The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Member Dealings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
DEISS

Who would do this?

I`m fairly new to this site, and plan to be a member for life. I`ve got a problem and don`t quite know the best way to deal with it. There is much wisdom here on this site and I am interested in as much of it as I can get on this. Thank you all in advance for your opinions.

I bought a Big Block radiator from a member recently, it was described to me as being vatted, roded, cleaned, pressure checked, new petcock, and painted with the correct simi-gloss paint, for $275 shipped. I jumped on it, sent the money order off and received the radiator within a couple weeks. Here is a picture of the box and foam the radiator was wrapped up in.

The rear face of the radiator had the protection of the seat foam between it and the cardboard, however the front face only had the protection of the bare cardboard on the front face and edges. Here is a picture of the front face of the radiator after I unpacked it.

I`m sure at this point of my story I`m not the only person who is sick to his stomach, it gets worse. The box was obviously dropped on it`s corner, because here is a picture I took of the filler neck. Notice that it has been pushed down into the tank.

So I contact the seller, inform him of the damage, he tells me he insured the radiator through UPS for the sell price of $275, and the damage claim process is started. UPS picks the package up in its original packaging, and I wait. The seller informs me a week or so later that UPS declined the damage claim due to inadequate packaging. The seller tells me he is appealing the finding, and the UPS store that shipped the radiator is going to bat for us. I contact UPS a few days later and find out thier original finding stands, and there can be no further appeal. I contact the seller and ask if the appeal is declined, where I stand. He responds by telling me I`m out my $275 and he is out his refurbished radiator. I responded days ago to him letting him know my opinion of what should take place. First of all I would not do a piss poor job of packaging a $275 radiator, but if I did and it got damaged and if UPS declined my claim due to piss poor packaging, then My integrity would force me to refund the entire $275 to the buyer who had nothing to do with the packaging of the radiator. Is there any member of this site who would send a radiator via UPS packaged as described above? Any one who thinks the seller has integrity? Days have gone by and I have not heard a word from him.
DEISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
allengator

Re: Who would do this?

NO!
It is his responsibility to get the package to you safely.
His packing was negligent. No reasonably prudent person would think that was an adequate packing job.
It is HIS radiator.... he owes you $275.00.

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
DEISS

Thank you.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
allengator

BTW: UPS is notorious for claiming bad packing... even if the item was packed well....
Thats why I ALWAYS pay the UPS store to pack the item.
Otherwise the insurance is pretty useless....
If THEY pack it... the claim will be paid no matter what!

2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Seller is responsible to get it to you in good shape.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
bif

Well brothers and sisters, I think the offender should be exposed so he could defend his position or at least let future buyers beware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I agree seller responsiblity It is a pain to deal with shipping companies, its hardly ever their fault no matter what happens dropped, run over etc. The seller should have to repay you. Good luck
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

I feel if he is an honest person he would give you your $275.00 back, it should have been packed better, sorry but that is how it is!! If I had sold it to you and that happened, I would have tried the UPS claim first, after it was denied because of packaging I would have refunded your money!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
70cst

I will post this in the review area and pass on this issue to those above my rank...Stay tuned.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
6772owner
Gearhead

I agree with everything stated above, I am in shipping/receiving and would never even dream that package would survive 10 minutes in the hands of UPS.... I am saddened by this, I hate to see people get in this situation. If the seller is seeing this post, he should refund your money, this is not the site to be bad terms with. This site has the best people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with/meeting with and this just puts a bruise on all of us.... I hope this is resolved swiftly.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Sinister
Between Trucks...

That sucks. What really sucks is that you could have got a brand new radiator for less $$$.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
RED67
Forever Grateful

get a rope
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

The fact that the purchaser bought it from another member is one issue. The packaging, is another.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
70cst

Just a heads up...let’s keep this on a positive note and let’s not turn this into a bashing thread. I agree if I was DEISS I would be disappointed but we need to hear both sides. Hopefully a resloution is reached that is satisfactory to both sides.

I made a change to my reply to be fair to all involved.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Last edited by 70cst; 02-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
DEISS

Thank you all for standing by me on this one, my hands shake in anger as I write this, I don`t want to expose anyone, I just want my $275, I wish this would have been left where it could be seen by all, but it is what it is. Maybe the seller will have a change of heart, lets all hope so, Jack.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEISS View Post
Thank you all for standing by me on this one, my hands shake in anger as I write this, I don`t want to expose anyone, I just want my $275, I wish this would have been left where it could be seen by all, but it is what it is. Maybe the seller will have a change of heart, lets all hope so, Jack.
DIESS...
The reason for moving it here is so it can be resolved hopefully to the satisfaction of the buyer (you) and the seller without getting tons of people piling on without injecting helpful ideas for a mutual solution. I have sent a memo to the Mods and other Admins. so they are aware and can follow up with the hope of finding a solution for both parties.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
71swb4x4

Quote:
He responds by telling me I`m out my $275 and he is out his refurbished radiator.
How is he "out" his radiator at this point? He sold the radiator for $275 and took the money. The only way he is out his radiator is if he does the right thing and refunds you for it.

I feel for both sides. You have to pack the crap out of stuff these days.
As a seller it really sucks when this happens, because you do really lose out when you have to refund the cash.
As a buyer it sucks because you have to convince the seller to do the right thing, and you have to find a new part which sets you back a couple more weeks on your project.
All it takes is one ****ty employee who doesn't care in at one point in the process and your product is damaged.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Guys, you have one side to a story. I am not saying the buyer is wrong in anyway.. but without the sellers side, etc you have zero right to say he should be hung etc. In posting a review (in any area) without the seller having a chance to discuss or make good is not cool at all. By not showing the seller this post, nor naming them, its one sides plain and simple.

I wish you the best, and have faith (from reviewing your posts and guessing whom the seller would be) that they will fix the issue at hand.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
DANTIP

I am somewhat surprised that UPS can accept payment for insurance, have plenty of opportunity to inspect the packaging, and refuse to honor a damage claim. It would seem logical for UPS to decline to ship or insure products they believe are poorly packaged or insist on repacking an item the shipper wants insured.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
allengator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
I am somewhat surprised that UPS can accept payment for insurance, have plenty of opportunity to inspect the packaging, and refuse to honor a damage claim. It would seem logical for UPS to decline to ship or insure products they believe are poorly packaged or insist on repacking an item the shipper wants insured.

I agree... but like I said b4... they are notorious for it...
The worst thing is.... WHY do we have to buy insurance in the first place???
I pay them to ship my item, and then have to pay them more to replace it if they dont do their job safely????

I have friends that are former employees of UPS that tell horror stories of the company, and the employee attitudes that the corporate culture cultivates...

2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Old 02-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
70cst

DEISS ... Keep us updated to how this is resolved. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #22
mcrich01

You have been wronged

Rakkasan 4 life
mcrich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
Sicklajoie
The Niner

With the crappy way it was packed and shipped, how can the seller NOT be wrong??
Common sense dictates that an item should be shipped as if it's GOING to be broken.
I drove for FedEx for almost 10 years - I've seen my share of lazy packing jobs.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
KEL
72 GMC

Quote:
I`m fairly new to this site, and plan to be a member for life. I`ve got a problem and don`t quite know the best way to deal with it. There is much wisdom here on this site and I am interested in as much of it as I can get on this. Thank you all in advance for your opinions.

I bought a Big Block radiator from a member recently, it was described to me as being vatted, roded, cleaned, pressure checked, new petcock, and painted with the correct simi-gloss paint, for $275 shipped. I jumped on it, sent the money order off and received the radiator within a couple weeks. Here is a picture of the box and foam the radiator was wrapped up in.

The rear face of the radiator had the protection of the seat foam between it and the cardboard, however the front face only had the protection of the bare cardboard on the front face and edges. Here is a picture of the front face of the radiator after I unpacked it.

I`m sure at this point of my story I`m not the only person who is sick to his stomach, it gets worse. The box was obviously dropped on it`s corner, because here is a picture I took of the filler neck. Notice that it has been pushed down into the tank.

So I contact the seller, inform him of the damage, he tells me he insured the radiator through UPS for the sell price of $275, and the damage claim process is started. UPS picks the package up in its original packaging, and I wait. The seller informs me a week or so later that UPS declined the damage claim due to inadequate packaging. The seller tells me he is appealing the finding, and the UPS store that shipped the radiator is going to bat for us. I contact UPS a few days later and find out thier original finding stands, and there can be no further appeal. I contact the seller and ask if the appeal is declined, where I stand. He responds by telling me I`m out my $275 and he is out his refurbished radiator. I responded days ago to him letting him know my opinion of what should take place. First of all I would not do a piss poor job of packaging a $275 radiator, but if I did and it got damaged and if UPS declined my claim due to piss poor packaging, then My integrity would force me to refund the entire $275 to the buyer who had nothing to do with the packaging of the radiator. Is there any member of this site who would send a radiator via UPS packaged as described above? Any one who thinks the seller has integrity? Days have gone by and I have not heard a word from him.

Nice job not naming the guy.
Well done.
Good luck.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

What is there to hear from the seller? The pictures tell the story. It wasn't packaged properly and that is the responsibility of the seller. Deiss isn't telling any more from his side of the story but facts. The part was packaged poorly,damaged in shipping,UPS denies responsibility due to poor packaging (there's your support for Deiss' side),the seller is showing signs he doesn't feel responsible,lied about an appeal and UPS agent going to bat,and now isn't answering his messages. I agree the seller should have a chance to defend. Not sure what he could say.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote