The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Other vintage

Enough about me. Let's talk about me . I'll just get these shown so I can comment on what others have shown. I'm seeing cool stuff in this thread.

Back in the kitchen. There was a mouse hole gnawed through the floor next to the floor beam. I fixed it proper with a tin can lid!
Name:  DSCN0066.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  25.8 KB

This is my cast iron trivet collection
Name:  DSCN0065.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  40.5 KB

Old spice(s), and these odd little cast iron skillet souvenir things
Name:  DSCN0067.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  32.6 KB

The log on the front wall was either cut out for two front doors, which was a traditional thing, or the door got moved once. In the living room on the other side of the door I did a built-in shelf, the one with antique motorcycle toys seen earlier. On the kitchen side I built-in a cubby for cookbooks
Name:  DSCN0064.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  51.6 KB

This is the downstairs bath I added at one end of the laundry room addition. I used Douglas Fir porch ceiling for paneling with oak trim. This is the built-in shelf by the john I had a collection ot '40s-'50s Tootsietoy cars and trucks on the shelves, but took them out. I think I did that when my grandson was a toddler and lived near enough to visit. can't let them see old toys and not let them play with them. The paint chips off those real easily. I think I'll put them back now. That antique oak framed beveled glass mirror I stole for $30. It matched the antique oak medicine cabinet.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-11-2022 at 06:28 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #27
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Tim your place is awesome! I love it when you post pics of your cool stuff. Seems like forever ago I lived in a log house. The whole thing was hand hewn. The outside walls looked like your ceiling beams. It was semi modernized inside with a few creature comforts (compared to when it was built). It had a sort of adobe styled fireplace, no idea if that was original, it sure seemed old. Going upstairs was very narrow with a turn. When I took my box spring up there I had to saw the wooden frame in half so I could bend it around the corner. There was no bath room in the house. You walked out a short breeze way to another hand hewn building. Very small, it only housed the toilet, a sink, and a giant cast iron tub. No shower. It was a cool place to live, but I was only a renter and the place wasnt for sale. It was also very far out and made my commute kind of long.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #28
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I wish you could work on my cabin for about a year! It needs some of those craftsman touchs.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #29
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks. I know you know your kitchens. Behind the sink is exterior, log, and the ceiling beams are original hand hewn, ceiling is bottom of t&g floor above. When I bought the place the prior owner had slapped up Merillat golden oak cabinets. They were hanging all cock-eyed on the log. I decided this old place needed some "carpenter-built" cabinets like you would find in old farm houses and such. They are really slapped together (in '87/raiding kids). I'm not real proud of the craftsmanship.
The corner pantry serves as the chase for plumbing behind a false back. The drain for the upstairs bath runs above the sink, behind the grille work. The built-in below the light is in the back wall (log) in a former window opening. I built an addition behind that wall and it's the mudroom behind it now, then a sunroom (used as bedroom). That sink I bought new in '87, Kohler.
1929 is a cool era. You could do an era carpenter-built style kitchen in that. It will be hard to leave this old log place with all it's soul. Finding another would be great, but for the sake of variety I'd like to do a craftsman style house. I've been grabbing pictures of smaller ones, as well as other cool cottage type, even small Victorians. If I end up with a common place small rancher I'll transform it into a Craftsman style. I definitely want something to apply a lot of hand made carpentry to.
My situation is rather unique. "My" house was my grandparent's first. They bought it in 1933 at the age of 23 and 21, from a bank after the original owners lost it in the depression. They never moved from it, my dad was raised in it, both of them passed (at different times) while living in it.
I think mostly because of the mentality of people who lived through those times, it never really changed much in my entire life. It has furnace upgrades over the decades, had A/C added in the 90s and replacement windows somewhere around then too. Other than that though, virtually the same.
I have done some extensive remodeling to almost the entire house, saving the kitchen for last.
Having done an entire kitchen and bathroom for my daughter's house in the last couple of years, has put mine on the back burner.
I was built "on site" by the original carpenters, but kitchens were very different in those times. There was no such thing as an "eat in" kitchen back then. It had an adjoining dining room, and they built an addition onto the back as a breakfast room, before my dad was even born. The narrow, little galley kitchen only had 8' of countertop, 3' of which was taken up by the sink.
Granny lived with 5' of usable counter space for 70 years!?
I figured that the corner unit in your kitchen was a utility space, that's pretty common in older houses. Mine had a similar cabinet that partially contained the old chimney, that is what ate up space where more cabinets and countertop could have been. That's why I took it out. I doubled the space in a couple of weekends, but it does not match. It was just some leftover stuff that I got from work. I just need to pull it all together as one finished unit, that represents the correct look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, the challenge of log walls is where to run utilities. In the upstairs bathroom, the sink is over top of the refrigerator. That drain runs to the corner through the continuous cabinetry, sink to linen closet. The linen closet is directly above that corner pantry and the vent stack runs out the roof from there as well. I framed and insulated a wall outside the log, like a jacket. The wiring is run out there, other than what feeds the 1st floor that is run under the floor in the cellar. The breaker box is within a built-in corner cupboard, as called in the antique world. I ran 220a service underground to that corner, on the side wall. The front porch used to be centered at 8'w. The meter was on the front wall... 60a service! I guess the place has come a long way. But after being here 35 years it hit me it won't be seen by potential buyers as a remodeled house, but one that needs it. So I'm being crafty at changing that with minimal expense.

Mark, my place has "winders" (staircase) as well. Quite a challenge getting big things upstairs. It was closed in above the stairs and open below. I reversed that to allow more to be able to get upstairs. It was the '80s, VCRs were new and so were CDs. I thought I was being clever by enclosing below the steps with a door, like many old houses have, often a half bath in there. The area is the entertainment center, TV, stereo, and records in there. The wall around the corner housed the CDs and VCRs. Outdate waste of floor space now! Not that it's very useful with the staircase overhead.

I plan to rip that out back to the low side of that door, and have the shelves for stereo and CDs there. I'll gain about a 4'x4' area of useable floor space. Plenty of wall space for a flat screen. The problem is, the log within that area I never touched. So I'll need to strip the logs bare and redo the chinking on the whole wall. There are two 4-gang boxes at about 3' off the floor, too. Speaking of the floor, the hardwood is laid 'around' all of that... that... thing , So I'll either patch it in with extra I've kept, or it's time for new hardwood. I feel like I'm doing all of this for the next owner. Oh well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #31
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
70s Honda generator . Matches my 72 ,this Homie was gassed run but never used to cut . Needed a carb rebuild and all the rubber replaced most of these died due to the case corroding . Had to download pics off my Google photos to my iPhone
I got one of those Homelite Super EZ saws as well! Mine has cut a few trees though. Also have a 1970's Craftsman chainsaw and a mid 80's Stihl. Few old fishing reels, lots of old lures and here are two of my old guns. 1950's High Standard and early 1960's Browning.

Have a few old S&W pistols along with some rifles and one Browning A5 shotgun as well.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #32
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow Tim, I like this Chevy a bunch.

I only have one vintage model, which is this ice cream truck. There was a family steak house here since the 60s, but closed of course, all the steak houses are gone now. Anyway, the restaurant was a family favorite, so my mom bought this piece when the guy shut his place down with the 2009 recession. I was a Schwan's driver for a year or so, she probably figured it fit.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:47 PM   #33
dave6672

I was always drawn to signs, even as a kid. I've picked up some over the years, my first one was a Champion spark plug sign that I scavenged when I was in college. It was on a post on the side of the road near a small bridge not too far from my home and I'd eyed it for years. Then one day the highway department started replacing the bridge and pushed the sign over with a dozer and left it laying there so I snagged it.

The AC oil filter sign and my Autolite sign (not pictured) were given to me by a local farmer. They hung on his building for years and I offered to buy them one day and he said he'd think about it. When I came back a month later, he said that I could have them for free. I again offered to pay him, but he insisted.
Attached Images

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #34
dave6672

Square body door from the local junk yard's old wrecker and a bunch of old hubcaps I picked up there. Whenever a car came into the yard over years, they removed the hupcaps and pitched them in a pile. They now have a huge pile of old hubcaps that I dig through occasionally. The deeper you go, the older they are. One day I found a early 50's Pontiac hupcap deep in the pile, then the second matching one. After more digging I found the other two and had a set. It was like a treasure hunt for me.

I plan on displaying them on my garage wall along with my signs once I get insulation work done.
Attached Images

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:49 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I wish you could work on my cabin for about a year! It needs some of those craftsman touchs.
Ok. When can I start?
if I could manage it, I'd love to take some work/play vacations to help you with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wow Tim, I like this Chevy a bunch.

I only have one vintage model, which is this ice cream truck. There was a family steak house here since the 60s, but closed of course, all the steak houses are gone now. Anyway, the restaurant was a family favorite, so my mom bought this piece when the guy shut his place down with the 2009 recession. I was a Schwan's driver for a year or so, she probably figured it fit.
Somewhat sorry to say, but these old Tonkas are all Fords. Buddy L put out some GMCs, but my toy world is the rerverse of my real world. I think the Tonkas are so much better. But because I am a Chevy/GMC fan, I did collect up on some of those Buddy Ls. Right now I have one side of my bedroom stuffed with things from the room those were stored in. Soon I'll be remodeling my bedroom that has never been touched since I moved in. Once that's done things will go back together in other rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6672 View Post
I was always drawn to signs, even as a kid. I've picked up some over the years, my first one was a Champion spark plug sign that I scavenged when I was in college. It was on a post on the side of the road near a small bridge not too far from my home and I'd eyed it for years. Then one day the highway department started replacing the bridge and pushed the sign over with a dozer and left it laying there so I snagged it.

The AC oil filter sign and my Autolite sign (not pictured) were given to me by a local farmer. They hung on his building for years and I offered to buy them one day and he said he'd think about it. When I came back a month later, he said that I could have them for free. I again offered to pay him, but he insisted.
Dave, I love your sign collection. I can tell you've been at it a while

Here is that oak medicine cabinet in the downstairs bath
Name:  DSCN0001 (1).jpg
Views: 287
Size:  38.9 KB

The light in the staircase is vintage that I rewired. I use amber flame style bulbs on the sconces since they don't have shades. The pair behind the couch have them as well as the sconce on the wall under the stairs. Make a nice comfy atmosphere using just those.
Name:  DSCN0006.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  31.5 KB

Here's a good one. In the upstairs bath I have a vintage "Standard" toilet!
That bathroom was the first job I did in this place. There was a building salvage place south of Baltimore near where I bought ladders and scaffold for my business. I'd stop in and mill around. That toilet has been in use here since '87. It even has ceramic acorn nut caps on the mounting bolts. There's your attention to detail!
(here come the comments)
Attached Images

Tim

Old 01-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #36
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Well - cars, of course.

And tractors.

K
I like that little Farmall Cub! We have one, and it was running up until about 10 years ago. It's sitting under a covered shed beside the barn on 4 flat tires. I think it's a '47 model.

I collect Hot Wheels also. Here’s a TikTok I made a while back of some of my redlines and older blackwall cars.
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdMvPTww/
2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 01-12-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:44 PM   #37
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I like those amber lights a lot.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 01-14-2022, 05:58 PM   #38
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
I like that little Farmall Cub! We have one, and it was running up until about 10 years ago. It's sitting under a covered shed beside the barn on 4 flat tires. I think it's a '47 model.

I collect Hot Wheels also. Here’s a TikTok I made a while back of some of my redlines and older blackwall cars.
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdMvPTww/
Went to the farm today and took a few pics. It’s kinda sad sittin there.

2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Gotenntitans; 01-14-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #39
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
What year is that? My step-dad had similar, not quite as old though. I only got to drive it 1-2 x, it wasn't used much or broken.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #40
Bigdav160

I have three vintage Spartan travel trailers. I guess you can call it a collection
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #41
72c20customcamper

Just got this Im guessing early 60s bandsaw all steel no plastic heavy mother two of use struggled to carry it up the stairs. Works perfectly I also got a same vintage 10 inch shop cabinet saw and radial arm saw . All I’m beautiful condition . I have to go back for the others as we couldn’t get them out of the basement going to have to dismantle them .These are from a friends relative who is moving to FL . He’s in his late 80s and was still making doll houses a bird houses . Best thing all free
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:17 AM   #42
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
What year is that? My step-dad had similar, not quite as old though. I only got to drive it 1-2 x, it wasn't used much or broken.
I’ve always heard it was a 1947, but my uncle says it’s a 1949. It wouldn’t take a lot to get it running again. It ran about 15 years ago. My uncle did a vegetable garden with it. Some new parts he put on it are still fairly new bright red looking.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-16-2022, 05:37 AM   #43
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I have three vintage Spartan travel trailers. I guess you can call it a collection
I'd like to hear more about the trailers. I was just thinking about a Spartan that I nearly bought. It was the model that looked like a cross-sectional cut of an airplane wing.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #44
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Cool . I've been looking for an older one smaller than the ones you pictured .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I love it! That is one of the tractors I cut my driving teeth on. My neighbor directly behind me has a newer Low boy I'd like to get away from him before it goes to... a bad place where it's very hot
Quote:
A collection or a neighborhood! Very cool. I barely missed a early '70s vintage travel trailer, newer than those of course. It was just the size I wanted, about 16' two axle
Quote:
Just got this Im guessing early 60s bandsaw all steel no plastic heavy mother two of use struggled to carry it up the stairs. Works perfectly I also got a same vintage 10 inch shop cabinet saw and radial arm saw . All I’m beautiful condition . I have to go back for the others as we couldn’t get them out of the basement going to have to dismantle them .These are from a friends relative who is moving to FL . He’s in his late 80s and was still making doll houses a bird houses . Best thing all free
Oh yeah, I almost forgot I have a collection of vintage, mostly Craftsman, shop tools. That's a really nice find. Those older Craftsman tools are second to none, commercial grade by today's standards. I don't have a bandsaw. Mine's a newer Delta. The Craftsman drill press I have weighs about the same as a Hyundai. I've stuggled to move that as well as the rest. My tools are all up in my screen house now, covered up. I say up because it is uphill!

Lead working tools:
Name:  DSCN0005.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  23.4 KB

Small machine oilers:
Name:  DSCN0007.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  21.5 KB

More Tonkas in the laundry room:
Name:  DSCN0058.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  29.7 KB

Tim

Old 01-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #46
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'd like to hear more about the trailers. I was just thinking about a Spartan that I nearly bought. It was the model that looked like a cross-sectional cut of an airplane wing.
Quote:
Cool . I've been looking for an older one smaller than the ones you pictured .
Yep, the smaller ones are very popular for obvious reasons.

Spartan was originally an aluminum aircraft company and it's construction techniques continued into it's travel trailer days after WWII. The earlier trailers were divided into Spartan Manors which had art deco influence and Spartanettes that were of the "canned ham" variety.

About 1954 Spartan Manors (and larger Mansions) were redesigned with more of a "atomic age" look. They even had Mansions with wrap around windows on the front and rear affectionately called "double enders".

Mine are all 1955 Imperial Mansions (40+ft). I purchased them from the same individual that collected 9 of them and stored them on a small lot in Houston . My plan was to set them up on my lake property for my kids to use. (no property tax on trailers in Texas )

Spartans were expensive new but they sold a lot of them. Around 100,000 units in 15 years of production. Because of the way they are constructed they last and there are still many many survivors. I was shocked how well those big girls of mine tow. The balance is perfect.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #47
4u2nv

Had a lot of vintage sleds and clothing the last few years, some stay some go
Attached Images

4u2nv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #48
LT7A

Nice, bright trophy cozies.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #49
4u2nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Nice, bright trophy cozies.
I never looked at them that way.funny
That seemed to be the only spot to display them
4u2nv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

I know you said other than the trucks, but branched off from that I collect all things 67-72 GM Truck. Including toys, model kits, promos, and literature. I'm to the point it's getting hard to find anything I don't already have. My model collection is crammed into one side of my bedroom right now due to work I'm doing on the house
Name:  DSCN0029.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9226.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  47.7 KB
I also restore Hot Wheels back to original colors
Attached Images

Tim