The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
fryed_1

Anyone do classic arcades?

yeah not a car or other classic vehicle, but got in to it by chance a few years ago restoring an old pacman machine. Made some templates of it, built a few Pacman/Galaga combo replicas, then started building my own. Can't find my build pics right now, but here's two I've been working on for a while now when I get the chance to plug away at them.

One on the right is a multi-game machine, probably 400 or so classics playable just like the originals. Cab is about 95% done, just needs finishing work. I've been undecided on the graphics for about 5 months now, so sits basically how it is until I figure out a good vinyl wrap to lay on it. It's 24" monitor, older i7 inside with SSD so it runs quick and cool. 200watt sound with bose sub. Does the full 6-button so everything up to streetfighter works, plus the trackball for some classic golden t (have like 7-8 version on it from 94-2001 I think). Don't know why I drunkenly chose to print out Halo graphics for it, but they've been stuck there for like 4 months now and I just haven't taken them off yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ovYGHJsM8

Other one is a playable replica from the 80's movie The Last Starfighter. It definitely needs a good bit more work and a lot of the upper portion of that cab is scrap wood I used to get the dimensions and feel of it right before I start chopping up more expensive MDF. It is accurate for gameplay from the original game in the movie though. I've been playing with a 3D printer to get the handles/joysticks accurate and workable just like the movie, not a lot of luck yet though so leave the older crane-style sticks in place until I figure it out. I've since upgrade the monitor to a 27" LCD (can't defeat Xur and the Kodan Armada on a wimpy old 22!). Still have a crap-ton of LED's to wire up for this thing as well.

None of the graphics are finishing on either. I print everything out to scale on my inkjet 2-3 times to get everything 100% fitting correctly before I send it off for vinyl. I'd much rather pay for wasting ink than a $400 set of graphics!

I'll try to dig up some older pics from my old laptop later. Done a cocktail pacman cab a few years ago and occasionally sell a machine or two. Donkey Kong and pacman style cabs are the ones people usually dig the most so I've built router templates for those to spit them out easily. Controls are all original Sanwa/Happ that you see in your favorite 80's classic. Every one is tested by the roughest players I can find before getting put to use... Kids have had a ton of fun and it's nice to see them playing the games I grew up on instead of 14 straight hours of minecraft on the xbox some days heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYgv-iT5FU
Attached Images

fryed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote