The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #76
TrybalRage

Re: First time swap started

Well ran into my first snag. Got the newer style condenser, and I just don't see how it can fit without a bunch of cutting of the core support (which I dont want to do). It's much, much wider than the original. So I'll be sending it back and getting an 85 replacement. Might make the hoses easier too.

I do think I'm going to go with PCM controls, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the fans. Right now I have dual electric, and the second is actually re-using the old control from a recirculator blend door or something like that. From a little research it seems that in 01/02 there wasn't a second fan control, cause all the trucks had mechanical fans. The guy who unlocked my PCM and programmed the fans (Lt1swap.com) said that he can reprogram it so that fan 1 comes on with the AC... well fan 1 is always on within minutes of warming up, and never turns back off so I don't really see the point in that.

I might be able to set up another relay to provide the ground to the fan 2 relay when I turn on the AC from the truck.. going to have to mull over that a little.

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #77
TrybalRage

Ordered some Cold Hose adapter fittings.

https://coldhose.com/collections/hk9...35532197494944

Even with these it's gonna be tight. I was hoping to avoid notching the frame with these engine mounts, but I think I'm still going to have to.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #78
notsolo

Would those adapters work any better with a stock pump?. Post a photo when you get them in.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #79
TrybalRage

Will do.

Got the new evaporator core in tonight. Pro tip - if you plan on refreshing your AC system with new parts, replace the thing while your motor is out. Lord.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #80
TrybalRage

Been a while since an update, life happened and I haven't really be putting time in this.

Got the compressor installed, I did need to notch the frame a little to make room for it. Excuse the janky cuts, I was trying to work around the heater hoses as I didn't want to drain the system again after just putting a new water pump in.

New custom hoses from Cold Hose coming this week, and ordered an AC servicing setup off amazon that includes a pump and gauge manifold set.

I wish cold hose split up their fittings, but they don't you have to buy them as a set. The extension on the high pressure side it great, but the suction side could have just been a straight up fitting (which they also sell, but as a set).

Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #81
TrybalRage

Well, new hoses installed but have been having problems with the R134 conversion adapters.

First one damaged the existing schrader valve in my new accumulator. Was told to leave it in place, but it fully depresses the valve and then attaching the service port and opening it, broke both valves in the accumulator and the adapter.

Removed the existing schrader for the second one, charged the system but it's not holding the pressure and leaks profusely as soon as the port from my gauge manifold is removed.

Just have a new one added to your new hoses if going this route.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 AM   #82
jjzepplin

It is for these reasons that I am moving the AC up on the engine. This will also make servicing much easier. I really wanted to go the route you are using, but ultimately opted out. Your method makes a much cleaner look and should be very reliable.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #83
TrybalRage

I don't know about cleaner, there's a lot of hoses running around here, haha.

For reference, I used this image (courtesy of Scotty Baccus from from the LS Swapped Square body facebook group) for my wiring of the AC system (already had the fans wired previously).

Even with my currently leaky fitting the compressor kicked on when I started adding refrigerant and cooled the cab down quite nicely.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #84
jjzepplin

I am assuming that using the ECM for compressor control that there is a built in " Wide Open Throttle" compressor shut down? I am also assuming that this will work with a Sanden compressor?
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #85
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I am assuming that using the ECM for compressor control that there is a built in " Wide Open Throttle" compressor shut down? I am also assuming that this will work with a Sanden compressor?
I honestly don't know. My ECM was just unlocked with no other tuning done, so I assume it works like factory?

Old 06-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #86
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post

For reference, I used this image (courtesy of Scotty Baccus from from the LS Swapped Square body facebook group) for my wiring of the AC system (already had the fans wired previously).
This will work for the fans and will control the A/C compressor, will cut it off at full throttle too, but it doesn't appear there is any A/C control over the fans in this schematic. As long as the engine is up to temperature and the fans are already on it will work alright, but until then you will have no fans pulling air across the condenser. Also, you will almost never have the high speed fans on, which will make the A/C temperature in the cab warmer than you will probably like when you're not moving above 40mph or so. Just something to think about. I would put a trinary switch in it to control the fans whenever the A/C needs them.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #87
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
This will work for the fans and will control the A/C compressor, will cut it off at full throttle too, but it doesn't appear there is any A/C control over the fans in this schematic. As long as the engine is up to temperature and the fans are already on it will work alright, but until then you will have no fans pulling air across the condenser. Also, you will almost never have the high speed fans on, which will make the A/C temperature in the cab warmer than you will probably like when you're not moving above 40mph or so. Just something to think about. I would put a trinary switch in it to control the fans whenever the A/C needs them.
From what the guy who unlocked my PCM tells me, it can be adjusted to command the fan(s) on automatically with the AC - although mine is not currently doing so. I do have dual fans, and when warmed up they're pretty much both running all the time as it is.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #88
Davidf

My setup will be similar. I have dual condenser fans wired through relays with power supplied via the compressor relay. So, a/c on, fans on. My assumption is that using the ECM to control the compressor with allow for WOT a/c cutout and avoid idle dips when compressor clutch cycles. I have a "secondary a/c high pressure" ECM signal wire I cannot remember what to do with.... I retained the cycling switch and the switch in back of compressor in my donor wire harness. My '71 clutch wire will pass through a high pressure switch before connecting to A/C request of the ECM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #89
notsolo

Quote:
I don't know about cleaner, there's a lot of hoses running around here, haha.

Even with my currently leaky fitting the compressor kicked on when I started adding refrigerant and cooled the cab down quite nicely.
Looking good, I would rather be cool than look cool, compressor fittings are out of stock at "cold Hose" did they make your hoses also, special order or? Thanks for posting photo this is exactly what I would like to get.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #90
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Looking good, I would rather be cool than look cool, compressor fittings are out of stock at "cold Hose" did they make your hoses also, special order or? Thanks for posting photo this is exactly what I would like to get.
Yes I used their Custom Hose Builder to order them. I put the details in my google drive spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Has my fitting sizes, hose lengths that I ordered and notes about what I would have done different.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #91
Davidf

Quote:
Dang, I ordered my compressor adapter fittings from Cold Hose on 6/21/21 and they are scheduled to show up today. Wonder if I got the las set. Still may buy regular straight up adapter fittings as well and mix and match.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #92
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Dang, I ordered my compressor adapter fittings from Cold Hose on 6/21/21 and they are scheduled to show up today. Wonder if I got the las set. Still may buy regular straight up adapter fittings as well and mix and match.
Yeah it's a shame they don't sell them that way. The pressure line is perfect pointing towards the front like that but the suction line is a bunch of wasted hose since it could go right in the top.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #93
Davidf

Quote:
Yes I used their Custom Hose Builder to order them. I put the details in my google drive spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Has my fitting sizes, hose lengths that I ordered and notes about what I would have done different.
Good stuff, thanks for posting. We are using the exact same engine (year and type). What did you use for a throttle cable?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #94
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Good stuff, thanks for posting. We are using the exact same engine (year and type). What did you use for a throttle cable?
Used a throttle cable off a similar donor vehicle (early 2000s truck). The firewall hole needs to be opened very slightly due to the slight difference in shape of the bulkhead fitting. Just a quick touch with a dremel and it's it good.

Also I had to get on the floor and bend the gas pedal rod a bit. Stock it doesn't put any pressure on the cable at rest. Bend it up a little bit so that it takes the slack out and it's good.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #95
Davidf

Quote:
BTW, been using this photo for reference when discussing hoses, special fittings, hard lines, etc with my local a/c parts/rebuilders/custom shop. I too purchased the Cold Hose adapters that send the compressors fittings straight to the front. Make sense for the high side, but not for the low side which can go straight up and still clear the frame. So, I asked the local shop if he had the high side regular adapter and said out of them, but on order and hard to get because of metal shortage, etc. But, he said just bring in the donor hose/fitting and he will make what I want. Bingo! Why didn't I think of that? Glad I purchase the entire donor vehicle. So, going straight from compressor to accumulator with a #10 hose stepped up to #12 at the accumulator.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #96
TrybalRage

Realized I never updated this. I kept having leaking issues with the low side retrofit adapters (R12 > R134a) so I sent the suction line back to Cold Hose and had them add a new spliced-in suction port. After refilling the system blows ice cold and is working great!
First time I've had working AC in this thing since I bought it in 2014.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #97
jjzepplin

Congratulations! Great job!
Old 09-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #98
notsolo

Just getting back to finishing A/C...OEM Compressor 2001 Silverado.....new condenser ( crossflow) new "87" -"90's " evaporator new dryer acumulator with a switch. Wires dark green light green...How should it be wired..No fans....request wire from ECM and green and black wire from 71 in the cab...2001 Compressor front wires green and black, rear are green with a white stripe and LT blue. Searched but have not seen results I can follow....Thanks in advance...Ed