The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
I_Wanna_Go_Fast

Power to Manual brakes on 72 c-10

Hey guys
First off, my apologies as I know this has been beat to death on here. I did a ton of searching to find a lot of good info, a lot of bad info, and a lot of conflicting info.
I was hoping to ask the experts the reside across this forum for some definite answers on converting my 1972 c-10 from power brakes to manual brakes.
No need to bring out the torches and pitchforks, I know I will get a lot of "But why...?" for this. You see, this is a street/strip truck. 540 BBC, I am having issues removing valve covers to adjust lash. Took the factory brake booter set up out when the 540 went in, bought the master cylinder/smaller brake booster set up from Jegs to help out with my problems ( https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631442/10002/-1 ) helped slightly but not a sustainable solution.
Trying to adjust valve lash is still a PITA on the drivers side. I would like to convert to manual brakes to free up some space as well as clean up under the hood. I know the master cylinder is good for power or manual brakes but unsure of what proportioning valve to order. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel..
I_Wanna_Go_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Power to Manual brakes on 72 c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Wanna_Go_Fast View Post
Hey guys
First off, my apologies as I know this has been beat to death on here. I did a ton of searching to find a lot of good info, a lot of bad info, and a lot of conflicting info.
I was hoping to ask the experts the reside across this forum for some definite answers on converting my 1972 c-10 from power brakes to manual brakes.
No need to bring out the torches and pitchforks, I know I will get a lot of "But why...?" for this. You see, this is a street/strip truck. 540 BBC, I am having issues removing valve covers to adjust lash. Took the factory brake booter set up out when the 540 went in, bought the master cylinder/smaller brake booster set up from Jegs to help out with my problems ( https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631442/10002/-1 ) helped slightly but not a sustainable solution.
Trying to adjust valve lash is still a PITA on the drivers side. I would like to convert to manual brakes to free up some space as well as clean up under the hood. I know the master cylinder is good for power or manual brakes but unsure of what proportioning valve to order. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel..
Prop valves are disc/drum or drum/drum for these trucks. Disc/disc are available through the aftermarket.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
Mike C

The combination valve should be the same whether power or manual. Remove the power booster and get a manual brake pushrod and manual brake master cylinder. The manual MC has a deeper hole in the back to keep the pushrod from falling out, aftermarket ones sometimes come with a spacer to put in the back or have one that can be removed.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:29 AM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I got a aluminum master off a 84 c10 w manual brakes for my 73 stops fine.

Didn't touch the prop valve

Last edited by KQQL IT; 12-18-2021 at 12:43 AM.
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote