The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
aussiejohn

Removing engine

Hi guys and gals, I have a 1967 GMC with a two barrel 350 and a four speed manual, no synchro on first. Due to my arthritis it hurts my shoulder when I shift, plus it revs too hard on the highway, so I have bought a TH700R4 to replace the heavy truck box. I had it beefed up with stronger clutches in both trans and converter and I am now in the process of pulling the engine and gearbox out. Oh, also, the ring gear on the flywheel has lost most of its teeth and I can't start it, so it has to come apart.

I want to lift the engine and gearbox out as a unit and want to remove the radiator support panel to facilitate this, but it looks like I will have to remove the fenders as well in order to get the front panel out. Can anyone who's done this please pass on a few tips as to how I go about it? Is it a two man job or will I need some extra muscle?

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Highett, Victoria
Australia
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: Removing engine

Hi John, the 700r4 will be about a 30 percent reduction in rpm,s on the highway. I would suggest splitting the engine and trans apart before removing it from the truck. Just lift the motor off of the motor mounts and pull forward with the trans jacked up and supported. you may need to remove the radiator, but nothing else to give you the room you need. Good luck.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
69chevytrucker

like he said tons of room no need to remove anything but the rad i have had my engine and trans in and out of my truck so many times one of the best things about these trucks is the room in the engine bay
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
aussiejohn

Thanks guys. The gearbox in my truck has no rear transmission mount. The rear mounts are on the bell housing and the trans just sticks out to the rear with nothing to support it once the engine mounts are disconnected. I am under a carport with perhaps not enough room to lift the engine above the radiator support, but will try. The main problem is supporting the manual trans when I disconnect it from the engine. The only thing connecting it to the truck is the speedo cable, and I don't think that will cut the mustard. ;-)

A friend has offered to give me a rear transmission mount from his '69 C10, so I do not intend to re-use the rear engine/bellhousing mounts with the 700. So, how hard is it to remove at least one front fender to aid in the radiator support panel removal?

Thank you.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 09-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yo, a.j. In case you haven't done it yet, here's a couple of threads re. front clip removal. Also, some guys remove the front tires for extra room to lift engine inside low ceilings.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=194094

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=458618
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
aussiejohn

yo 68gmsee, that's exactly what I wanted. Thank you. I left the fenders on the truck, with the upper and lower rear bolts loosened, and spread the fronts apart just enough to remove the rad. support panel. Now I have to remove the tailshaft, four engine mounts and speedo cable and gear lever, that should be it. Oh, plus a few wires and accelerator linkage etc. Took most of Sunday afternoon, have to work today and tomorrow, but hope to have it done by the weekend.

I plan to paint the panel with POR 15, as it's covered with mild surface rust on the rear, faded black paint on the front. Might as well have it looking sanitary if I can.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn