin-stripping. Ill be running 20" x 8.5" on the front & 20" x 10" on the back, they'll be HR-99 Charcoal Center Coddington wheels. check em out, http://hotrodsbyboyd.com/wheels/tour...arcoal-center/.

That's all for now, be putting up pics soon!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #7
Matt21lutz

So been thinking A LOT lately about everything i wan to do, i may be impatient but i'm also a perfectionist, doesn't seem right does it? lol but anyways, I've decided that i want to put an air ride system all the way around, thinking about using ridetechs' air suspension system from jegs, http://www.jegs.com/i/Ridetech/029/1...60#moreDetails. would like some thoughts and see if anyone has used the system before? keep in mind this will be a daily driver as well as somewhat of a track truck as well.

plan on putting a full roll cage, get a 350 motor, rebuild it with coil pack conversion, fuel injection, edelbrock heads with hydraulic roller lifters, electric water pump or performance water pump, maybe a serpentine belt drive (will have ac), disc brakes all the way around, new aluminum radiator, ac condenser, oil cooler, trans cooler and msd ignition system. uhm... change from dual headlights to single headlights and get the lmc truck halogen conversion then add hid to that system, led tail lights, turn signals, markers and front turn signals. custom interior, mostly just the center console and audio system, i'll be adding a lot of electronics like electric fans, headlight switches, switch for hazard lights, ignition hot switch, accessory switch, battery cutoff switch and the list keeps going. then maybe a LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG way down the road turn the truck over to all wheel drive, yes i did just say that, with independent suspension all the way around.

so yeah that's my plan, may take a few years to complete but that's all good. few pics coming soon! also check out my thread for my led tail lights!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
SCOTI

Roll bar or cage? Why?

You should check w/one of the board supporting vendors on the Air Ride kit....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=210

It helps support those that help support us & this site.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Roll bar or cage? Why?

You should check w/one of the board supporting vendors on the Air Ride kit....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=210

It helps support those that help support us & this site.

I plan on taking the truck onto track and drag racing eventually, and besides, I like the safety of a roll cage.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt21lutz View Post
I plan on taking the truck onto track and drag racing eventually, and besides, I like the safety of a roll cage.
Truck cabs don't have much room. That means the seats & cage have to be planned as a package to allow proper positioning of your helmet to the bars. A roll cage on the street w/no helmet just means you'll hit your head on something much sooner.

If the plan is to 'eventually' make it a track vehicle, I'd focus on the street aspect now & modify for track needs when the time comes so you'll be within current rules/regulations of the time.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Truck cabs don't have much room. That means the seats & cage have to be planned as a package to allow proper positioning of your helmet to the bars. A roll cage on the street w/no helmet just means you'll hit your head on something much sooner.

If the plan is to 'eventually' make it a track vehicle, I'd focus on the street aspect now & modify for track needs when the time comes so you'll be within current rules/regulations of the time.

The way I plan on making or having the cage built is an extremely tight fitting cage, as close as i can and still getting the proper amount of welding. I saw smitty's custom automotive out of ohio) build a roll cage is 67 c10 and the way it was built was PERFECT. tight fit, matched the contours of the interior of the body yet still met the regulations. I know it will either take a lot of time r the right amount of money, wait ill spend a lot either way haha but still i like the safety it would give me even just on drives in town or where ever I am. I have a lot of plans for my truck and I know it'll take time so I'm good with that.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

as per a private message request from the original poster, I am closing this thread

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Closed Thread