The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2022, 11:15 PM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Corn Dogs and Sushi

The US exports a stupid large amount of chicken feet to China. I tried to look it up, but got some gaff from my browser.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:03 AM   #27
LT7A

I like corn dogs and sushi but just not in the same sentence for some reason, haha.

But in the spirit of the discussion, I've added quite a few things to the list of what I like over the years, but not much has dropped off.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:36 AM   #28
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Over in Japan chicken feet are called "paws".
Imagine that, every other animal they're called "paws".

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:37 AM   #29
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

not sure about China, but here chicken feet are used flavorful broth. Never tried it myself
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:41 AM   #30
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
not sure about China, but here chicken feet are used flavorful broth. Never tried it myself
My grandmother cooked us fried chicken and she ate the feet and knawed on the bone pile...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-16-2022, 02:02 AM   #31
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Chicken bones and feet make for some good broth. If I spatchcock a chicken or a turkey I always save the backbone and bones for broth. Any bones. That's where the flavor is. It's way better than the canned stuff.

I might throw in some spices. But that's a secret recipe and I'm not talking.

I save bones and grease. My freezer looks like Jeffery Dahmer lived here.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Imagine that, every other animal they're called "paws".
I call them claws. Chickens are birds, right? They are claws if one attacks you!

How about pigs feet? How come those aren't hoofs? That's where I got the "Ain't good for nothin' but keeping the ham out of the mud" thing I turned into chicken feet. Ole Paul Thompson the mechanic, worked with George at the Columbia Pike Amoco owned by George's b-i-l (Steve). George was a Chevy truck nut, had some sweet 67-72s, part of what got me going on them. They drank beer all day. Paul got a DUI test driving a customer's car . They refused to work on any of my stuff. "Bring it over and fix it out there on the lot. If you get stumped we'll walk you through it. Steve will rip you off if we work on it." I hung out there a lot and learned a lot. Drank some beer, too. Talk about eating. Next door was The Dutchess, a sandwich shop run by the Hungarian man and his wife. He was the sandwich Nazi. You had to tell him how you wanted your sandwich the way he made it. LTM, right? WRONG!! It's mayo, then lettuce, then tomato! He sliced the meat for each sandwich as he made it. There would be a line out the door, but that's how he did it. Even though you already told him up front, before putting the top slice of bread on he would always ask, "salt peppa?". That's what we would all the place, "Want to go to salt Peppa for a sammich?". Quite a character. Great sandwiches, a local icon. Also made great milkshakes from hand dipped in many flavors. That was the wife's duty. No sooner did "milkshake" come out of your mouth and he would shout "MILKSHAKE" and she would hop to it lickity split. I heard people ask him how many sandwiches he made in a day. He'd reply, "I tell you dat and you figure out how much money I make and tell IRS"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-16-2022 at 09:06 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #33
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I call them claws. Chickens are birds, right? They are claws if one attacks you!

How about pigs feet? How come those aren't hoofs? That's where I got the "Ain't good for nothin' but keeping the ham out of the mud" thing I turned into chicken feet. Ole Paul Thompson the mechanic, worked with George at the Columbia Pike Amoco owned by George's b-i-l (Steve). George was a Chevy truck nut, had some sweet 67-72s, part of what got me going on them. They drank beer all day. Paul got a DUI test driving a customer's car . They refused to work on any of my stuff. "Bring it over and fix it out there on the lot. If you get stumped we'll walk you through it. Steve will rip you off if we work on it." I hung out there a lot and learned a lot. Drank some beer, too. Talk about eating. Next door was The Dutchess, a sandwich shop run by the Hungarian man and his wife. He was the sandwich Nazi. You had to tell him how you wanted your sandwich the way he made it. LTM, right? WRONG!! It's mayo, then lettuce, then tomato! He sliced the meat for each sandwich as he made it. There would be a line out the door, but that's how he did it. Even though you already told him up front, before putting the top slice of bread on he would always ask, "salt peppa?". That's what we would all the place, "Want to go to salt Peppa for a sammich?". Quite a character. Great sandwiches, a local icon. Also made great milkshakes from hand dipped in many flavors. That was the wife's duty. No sooner did "milkshake" come out of your mouth and he would shout "MILKSHAKE" and she would hop to it lickity split. I heard people ask him how many sandwiches he made in a day. He'd reply, "I tell you dat and you figure out how much money I make and tell IRS"
Sounds like a place that I used to go to. They had the best Empanada's and salsa. The place was always packed out the door. A bunch of old bags worked there and they were not friendly. They would take your order and move on to the next person. No number or anything. I don't know how they kept it straight who ordered what but they did. I never got a wrong order. It was amazing how they could remember who ordered what in a room full of people.

I used to go to a bar with a friend of mine. They had a big jar of pickled pigs feet and he would always get one. Every single time. I tried one once and thought it was disgusting. But he ate them like candy.
I recently saw a cooking show and they cooked up some pigs feet and they looked pretty darn good. I might have to give them a second chance.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #34
special-K
Special Order

I always settled for the hot (pickled?) sausages from a jar. Never pigs feet or hard boiled (purple) eggs. That was back before bars knew what food was. Anyone remember Stewart sandwiches? I think they invented the microwave . Real roach coach quality food right there!

I stopped into a bar one day and bumped into a guy I hung out with in 9th grade, Weasel Fernandez. After a while we both decided to order a ham & cheese sandwich, about the only choice (not a Stewart). I ordered whole wheat and he ordered white. They came out and nothing seemed unusual. We both picked them up while talking/looking at each other and as we tilted them toward our mouth we both stopped. "Hey, they gave you my sandwich". We set them back on the plate to switch and they looked like the right sandwich. Picked back up to check and yep, both had white on one side and whole wheat on the other but were set in front of us looking like what he ordered! We had a great laugh, called the bartender over and she had a great laugh. Everyone in the bar wanted to know what was so funny, so the whole bar had a great laugh. The cook came out to see what all the laughter was about and found out the laugh was on him... and he had a great laugh. I think he had just snuck out back and got stoned

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #35
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I had to look up what a Stewart sandwich is. I never heard of them. They remind me of a 7-11 sandwich which is one step better than starving. Those packaged sandwiches just never taste right.

They remind me of when I had surgery. Not a big deal I didn't even have to spend the night in the hospital. But they put me under anesthesia. So when I woke up I had to eat something before they would release me. I don't know why. But that was the rule.

So. They bring me a turkey sandwich. The most God awful turkey sandwich that I have ever eaten. But I had to eat it or they wouldn't cut me loose. It might as well have been made of cardboard. And here's the kicker. That sandwich cost 14 bucks.

My local gas station has a Subway in it. I have to hand it to Subway. They aren't the best but they're not bad. If your in a pinch to get something fast or just don't want to cook they'll fix you up. And they are everywhere. I get the hot Italian and add Sriracha hot sauce and jalapeno's. Don't order that if you don't want to sweat and take off your hat. It's friggen hot. But so good.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

I guess those Stewart sandwiches are a thing of the past now. But let me tell you. I don't care if they've been gone for 50 years, you can not make a good sandwich and call it a Stewart. Nobody will eat it! There ARE always options!!

Tim

Old 01-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #37
LS short box

All of you aren't forgetting about the pickled turkey gizzards in the bars back in the day?
Yum yum.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:37 PM   #38
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
All of you aren't forgetting about the pickled turkey gizzards in the bars back in the day?
Yum yum.
I didn't forget, never knew they existed. But, they sound terrible to me....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #39
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I love me some gizzards fried up in butter. But I don't know about pickled gizzards. That sounds kind of funky to me.

I like fried chicken livers too. Been known to eat a package of them back in my stoner days. I ate an entire package of bacon once too. I had the munchies. My ex wife asked me what happened to all of the bacon? And why is the kitchen such a mess?

I don't know honey.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:16 PM   #40
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Chicken bones and feet make for some good broth. If I spatchcock a chicken or a turkey I always save the backbone and bones for broth. Any bones. That's where the flavor is. It's way better than the canned stuff.

I might throw in some spices. But that's a secret recipe and I'm not talking.

I save bones and grease. My freezer looks like Jeffery Dahmer lived here.
you and me both lol..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
X2. Never heard of those. I like mine fresh! Just what kind of bar did you go to?

Tim

Old 01-16-2022, 11:49 PM   #42
Ol Blue K20

Chicken livers are catfish bait..

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Even on a feathers day?

Tim

Old 01-17-2022, 04:43 AM   #44
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
They're pretty good when you're stoned. At least that's what I heard.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #45
special-K
Special Order

I lived with a girlfriend who used to fix those. She'd bread them up and fry them. I ate them and they were good. Never found another woman who fixed them. My ex-wife had some food weirdness. No fish or shell fish... except crabs and lobster (the expensive stuff). I eat a lot of fish now. A more recent girlfriend had a mom who was Seventh Day Adventist, and they have some Old Testament eating habits, things that are no-nos. Although she didn't follow her mom's religious beliefs, the eating habits were instilled... somewhat. She didn't eat shellfish, except crabs and shrimp, and was kind of funny about pork, but would eat some on occasion. She was always counting calories and it showed! Now she's vegetarian and looks like she lost count on the calories some time ago . I always thought I'd get skinny if I became vegetarian. I guess she's hungry all the time now . And she's the one who says she's a hog, certainly not a thing I would say. I only commented on her calorie counting

Tim

Old 01-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #46
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Even on a feathers day?
yep even on feathers day....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #47
72c20customcamper

Really need to not click on any of Pauls food related threads .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #48
Rich84

For me it's my taste in alcohol that has changed. Grew up drinking Budweiser, then it was on to Captain and coke. From there it was 7 and ginger..Then it was cheap wine, then it was expensive wine, now it's bourbon, Crown royal, good wine ,cognac, Tito's and Tequila and beer.

Never had a corn dog, but I do eat hot dogs.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Corn dogs would come with mustard already on them if it wasn't better to apply it fresh, after heating, ready to bite. I have always loved mustard. It has it's own shelf on my fridge door (same a hot sauce). I just counted 9 different types. The problem is I don't eat much anymore that I use it on. I'm kind of a square about what you put on what food. I need to start exploring more. I eat ham, but mostly on egg sandwiches. I really don't fix hot dogs, but I eat sausages. I have a hot pepper relish I like on sausage. I mostly make turkey sandwiches for work. I guess I should try mustard on those. What else id mustard good on? I definitely put it on burgers! Turkey or beef, mustard is all I need

Tim

Old 01-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #50
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Corn dogs would come with mustard already on them if it wasn't better to apply it fresh, after heating, ready to bite. I have always loved mustard. It has it's own shelf on my fridge door (same a hot sauce). I just counted 9 different types. The problem is I don't eat much anymore that I use it on. I'm kind of a square about what you put on what food. I need to start exploring more. I eat ham, but mostly on egg sandwiches. I really don't fix hot dogs, but I eat sausages. I have a hot pepper relish I like on sausage. I mostly make turkey sandwiches for work. I guess I should try mustard on those. What else id mustard good on? I definitely put it on burgers! Turkey or beef, mustard is all I need
I have a lot of different mustards. Probably 10 in the fridge. Same with hot sauce/salsa, and peppers, hot and mild.

My wife just bought some weird gadget. A bourbon smoker. I had never heard of one. But can't wait to make some BBQ sauce with smoked bourbon. I think that'll work.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.