The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
R.O.B.

67 C20 Disc brake/suspension rebuild advice

I'm want to accomplish a few different goals and not waste money in the process, but I need to do things in stages as money comes by slowly.

I have a 67 C20 that I inherited a few months back. It had been sitting for 19 years. It currently has manual drum brakes, manual steering, and 4spd manual transmission.

So far, I've replaced the fuel tank, pump and carb. Done the water pump, t-stat, cleaned the cooling system. I rebuilt the 4 wheel drum brakes, with new master cylinder, drums, seals, wheel cylinders, springs and shoes.

I still need to rebuild the suspension, but it's drivable for now. I also want to convert to power disc brakes in the front, and planned to use 73-87 spindles. This way I can purchase dropped spindles in the future if I decide it needs to be lower and I can save up the money.

1-So in the meantime, can I replace any 67 steering stuff and still do the conversion? Or do I need to convert all at once?
2-If I convert the spindles, inner/outer tie rods, can I use the 67 center link, or do I need to use the 73-87?
2a-If I need to use 73-87 center link, will it work with my current manual steering pitman arm, or do I need to convert to power steering at this time as well?
3-Can I still use my manual master cylinder, or do I need to convert to power booster/master cylinder at this time?
4-Do I need to change the hard lines out to a larger or smaller size?

Like I said, I just trying to figure out the best approach in stages.

Thanks,
Rob
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
R.O.B.

Re: 67 C20 Disc brake/suspension rebuild advice

Also - just to be clear, I am keeping it 3/4 ton

Also, can I use any of the boosters/master cylinders from the 73-87's? Like direct bolt in or minimal modification? Or am I stuck with aftermarket?

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 12-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I would looking into D52 calipers from wilwood. Slightly bigger dual piston vs large single. I am doing those on my C10 when I upgrade my front suspension from LD to HD 1/2 ton
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
Big Kev-O

1 & 2.
When you change to disc/drop spindles you can use your center link but
71-87 C20 Spindles have different size steering tie rods and ball joints than 67-70. To use your center link you will need special tie rod adjuster sleeves that allow your 67 outer tie rods to be used (in the inner position) with 71-87 outter tie rods. POL sells the tie rod sleeves part number HPAS6570.

2A. I'm not sure if the power & non-power pitman arm is the same. Might try comparing part numbers on RockAuto.

3. You will need a new master cylinder and proportioning valve designed for disc/drum combo. I used a 72 C10 master cylinder and proportioning valve on my C20 because I couldn't find the correct lines to connect a C20 master to the prop valve.

4. Most of your factory hard lines can be reused. I had to make new lines to connect the proportioning valve to the line on the frame rail.

Things to note: C20 Boosters mount to the firewall with a different size bracket than C10s. C20 boosters will not work with C10 master cylinders and vice versa. Finding a C20 booster, bracket/mount & master cylinder that all fit together was impossible. I got all my parts from auto parts stores in attempt to save money. I should have just bought a complete kit but I wanted the Willwood D52s. If you don't buy a complete disc conversion kit do yourself a favor and at least buy the booster, master cylinder & prop valve as a package.

My truck stops great with the C10 booster & master.

POL Tie rod link:
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...ONVERSIONS-Pr/
Old 01-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
R.O.B.

Thank you, that's very helpful information.