The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #1
Smokintire70

'70 C10 too low.

I don't know about you but slammed trucks are not my thing. I want my C10 to sit up a little bit. I'm putting 31s on the rear and 29s on the front on a set of Slot Mags. I want it to sit like a 3/4 ton. I'm doing a five lug converision, would this be a good time to change springs? I'm not sure how to set it up a tad. Maybe 3 inches is good, whatever I can get. This is my first post so try to be understanding. I've heard of people using C20 springs, lift kits, spacers etc. I'd like to make the suspension slightly stiffer. It kinda floats on the freeway. Any help is welcome. Thanks.
Smokintire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Overdriven

Re: '70 C10 too low.

I'd have a look at pics of stock height trucks and note where the axle centerline is compared to the body. This will help you determine what springs to use and if you need a lift kit or not.

As far as feeling floaty on the highway that's a function of the shocks not the springs. The reason it feels floaty is because after the suspension compresses it is uncompressing (rebound) too fast resulting in the suspension cycling back and forth between compression and rebound instead of coming back to its resting postition. Picture one of those spring loaded door stops that keep going back and forth after you bend it and let it go. The door stop is an extreme example but I'm sure you've seen vehicles that seem to continually bounce up and down on the road after hitting a bump. The shock is supposed to slow this movement (by absorbing the springs energy) so the suspension returns to resting position quicker instead of cycling between compression and rebound which feels floaty. Your current shocks could be worn out or just not have enough rebound dampening.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Smokintire70

Re: '70 C10 too low.

Thanks but I have talked to some people and decided to run stock springs with spacers. I appreciate the help.
Smokintire70 is offline   Reply With Quote